February 1st!

freeland28

Hi, everyone!  I just started my W30 today and know I'll need some support.  I'm a pretty healthy eater already due to health reasons, but I let the holidays and family stress pull me WAY OFF COURSE!  I know it's going to be a challenge to kick that carbo high I've gotten used to, but I figure we can do this together.  I'd love to hear how y'all are doing as you go through this .... now I'm off to have my sauteed spinach and roasted red pepper omlet (yum!).

Me too. I'm starting today and would love to have support/be a support. Anyone else over do their carb/sugar intake this week in anticipation of saying goodbye? I feel terrible today. LOL Not the best way to start, I'm sure.

Oh well. Off to take a nap and then read a bit and then go food shopping when I have a little more energy. I'm glad I have the weekend to kind of get myself together. It's no problem for me to do this for the first few days. It's the second week when I know I'll have trouble. All those thoughts will crowd into my head like "Oh, this is just too much trouble right now." and "I don't feel like making lunch for myself. I'll just zip out at lunchtime. Surely I can find something healthy to eat...."

Also, I love coffee deeply. I know you can still have a cup if you want, but I'm afraid to have any at all. Not sure if it would mess with my energy levels and my ability to sense what my body wants and needs. Someone I know recommended Choffy. Anyone else out there try this stuff?

I definitely had that mardi gras feeling yesterday but then I woke up today kind of relieved to be getting back to eating real food.  I forgot to pick up kale yesterday so I just had pecans and an apple for breakfast and will do better after going to the store (today) and doing a bunch of pre-cooking for the week (tomorrow).  I'm really looking forward to dinner tonight and that makes it easier.  There are so many good foods that I missed when I was not paleo for the past couple of years!  I can't wait to eat them regularly again!  We are going to rock this month!  Just wait, by March, you will feel so much better!

I bought the book "It Starts With Food" - it's VERY helpful!  Much of the info is available on the web sight, but I guess I like flipping through the pages and putting notes in the margins.  Both the book and several friends I know who have done this say the first week is the worst.  You can expect something they call "carb flu" as your body adjusts (mostly hormonaly) to the change in your diet.  If you know this ahead of time, you can get through it - and it WILL get better!  Check out what to expect - if you can't find it on the web sight I'd be happy to forward some notes.  As for coffee, the book says you don't have to give it up - but if you feel that the coffee is controlling YOU then you should consider giving it up.  This program is designed to help you take charge of your life - and anything the stands in your way should be, at least temporarily, eliminated.

You're also going to find out that after 30 days, most of the foods you think you'll miss won't seem so appealing.  Most of the cravings are a result of the blood glucose levels surging and dipping after eating the wrong types of food.  When that happens, it also involves your whole body - hormones, internal inflamation, brain function. 

Someone suggested (and I'm trying it) to put up a sign of some type for each week with a tear off number to count down only one week at a time.  So, my first week card says "Week 1:  Expect the carb flu.  You're going to feel terrible, but each day is one day closer to never feeling like this again.  YOU CAN DO THIS!!!"  Then I attached sticky tabs numbered 1 - 7 with 7 on top so I can tear one off each day to show me how many days I have left.  I'm only worrying about this week - I can do 7 days.  I'll worry about next week when it comes (and prepare for it ahead of time).

Archived