Starting today: 2/1/14 - terrified!

mslilly

I've been planning to do something close to this for several weeks now. When I heard of whole30, I initially thought it was too extreme, and I planned to stick with my intention of cutting only gluten, refined sugar, and most dairy. But when I read the getting started, we'll, here I am.

So I'm starting today, and I'm terrified. I'm not afraid of the 30 days, mind you. I can do anything for 30 days. I'm afraid of finding out that I will have to eat this scorched-earth diet for the rest of my life. I'm equally hopeful and afraid it will work on my lifelong depression (I'm 38). I'm terrified of and desperately wanting my stubborn weight to fall off. In short, I want a magic pill, and I fear this one will be too bitter to swallow.

So. Here I am. I'm going to take my measurements now. And post this to my blog.

I'm afraid of finding out that I will have to eat this scorched-earth diet for the rest of my life. 

Oh dear, I'm afraid you have gotten the wrong impression of this way of eating. Whole30 compliant food is the good stuff! It's delicious and it makes me feel great and that is pretty far from the "scorched-earth" diet that you fear. It may take a little while for your taste buds to adjust, but once they do, this food can be amazing. Of course, how you proceed after the 30 days is up to you, but for a lot of people, doing a whole30 is a real awakening. Give it a chance.

I am giving it a chance. That was the point. It's also perfectly valid for me to feel like giving up all the foods I most enjoy (my own homemade bread for example, or taking communion with my church at all) is pretty scorched earth.

Miss Mary is right.  You might just be amazed at how delicious real food actually is.  I have been eating better than ever.  Takes a little time and effort, but it is worth it.  Congratulations on making the decision!  

BTW, I took communion throughout--just not the wine.  If you are going to feel like that is what will cause you to stop the W30, I don't think it's worth the stress.  Moderators may disagree with me, idk.  But spiritually, if you need it, I say take it.

nope, moderators don't disagree: whole30 doesn't ask you to stop your religious practices. If you wish to take communion during your whole30 go right ahead.

Also to the OP: I didn't mean to say your feelings or fears weren't valid, but instead wanted to let you know that you may feel very differently once you have experienced the program. I wanted to offer a little hope.  :)

Mslilly - I am so glad that you doing the Whole30. You never know what will happen until you try it.

I hear you. The thought of never have pizza again is a little daunting. I still can't be around pizza because it is such a comfort food for me. I wish I could go back to the way I used to eat.  I find that my pain is much better when I avoid gluten and dairy so I do it so I don't have to live on pain meds. Unfortunately I did not have the amazing results that so many others have had doing the whole 30. A few positive that I have had is less acid reflux, I found out I love sweet potatoes and I have tried some new recipes that I really enjoy. You might find out that you can live without gluten or maybe you will just eat your own homemade bread as a treat. Once you do the whole30 I think it will be easier for you to decide what food you want in your life and what food you can live without. Good Luck!

Hello, MsLilly. Starting today too, so I'm writing to offer my support. I totally get you. I've known for a long time that I need to change my eating habits but have been too distracted by other things in life to bring my attention to food. However, I'm at my heaviest weight ever. Don't like how I feel, not thrilled with how I look and frankly, I miss my favorite clothes!!! Two years ago I did a very strict HCG regimen twice and dropped down to 180 lbs and looked and felt great. But over time, I gained back the 25 pounds plus a few more. I know it has to do with eating good, healthy food consistently. I'm hoping the whole30 will be a "wake up call", reminding me how much better I felt at a lower weight, how much better I slept when I was eating good food, etc. I don't want to be on the losing and gaining weight back see-saw that so many people experience. But I don't want to give up and just let myself slowly put on weight over time until my body cannot do the things I like to do. So here I go.

A funny thing that's happened already is that the last three days I've had lots of my favorite meals (like pasta carbonara -- pasta, bacon, parmesan cream sauce, peas -- total carb overload!!!) and lots of favorite deserts. Kind of a "saying goodbye" ritual. But you know what? I'm starting my whole30 today and I FEEL LIKE CRAP!!! Hardly slept last night and am in a sort of sugar and carb stupor today. I have to laugh at myself. I suppose it's like getting totally drunk before you swear off alcohol??? Not the best way to go about it! So... even though the thought of eating an hour after waking made me want to throw up, I threw together some steamed broccoli and chicken and ate it. I'm sure the next few days will go much better than this morning!!! LOL

You hang in there and I will too.

Best,

Suzie

Santa Fe, NM

It won't feel like scorched earth once you put together a repertoire of favorite paleo recipes, I promise!  I am starting my first whole30 today too but was paleo for ages until I fell for the whole gluten free but not quite paleo compromise thing. Paleo is actually a lot easier for me because fake gf versions of 'normal' foods make me crave the real thing so much that I end up cheating constantly.  I highly recommend spending some time reading nomnompaleo.com.  her recipes are so good they make it almost easy.

Good luck!

Archived