First Whole30 starts tomorrow 2/1/14! Who's with me?

Karinne

I woke up tired. I just wanted to crawl back into bed. Yesterday, I overslept by 45 minutes! Good thing I'm a morning person and always pad my ams with extra time before work. We'll push through. 

Verdana - You passed on the Starbucks! You are a warrior!  Your intestines are looking beautiful and thanking you. Hang in there. You don't want your butt kicked! LOL 

drtracyb - sorry to here about your dad's troubles.  It's a rough time to help parents heal. Sounds like you are cooking up a storm! I'm going to get some of those delicious nomnompaleo recipes, I will! Did you find them on line? I wish I could afford to hire a cook! They sound amazing! Sometimes, I like to just sit and look through cookbooks and dream . . . Okay, so I only did this one time on this new adventure. Hoping to have the luxury of more time soon.  I'm keeping my cooking so very simple.  

As scarletta said, "Roll on day 7!" 

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Verdana-may I ask? How much do you weigh? If that's too private, what's your BMI? I used to suffer from an eating disorder as well and sometimes you simply don't see yourself accurately OR, not because of bad intentions, you have these adverse "symptoms" to things that are largely overblown in your head in order to justify the behavior that allows you to more effectively restrict calories. I'm not sure if this is going on with you but I'd really give this an honest shot and stay off the scale. Try to have a healthy relationship with sugar--yes, for the W30 that means fruit...maybe have some fruit on a salad or something like that. I hope the flabby feeling goes away because I know with such negative feelings it would be hard to stick to this for very long.

Posted before I was done above..sorry..re sugar in the coffee. My dad's view was that if we weren't old enough to drink it unsweetened and black, we weren't old enough to drink coffee. His hope of course was that we would hate it unadorned and avoid drinking coffee. NOT. Determined to have coffe, I bit the bullet and drank it black. He did me a huge favor! Sugar is an acquired taste..most of us acquire it so young we consider it normal. Eventually it can become an addiction. Which is part physcial craving and part head trip. Love that Whole30 recognizes this and is trying to alter habit patterns as well as trying to detox sugar lovers!

Day 6. Got into a pair of jeans I couldn't wear 6 days ago..I am dumbstruck at the puffiness and lethargy that has departed. Had one day of emotional meltdown the second day in. About the third day i had intestinal grumblings, since then have felt great. Monitored my glucose (have been told I am pre diabetic, so have a glucometer) here and there as i do when trying something different and it's been stable. So far so good. My only issue now is that I need some recipes for things like compliant tomato sauce and mayo. Jarred mayo isn't due to the chemicals and preservatives.

How are all you other early Feb. starters doing?

Yay I completed day 5. I felt much better most of the day. My energy fell though in the afternoon. I am really proud of myself in that I came up against 2 big temptations and didn't cheat. First was working where 3 types of yummy cookies were being made and the next was coming home to my brother making crescent rolls. The smells drove me crazy. I feel really good about that.

I did work more than usual and am not feeling great because I didn't get enough sleep. At least my allergy cold is going away and I am not coughing all night.

I had Turkey burger with asparagus

Burger w/ carrots, celery, daikon, jicama

Turkey breast with salad

Ground turkey w/ dill & apple (diced in) the rest of the mixed veggies and some fruit salad (apple, pear, blueberries

Turkey veggie soup

Good morning to all. Another day, another vegetable... Seriously, who know I'd be cooking so many vegetables? I feel like every two hours I'm cooking another vegetable!

Oh, Verdana, it IS hard to deal with stress and food things at the same time. There's so much comfort that can be had from old habits and especially if they keep you feeling "normal" and this new venture has you feeling crappy. It's good to vent. Gets it out. Hang in there. You really can do this. You can. And all this terrible feeling and cravings will pass. The sugar/sugar substitute issue is a dilemma, especially if you do love sweet. Can you search through the forums a bit and look for some assistance? Or, because you are probably short on time (being in grad school), simply post that you need some information and help? I feel sure someone will jump in to respond. Please try it. Having some answers will help, especially when you are really craving stuff.

Tonight will be an interesting test for me -- people over, bringing potluck dishes of who knows what. Also, heading into having my period this week. That usually means low energy for me and cravings even when not on Whole30! And I'm realizing I have to cook enough on Sunday to see me through the week. I just don't have the energy or time to cook at night after work. That's another possible downfall for me. If I don't cook, I'm likely to eat out and that could be disastrous! But by the weekend I get to say I did a whole week. That will be a good feeling. My jeans are feeling looser, but it might just be that I wore the same pair a couple days in a row and they were stretched out. LOL I'm determined not to get on a scale until the end of 30 days. Some more motivation for me: I ride a motorcycle. Gear is very expensive. I bought a really nice pair of riding pants last summer and they were just on the verge of being too small even then.  I definitely gained weight over the winter. I REFUSE to buy new ones. I will fit back into them, with room to spare. Dang it.

I will think: MOTORCYCLE PANTS. You find your two word motivator. Let's do this!!!

Posted before I was done above..sorry..re sugar in the coffee. My dad's view was that if we weren't old enough to drink it unsweetened and black, we weren't old enough to drink coffee. His hope of course was that we would hate it unadorned and avoid drinking coffee. NOT. Determined to have coffe, I bit the bullet and drank it black. He did me a huge favor! Sugar is an acquired taste..most of us acquire it so young we consider it normal. Eventually it can become an addiction. Which is part physcial craving and part head trip. Love that Whole30 recognizes this and is trying to alter habit patterns as well as trying to detox sugar lovers!

Day 6. Got into a pair of jeans I couldn't wear 6 days ago..I am dumbstruck at the puffiness and lethargy that has departed. Had one day of emotional meltdown the second day in. About the third day i had intestinal grumblings, since then have felt great. Monitored my glucose (have been told I am pre diabetic, so have a glucometer) here and there as i do when trying something different and it's been stable. So far so good. My only issue now is that I need some recipes for things like compliant tomato sauce and mayo. Jarred mayo isn't due to the chemicals and preservatives.

How are all you other early Feb. starters doing?

Here's a mayo recipe: http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/06/03/the-secret-to-homemade-mayo-patience/%C2'>

and I'm not sure what you mean by tomato sauce since many canned versions are compliant. Do you mean ketchup or pasta sauce? 

Good morning to all. Another day, another vegetable... Seriously, who know I'd be cooking so many vegetables? I feel like every two hours I'm cooking another vegetable!

Tonight will be an interesting test for me -- people over, bringing potluck dishes of who knows what. Also, heading into having my period this week. That usually means low energy for me and cravings even when not on Whole30! And I'm realizing I have to cook enough on Sunday to see me through the week. I just don't have the energy or time to cook at night after work. That's another possible downfall for me. If I don't cook, I'm likely to eat out and that could be disastrous! But by the weekend I get to say I did a whole week. That will be a good feeling.

Do you have a chipotle near you? They have compliant carnitas and you can get a bowl with guacamole and salsa if you must go out. Also, keeping hard boiled eggs, compliant sausage, and tuna on hand makes for a no-fuss dinner so you won't feel tempted to cave and go out. Just a few ideas that might help. 

Verdana - You passed on the Starbucks! You are a warrior!  Your intestines are looking beautiful and thanking you. Hang in there. You don't want your butt kicked! LOL 

You are so right. She is a warrior (princess). I forgot to say "Good job!" Seriously, I know the feeling. I often stop for coffee and a muffin or croissant at my corner coffeehouse. Every morning in the car I have to point my car in the other direction intentionally. I miss my morning peeps that I say hello to! I know it's more the socialization and the ritual of it than anything else. Suppose I could stop and get a black coffee, but I'm going to wait until I have more time under my belt so I don't cave. You will be my inspiration, Warrior Verdana! And if I give in, then you can kick MY butt. From afar.

Runninglawyer88 -- No, no Chipotle near me. But since I live in Santa Fe, there are plenty of opportunities to get those kinds of foods! You're right. I can go out an find something if I need to. And thanks for the suggestions of easy things to keep on hand. Good ideas.

Off to work now, peeps.

MOTORCYCLE PANTS! Let's do this!

The nomnompaleo website has a ton of recipes.  I do have her book but was cooking from her website way before the book came out.

Homemade mayo is really easy to make with a hand blender or with a food processor.  nomnompaleo or theclothesmakethegirl has recipes on line.

Compliant tomato sauce is easy to make, too.  Saute garlic and onion, add diced tomatoes and some italian spices.  Delish.

Haha, yes they are pretty happy actually. I woke up this morning and for the first time in forever my stomach was not bloated at all!

Verdana-may I ask? How much do you weigh? If that's too private, what's your BMI? I used to suffer from an eating disorder as well and sometimes you simply don't see yourself accurately OR, not because of bad intentions, you have these adverse "symptoms" to things that are largely overblown in your head in order to justify the behavior that allows you to more effectively restrict calories. I'm not sure if this is going on with you but I'd really give this an honest shot and stay off the scale. Try to have a healthy relationship with sugar--yes, for the W30 that means fruit...maybe have some fruit on a salad or something like that. I hope the flabby feeling goes away because I know with such negative feelings it would be hard to stick to this for very long.

Unfortunately, it's not a case of me being thin and thinking I'm fat. I really appreciate your gentle wording though! I'm almost 5'4" and although my weight has been all over the map, I'm currently at my highest weight (or at least I was before I started whole 30, not sure now) and that is ~144 lbs. And I know it sounds like I'm some kind of hypochondriac kook, but the symptoms I experience are real. Here is the result of my fruit consumption on days 1 and 2:

photo-13.jpg

My skin was clear before. Ugh. Luckily it's calming down now, as you can see. I'm sure you can imagine what happens if I eat refined sugar in "normal" dessert form. It gets way worse. It's not cool to have body acne :/

That's funny--you are lucky! Both of my parents put sugar and cream in their coffee. I was always taking sips from their cups at a young age, so by 6 they began letting me have a small cup every morning too.

Yay I completed day 5. I felt much better most of the day. My energy fell though in the afternoon. I am really proud of myself in that I came up against 2 big temptations and didn't cheat. First was working where 3 types of yummy cookies were being made and the next was coming home to my brother making crescent rolls. The smells drove me crazy. I feel really good about that.

Awesome job! A weaker person would have caved to that kind of temptation. Especially the cookies. Holy eff, I want cookies now--ok, I will go drink some water and try to get my mind to think of not-homemade-cookie-related things.

Oh, Verdana, it IS hard to deal with stress and food things at the same time. There's so much comfort that can be had from old habits and especially if they keep you feeling "normal" and this new venture has you feeling crappy. It's good to vent. Gets it out. Hang in there. You really can do this. You can. And all this terrible feeling and cravings will pass. The sugar/sugar substitute issue is a dilemma, especially if you do love sweet. Can you search through the forums a bit and look for some assistance? Or, because you are probably short on time (being in grad school), simply post that you need some information and help? I feel sure someone will jump in to respond. Please try it. Having some answers will help, especially when you are really craving stuff.

It is good to vent. That tends to be the way I deal with problems. It allows me move forward...eventually :-)

I like the suggestion someone threw out about trying a little bit of fruit in a salad. That would keep me from abusing it, and yet it might give me a little satisfaction. I will try searching the forums like you suggested.

You are so right. She is a warrior (princess). I forgot to say "Good job!" Seriously, I know the feeling. I often stop for coffee and a muffin or croissant at my corner coffeehouse. Every morning in the car I have to point my car in the other direction intentionally. I miss my morning peeps that I say hello to! I know it's more the socialization and the ritual of it than anything else. Suppose I could stop and get a black coffee, but I'm going to wait until I have more time under my belt so I don't cave. You will be my inspiration, Warrior Verdana! And if I give in, then you can kick MY butt. From afar.

Lol, warrior princess. That makes me think of the Hayao Miyazaki film "Princess Mononoke". I love that movie. Anyway, no don't cave! I don't want to have to kick you from afar. And afar it would be since I'm in Illinois :P

Hey everyone. Yesterday (Day 5) was rough. My uncle-in-law passed away, and I wanted so badly to make comfort food for everyone, including myself. Instead of relying on mashed potatoes, fried breaded chicken, and mac and cheese, I threw some foods in the slow cooker:  white onions and green bell peppers on bottom, four chicken breasts, and diced tomatoes with homemade taco seasoning on top. That turned into taco salad when combined with lettuce, avocado, and homemade salsa.

It was satisfying and comforting! I brought some of the leftovers today to work for lunch. I feel pretty good today, except I'm still struggling to find a suitable drink. I'm tired of plain, unflavored water, yet I haven't found that "just right" mix of flavorings to add.

Day 6 is going pretty well. I've finished 1/6 of the month and will have finished 1/5 by the end of today!

Hi everyone. Yesterday was a bit tough for me-I think I may have been in my "kill all the things" mode! I was just feeling rage-y for no apparent reason. Little things would set me off. And on top of that it was just a bad day at work. Today I feel ok though.

Last night we went to chipotle for dinner. Ate W30 compliant stuff, of course-salad with carnitas, pico de gallo salsa, and guacamole. It was delicious! Nice to eat something other than my own cooking for a change.

I've noticed that my energy levels have slowly declined this week-my workouts are getting harder and harder for me to complete. Not sure if it's due to W30 or this cold I'm battling, or both. Overall I feel great though-it seems that my stomach is a little flatter. Yay!

This morning we had a coworker's birthday celebration at work. With cake. In my cube. But I was able to pass on the cake without batting an eye. It was awesome!

Hope everyone has a great day!

Hi Everyone! I've been out of the loop for a few days, just happily going along on my eating W30 plan, when suddenly yesterday I hit the wall! I had to leave work early to go home, and I slept for a good 2 hours. then this morning I moved very slowly and got to work an hour late. fortunately I have flexibility.  Is anyone else super tired at this point? I must have been more sugar addicted than I thought.

Hi, Everyone!  Day 6 and I'm feeling really good.  Thanks, EJSMadhatter for the tip on hot flashes - they're not a lot better yet, but I swear the intensity is down.  It's only been a couple days, so I'm still hopeful.

Thanks to everyone else for the many tips/ideas/thoughts about working through tough situations and great recipes.  I feel like my meals have become substantially more tasty - I was pretty careful before but did it on my own and didn't know much about cooking this way.  Ghee is a new thing for me and I'm loving it!

I have a question, if anyone can help me.  My understanding of W30 was that it is about helping us identify foods that cause us problems, whether skin conditions, health issues related to hormonal imbalances, unhealthy eating habits.  What I'm not understanding is why you would do it more than once?  I'm trying to prepare for the end of this 30 days with the right mind set.  I'm planning on adding one food item it at a time to ID the item(s) that are causing my particualr issues.  Once ID'd, I'm planning on going back to a low glycemic load quasi Paleo diet minus those items I've identified.  I guess I don't see the benefit of doing this again after I've done that - can anyone help me with that point?  I don't want to put myself in a mindset caused by unrealistic expectations which could cause me to fail in the long run.  Thanks!

I have a question, if anyone can help me.  My understanding of W30 was that it is about helping us identify foods that cause us problems, whether skin conditions, health issues related to hormonal imbalances, unhealthy eating habits.  What I'm not understanding is why you would do it more than once?  I'm trying to prepare for the end of this 30 days with the right mind set.  I'm planning on adding one food item it at a time to ID the item(s) that are causing my particualr issues.  Once ID'd, I'm planning on going back to a low glycemic load quasi Paleo diet minus those items I've identified.  I guess I don't see the benefit of doing this again after I've done that - can anyone help me with that point?  I don't want to put myself in a mindset caused by unrealistic expectations which could cause me to fail in the long run.  Thanks!

Everybody is there own individual snowflake (I like this saying today). Some people don't need multiple W30s. Some people do. Common reasons I've seen are to just get back on track after a vacation or holidays with more offroading than normal. Some people need more than 30 days to really heal from things before they are ready to reintroduce. Some people may slay one dragon on their first round but when they go to ride their own bike find another dragon that needs slaying. Whatever you choose to do is your choice. People doing multiple rounds or extended rounds of W30 doesn't mean it doesn't work...it just means they personally need to revisit it or extend it to reach their goals.

Thanks, Phsybeth - that actually does make sense to me.  I guess I wasn't really thinking much beyond the next month or two.  I can certainly see why so many people are doing this after the holidays - I'll probably find myself doing it again come January of next year!  :) 

Having said that, is there any particular way to "know" that enough healing has taken place?  I've had internal pain and digestive problems after a major illness now for some time and I'm not sure that CAN go away ... I'm looking for an answer that may not be out there - if this doesn't resolve my issues after 30 days do I just maintain this method of eating forever?  If I see some improvement, does it make sense that another 30 days would continue the healing?  I know there are no exact answers, but I'm guessing someone out there has had this type ofissue and has some experience with something similar.  Any thoughts?

Thanks, Phsybeth - that actually does make sense to me.  I guess I wasn't really thinking much beyond the next month or two.  I can certainly see why so many people are doing this after the holidays - I'll probably find myself doing it again come January of next year!  :)

Having said that, is there any particular way to "know" that enough healing has taken place?  I've had internal pain and digestive problems after a major illness now for some time and I'm not sure that CAN go away ... I'm looking for an answer that may not be out there - if this doesn't resolve my issues after 30 days do I just maintain this method of eating forever?  If I see some improvement, does it make sense that another 30 days would continue the healing?  I know there are no exact answers, but I'm guessing someone out there has had this type ofissue and has some experience with something similar.  Any thoughts?

This blog post might help. http://whole30.com/2013/02/multiple-whole30s/

As I'm not a doctor I can't tell you for sure. My advice would be to start with your initial W30 and the reintroduction phase and then evaluate all the data from there. Most people who have a good experience with W30 try to eat pretty close to it after the fact just allowing for more offroading based on the results of their reintroductions. For example I didn't have an drastic reactions in reintro but also know that I feel better eating W30 style so I came up with rules that fell in line with that. Others might have strong reactions to everything and decide to stay pretty close all the time and make a rare exception for something special and worth it. Lots of people are somewhere in between.

Archived