Excess gas & Farting on Whole30

On 7/27/2012 at 10:20 PM, ucjustin said:

Hi. No one knows me here, so I don't feel weird posting about this. Serious talk here, people.

I've nearly completed the Whole30 with a few minor slip-ups for which I don't feel regret. Starting around Day 20 I've noticed a huge spike in frequency and smell of farts. They happen as frequent as once every 5-30 minutes, depending on how lately I've eaten.

My staple foods:

Eggs (scrambled and boiled), Tuna, Chicken, Ground Turkey

Broccoli, Cauliflower, Tomatoes, Carrots, Romaine Lettuce, Mushrooms, Peppers

Apples, Oranges, Bananas

Canned Olives

Olive Oil

My staple meals:

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs (3-4), tomato, mushrooms, etc.

Mid-morning: 2-3 fruits.

Lunchtime: Salad of Romaine lettuce, tomato, boiled egg, olives, etc.

Mid-afternoon: 2-3 fruits.

Dinner: Some meaty dinner. 1/3-1/2 meat, 1/2-2/3 vegetables.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Are there any foods that stand out that I should cut?

This is getting to be a pretty huge problem. My parents are angry at me, I'm embarrassed at my work cubicle, my car smells rancid, and I'm uncomfortable whenever my girlfriend's around. On the flipside, I feel like a healthy diet should be worth a touch of flatulence, but not this much. I also don't feel that I should counter a healthy diet with pills like Gas-X.

Any feedback would help. Please respond.

I would follow up on the broccoli and cabbage. Foods which generally create gas. Your whole digestive system is on a new track and you have less of the "other" foods in your system which may have acted as buffers.

• 8 months later...

I did whole30 over a year ago. I’m not a “dieter” and in fact I’m appalled with myself that I even tried this out. I think it’s beyond ridiculous that whole30 is marketed to people to make them feel like they’re living with some chronic condition they don’t even realize they have and whole30 will magically unearth a sense of health they’ve never experienced. It’s assanine. But anyway. Whole30 did nothing for me outside of losing a few pounds. The negative effects largely outweighed the “quick weight loss.” Since completing the whole30 my digestion has never been the same. I’ve had chronic rancid smelling gas since completing it and it’s been over a year already. The only thing that remotely helps is a digestive enzyme and even that provides inconsistent relief. How ironic, I had no health problems UNTIL i tried this ridiculous way of eating and now I have to live with taking a supplement with every meal for my body to do what it should be able to do on its own. I eat and have always eaten a mostly plant based diet, very minimal to no dairy, a variety of fruits and vegetables that most typical American households haven’t even heard of, and fiber-rich whole, unrefined grains. I make every meal from scratch and my whole grain sprouted bread is the only thing I eat from a package. I’m not remotely overweight or unhealthy. So I’m just not sure what this “diet” is supposed to do for a human body. 

• Administrators
15 hours ago, Buttons said:

I did whole30 over a year ago. I’m not a “dieter” and in fact I’m appalled with myself that I even tried this out. I think it’s beyond ridiculous that whole30 is marketed to people to make them feel like they’re living with some chronic condition they don’t even realize they have and whole30 will magically unearth a sense of health they’ve never experienced. It’s assanine. But anyway. Whole30 did nothing for me outside of losing a few pounds. The negative effects largely outweighed the “quick weight loss.” Since completing the whole30 my digestion has never been the same. I’ve had chronic rancid smelling gas since completing it and it’s been over a year already. The only thing that remotely helps is a digestive enzyme and even that provides inconsistent relief. How ironic, I had no health problems UNTIL i tried this ridiculous way of eating and now I have to live with taking a supplement with every meal for my body to do what it should be able to do on its own. I eat and have always eaten a mostly plant based diet, very minimal to no dairy, a variety of fruits and vegetables that most typical American households haven’t even heard of, and fiber-rich whole, unrefined grains. I make every meal from scratch and my whole grain sprouted bread is the only thing I eat from a package. I’m not remotely overweight or unhealthy. So I’m just not sure what this “diet” is supposed to do for a human body. 

Hi Buttons, sorry that you are experiencing digestive distress. Whole30 is an elimination protocol for 30 days. There's really nothing about eating veggies, fruits, protein and good fat that should be giving you digestive upset a year later. I would suggest you may like to see a doctor as this is not a common or expected result from eating whole foods.

Archived