First Whole30 starts tomorrow 2/1/14! Who's with me?

Karinne

All those recipes sound so good. I have been having a hard time finding ones because right now I can't have any night shade veggies, mushroom, dried fruit, chicken, shell fish, garlic and onions because I have been having problems with them lately. I am going to try the Asian ground beef recipe from nomnompaleo taking out all the things I can't do.

Boy what I wouldn't give for a cheese burger and French fries. I am or have been a fast food junkie over the past few years. Instead I made a lettuce wrap avocado burger with sweet potatoes fries. Today I would say has been the worst with the cravings for carbs. Not sure why. I was hoping that they would decrease by now. I am not doing that much fruit, maybe 1 full serving split between 2 meals. I have only done 1 1/2 sweet potatoes during the week too. I think I may need to increase my meat and fat. I can only eat so much when I eat this was so the meals tend to be small so I eat more often, usually every 3-4 hrs. Plus with hypoglycemia I need to make sure I don't go too hungry. I don't think I had enough water too, that fell out today because usually I drink a lot. I found that the kombucha tea did help and I have been taking probiotics too. 

Anyway good night all and see you tomorrow

Today is kind of a big day for me. This is usually the date by which I end up cheating. I have never gone past 10 days of clean eating. After this I will sit down and do the worksheet #2. I am sticking up the reasons why I am doing this all over my house. I will be checking in daily and writing a log every day. I am making my food for tomorrow. I am going to make a zucchini salad with olives and artichoke hearts tomorrow. I am also going to pick up the recommended fish sauce. This will be the first time I have ever gotten that and am looking forward to cooking with it.

I need to get my book up to date which is what I bring with me so that I have read it if I am really having problems

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well for me I have to do it longer because it is going to take more that 30 days to heal my intestines and I have adrenal failure so that dictate what foods I will be able to add farther down the line. My Dr. mentioned that I will need to do 3 months before I can really start adding anything back in.

Last night I felt crave-y...I didn't indulge or eat anything non-compliant but I just wasn't quite satisfied after dinner. So, after eating a large plate of spaghetti squash with a piece of salmon I made myself 3 eggs, a small sweet potato, and finished it off with an apple. Yep, basically 2 dinners within minutes apart but that did the trick! 

Well, the past couple days have been a little tough. We got a lot of snow in our area and I've been home with the family for nearly 48 hours straight. This kind of weather makes me feel like drinking some boozy hot cocoa, but of course that's not possible on the W30. I think part of the problem is I tend to eat when I'm bored, and though I've always got something to do at home, I feel bored and unable to leave the house with all the snow.

Then this morning I was feeling shaky, like when you have low blood sugar. I was still feeling that way after breakfast, so after breakfast I ate some grapes and cashews and felt better. I've hardly eaten any fruit since starting the W30, but not on purpose-I mostly eat fruit for snacks and not during meals, and since I haven't been snacking I've hardly had fruit. I've also been eating starchy carbs only at breakfast. I'm wondering if I need to up my carb intake, especially since I exercise 5-6 days a week. I had a sweet potato with my lunch today and I'm feeling fine this afternoon. Tonight I will be having spaghetti squash and meat sauce.

Today, for the first time since starting this, I felt like quitting. But I'm going to stick with it.

Doing ok here! Woke up with a hangover feeling that hasn't completely gone away. I didn't really have any starchy carbs yesterday compared to what have been eating, so I'm wondering if that's why. I cooked up a sweet potato for meal 3 along with roasted chicken and okra, so I'll see if that does the trick! Hope you feel better too MelissaT!

Melissa--before even considering quitting (not that you're actually going to) try adding a starchy carb to your post workout meal--if you're not doing a post workout meal then add a starchy carb to whatever meal that comes first after you've worked out--if that's breakfast then also add one to dinner to fuel you during your morning workout. I think that should help. I had a rough night last night as well--still hungry after eating a large dinner so I just ate more, added a sweet potato AND had an apple. Then all was well. 

Rach--you've be surprised at how effective it is to add a sweet potato to a meal. I find that it makes the difference between feeling like poop and feeling fantastic.

---------------------------------------

I think we should share our meals more often if you all are into that. I'll share today's. Here goes nothing...

Meal 1 (8:45am): 

3 eggs (fried), several large handfuls of kale plus chopped mushrooms sautéed, roasted green beans and an apple. 

Workout (11:15-12:45pm)

Meal 2 (1:30 pm):

Panera--avocado chicken cobb w/ turkey instead of chicken (no cheese, no dressing, no bacon) and an apple. 

Meal 3 (5:45pm): 

Thai coconut curry with cauliflower rice 

Meal 4 (9:30pm): 

4oz salmon fillet (they're pre-portioned), roasted green beans, and a small sweet potato topped with a sprinkle of sliced almonds 

Runninglawyer, thanks for the advice. I'm definitely going to add a starchy carb at dinner to ensure I have enough fuel for the workout the next day. I work out first thing in the morning.

Definitely feeling better later in the day today. Here are my meals for today:

Meal 1: 3 fried eggs, chicken and apple sausage, butternut squash, broccoli, bulletproof coffee

Snack (immediately following breakfast to help with blood sugar): grapes and cashews

Meal 2: curried chicken salad on a bed of spinach, sweet potato with ghee

Meal 3: spaghetti squash with meat sauce, spinach salad with olive oil and balsamic vinegar

Today was worse than yesterday. I did get more sleep but I was very dizzy and tired. I started off doing a big shopping so I could cook for the weekend and I think I waited too long to eat which may have been part of the problem. My legs felt week though when I got up. I made this wonderful salad and a snack for work and then proceeded to leave without it. Plus my employer freaked out about something and threatened to fire me. Well usually that would have set me off to McDonalds and a cocktail. Instead I went to work and was able to get a can of tuna and broccoli which was what I had. Luckily it wasn't a long day and that worked.

I am still really tired and going to take tomorrow and rest. My joints seem to be hurting me today and my sciatica is acting up. I am hoping tomorrow is better. I know I will eventually get there because I have gotten on the other side of this before.

Today I had ground beef and carrot soup

lamb burger, coconut, olives, and grapes

Can of tuna, broccoli

Turkey breast with carrots, celery, daikon, jicama with guacamole to dip.

End of day 9, and I'm glad to get that one in the can. I've got a bit of a personal crisis going on... life happens, you know? I haven't eaten anything off-plan. I just haven't really eaten anything at all apart from a boiled egg this morning and a couple of chicken legs this afternoon. At least I got some protein and didn't go for sweets or pastries which is my usual response to stress.

Hopefully the appetite will return tomorrow. But right now, I really need to sleep...

scarlett--I hope the crisis goes away or you find a way of managing it. I know life can be hard and during those times it's the hardest to stay on track so we're here for you! 

Man...today I've been AWFUL with my eating. I'm not sure if it's w30 related or what but I was HUNGRY this morning. 

pre-workout (mostly because I woke up hungry and didn't want to make breakfast because I always start my day with pilates before anything else): 

pistachios and hard boiled egg

meal 1:

• 3 eggs
  • huge amount of sautéed kale
  • small sweet potato with almonds
  • ~5-6 large strawberries 

meal 2 (maybe 2.5 hours later or so):

• shrimp and vegetable curry
  • couple tbsp of sunflower seeds
  • 1/2 date and a few unsweetened raisins

pre-workout (the real one--getting ready to run 8-10 miles depending on how I feel): 

• handful of black olives

This is before noon mind you. Lately i've been eating lunch around 2 or later so it's weird that I ate MORE than usual and within a more condensed time frame than usual. 

Man...today I've been AWFUL with my eating. I'm not sure if it's w30 related or what but I was HUNGRY this morning. 

None of that looked awful to me. Need I remind you that you are growing a human being? That is hard work! ;) Don't stress about it. If you are hungry you should eat and what you are eating looks fine.

Physibeth--Thank you for the support and reminder. I guess it's hard not to compare what I'm eating while pregnant to what I normally eat. I'm getting better though and I certainly always eat when hungry.

I decided to do some speed work instead of a long steady state workout. So I did just over 6 miles with 6, 1 minute sprints in the middle of my run. I'm finishing up now with a few miles on the elliptical. Then my husband and I are headed to costco and trader joes to do some shopping.

I feel like a slave to my kitchen! I made Cincinnati Chili, chicken soup, tuna salad (had the olive mayo from scratch from last week), and I'm not done.  Phew! There are a lot of steps to these recipes, browning hamburger, boiling eggs. chopping carrots, onions, rutabaga, more carrots, cabbage, and did I mention peeling and cutting carrots? 

I'm still not done, I want to roast some veggies, more carrots, rutabaga, and sweet potatoes.  Mmmm, yummy! Did I tell you that I really like carrots? Also, some Czech Meatballs, mashed cauliflower, and my eggs/sausage muffins for breakfast. I'm running out of energy and my back hurts, but I'm guessing I will live through it! LOL Oh, I also want to make berries and whipped coconut cream, with caramelized coconut chips on top.  This might be a later day project, next weekend.

True Story: So, I had my sausage all fried yesterday, to make my muffins for today.  I had to run to the store, you got it, for more carrots!   I came home and my adorable 9 yr. old Beagle had opened the refrigerator and at my sausages!!!!! I'm sure my 10 yr. old chihuahua helped after the door was open. It was my fault because I forgot to lock the refrig.  Yes, we have to lock it or she's in it! Just helps herself.  It could have been worse, she could have eaten the 2 lbs. of hamburger I was thawing in there.  Gotta love those pooches. 

I just took a break to see how my friend here are doing. I see some very strong women! Life, truly, does go on, whether or not we are ready. There is strength in numbers.  Good thing we have this forum to get support and vent.  What's said on the forum, stays on the forum. 

Let's go get day 10! 

Hey peeps. Been gone a couple of days because my dad went to the hospital w/a pretty intense set of symptoms that could have led to heart attack or stroke. I jammed down to Albuq (we're just an hour away in Santa Fe) and have been there since Friday morning. He is stabilized but they don't know what's causing his blood pressure to spike repeatedly. Wow. A lot has happened. But amazingly enough, I have not broken this diet. Even went out for one meal with my mom and the waitress was like "Just tell me which diet, hon. Paleo? Atkins? I'll tell you what to have." And she did. LOL And also what I've found is that even in times of crisis, it's no harder to fix this food than anything else, really. Just haven't been able to prepare ahead of time. This week I'll probably be down there a lot and not at work, so should have flexibility to go get what I need when I need to. Sigh. Okay. I'm pretty exhausted. Have household things to take care of, orders to fill for my Etsy store and then going back in the morning.

I think I can do this. MOTORCYCLE PANTS!!!! (drops to couch for nap before putting in laundry and making shopping and packing list)

Sending good thoughts for your dad esuzabeth!

And I'm impressed you're doing this while expecting runninglawyer! It completely makes sense that you are hungrier than normal. :)

Today was a difficult one in that my schedule was completely off track. I had to leave take my guy to the airport at 3:45 this morning. He'll be gone for the week to go to a conference, so I didn't sleep much last night at all.

On top of that, I woke up with the feeling that meat, eggs, and vegetables were the last things I wanted to eat. Looking at the timeline, it looks like that's a pretty normal feeling at day 10. I didn't go off plan (hooray!), but I also ended up eating 5 small meals instead of 3 full meals. I spent the day prepping more food (made homemade mayo for the first time!) Going to bed now and hope tomorrow will be better!

I dreamed last night that I went to the movies. I slipped and had a diet soda.  In my dream, I thought that since I have to start over tomorrow, I'll have popcorn, too. There were also candy bars lining the theater seats and "penny" candy all over. I remember in the dream that the candy bars and candy didn't make me want to have some.  It was good, but woke up feeling guilty and with the after taste of popcorn and pop!

Esuzabeth positive thoughts to your dad. 

I certainly ate A TON yesterday...it looked something like this...

meal 1:

• 3 eggs
  • huge amount of sautéed kale
  • ~5-6 large strawberries 

meal 2 (maybe 2.5 hours later or so):

• shrimp and vegetable curry
  • couple tbsp of sunflower seeds
  • 1/2 date and a few unsweetened raisins

pre-workout (the real one--getting ready to run 8-10 miles depending on how I feel): 

• handful of black olives

post-workout

• 3 hard boiled eggs
  • 1 carrot
  • 1 grapefruit

meal 3

• 1 small breaded chicken breast (first time having it so I didn't want a full/large portion) 
  • 1 small sweet potato (the ones I buy have ~7 in a bag of 2 pounds) 
  • 1/2 roasted spaghetti squash (smallish one)
  • squash seeds --I roasted the seeds from my spaghetti squash and ate them 
  • 1 small fillet of salmon 
  • 7 large strawberries 
  • homemade "larabar"--much smaller than a typical one. I think the entire "bar" contains 1 date, 1 tbsp raisins, 1 tbsp coconut, and 1 tbsp nuts 

I'm thinking my workout REALLY took it out of me yesterday. I did pilates in the A.M. then ran 6 miles (which included HIIT--6 or 7 fast sprints w/ 1 minutes rest). I finished that up with 25 minutes on the elliptical. I also walked to/from the gym, walked quite a bit while shopping, and did some housework. I'm not sure--but in any case I was HUNGRY so I ate. 

Rach--thanks. i really just want to give my little one the healthiest start imaginable so I figure whole30 then paleo it is. Maybe taco salad, chili, or a curry would be good right now since it feels less meat & veggie-y.

All good ideas! I made a vegetable soup with a bit of sausage. Kale, jicama, carrots, celery, onions, and tomatoes with homemade chicken stock. It's not enough sausage to count as a protein, but for lunch with a side of roast beef, it was flavorful and un-veggie like enough to taste pretty good. :)

I think I'm going to make that curry again tonight. It was just too tasty.

It's on my radar for this week as well. I found Red Boat fish sauce at my natural foods coop (doesn't contain sugar like many other fish sauces). Man that stuff is good!!

Day 10! I'm still exhausted.. Gonna have to poke around the forums and see if I'm eating enough/eating the right proportions of each group. I'm sleeping good, so that's nice. Beyond that, I don't feel any different yet.. Kind of feel worse since I'm so fatigued and foggy. Oh well. Hopefully the Tiger Blood will come for me by the end! Congrats to everyone making it 1/3 of the eay through so far =)

Day 10! I'm still exhausted.. Gonna have to poke around the forums and see if I'm eating enough/eating the right proportions of each group. I'm sleeping good, so that's nice. Beyond that, I don't feel any different yet.. Kind of feel worse since I'm so fatigued and foggy. Oh well. Hopefully the Tiger Blood will come for me by the end! Congrats to everyone making it 1/3 of the eay through so far =)

Have you seen this http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/?

Day 10 is still in the hard part of the program. If you are following the template at all your meals just keep doing that. If not then adjust accordingly. You might need to up your starchy vegetable intake. Posting your meals for the last couple of days could get you some help.

Archived