Continuing on with a modification or two

Vian

Whole30 #2 complete and successful. I lost 6.5 pounds or so and I think my pants fit a tiny bit looser, but I don't see much of a change in the before and after photos, but that's ok. I didn't actually expect a crazy amount of weight or inches to come off as I've been mostly paleo for the last year, so I'm good with 6.5 pounds. 

I did meet my primary goal of getting my appetite under control though, so yay! My plan is to stick to most of the whole30 rules, but relax a few of them a bit.

1: Dairy is back on! From my last whole30, I already know that I tolerate dairy, and I had some with dinner lastnight and I'm fine today. I love, love, love cheese and heavy cream, so I am going to allow full-fat quality cheese and local grass-fed organic heavy cream, and kerrygold butter.

2: Small amounts of sugar in otherwise savory things. The only reason I'm allowing back in minimal amounts of sugar is because I want to be able to use curry paste and bacon again and I can't find it without sugar. However, no desserts, no treats, no paleoized junk.

3: Green Peas. I don't eat them often, but there are a couple dishes that just aren't the same without green peas, so I'm going to allow them in those dishes.

4: Wine allowed for cooking. I don't drink alcohol anyway, I only use wine for cooking, and not even that often.

My main challenges are resisting sugar, and not caving to peer pressure to have gluten-free crap like quesadillas and stuff. I really want to continue to not have any added sugar other than tiny amounts in otherwise savory things - that's really important to me....the sugar has to be in otherwise savory things like bacon and curry paste. No grains, not even gluten free ones.

Day 31:

M1: leftover bbq beef and cole slaw from WF2 on top of sweet potato hashbrowns

M2: leftover zoodles with chicken thighs and walnut pesto

M3: quiche made with organic grass-fed local heavy cream, spinach, bacon, shallots, and feta cheese

Thanks! I hope I can stick to it.

Day 32:

No signs of any issues from the dairy today or yesterday. Tummy is fine, not congested, no excess mucous production that I'm aware of. Did all my shopping today which was an adventure! The stores were packed. At costco I sampled a piece of smoked salmon (cured with salt, sugar, "natural falvors") and a piece of pear and that was all. I managed to resist the chocolate covered dried strawberries.

M1: 3 eggs, 2 slices bacon, sweet potato hashbrowns, bp coffee with heavy cream and coconut milk

M2: leftover quiche

M3: steak on a salad with home-made blue cheese dressing, hard boiled egg, bacon. Kombucha.

Another thing I think I should stick to: the no scale rule. Or at least only weigh myself once a month or so to be able to see long-term results, rather than day to day fluctuations. I thought I wasn't a slave to the scale, but I found myself stepping on this morning and being dissapointed that I weighed the same today as I did yesterday...So I think the scale will go in the closet for at least a month. Same with taking measurements: once a month.

M1: 2 eggs, 4 oz. sausage, bp coffee, a clementine. No veg this morning - bad me!

M2: Salad with steak, hb egg, bacon and blue cheese dressing. Kombucha

M3: Nom Nom Paleo's slow cooker chicken with gravy and brussels sprouts, more kombucha

M1: leftover slow cooker chicken and gravy with brussels sprouts and BP coffee

M2: same as breakfast, only minus the coffee - this stuff is seriously delicious!

M3: The walnut prawns from Nom Nom Paleo: Food For Humans with broccoli and kombucha. The prawns were tasty. I think the breading was unnecessary and they'd be just as good/better without it, but they are very tasty.

M1: 4 oz. sausage, 1 fried egg, sauteed napa cabbage, BP coffee with heavy cream and coconut oil

M2: leftover walnut prawns and broccoli

M3: A huge bowl of home made pho with beef, zoodles, carrots, green onions, thai basil, bean sprouts, fish sauce, and sriracha. Kombucha

Really stressful day today. Just very, very busy at work and I felt behind all day. Thought about going to chipotle for dinner, but I have food I need to use up before the end of the week.

M1: Leftover shredded beef, napa cabbage, bean sprouts, green onions and 2 eggs scrambled up in some ghee, bp coffee

M2: More pho

M3: Salmon with guac and coleslaw. Kombucha. handful of roasted nuts.

What blue cheese dressing recipe did you use? Something I really love and haven't been able to make one that I like yet.

I decided to do the once a month scale/measurement thing too...and then one month I forgot to do it...and I haven't since. My pants and bras generally tell me all I need to know. ;)

The recipe I use was one I found online somewhere, but I forgot where, but here is the recipe

o    4 oz. blue cheese

o    1/3 c. sour cream

o    1/3 c. buttermilk

o    ¼ c. mayo

o    1 tbs. white wine vinegar

o    ¼ tsp. worchestershire sauce

o    Ground pepper

I blend all that up in the blender, then add some extra blue cheese crumbles to make it chunky. It's also good with some minced chives blended up in it.

I was actually hungry when I woke up this morning, and was hungry about 2 hours before dinner. 

M1: 2 sausage patties, 1 egg, napa cabbage sauteed in ghee, bp coffee, a few blackberries

M2: salmon with guac and cole slaw, half an orange

M3: 4 of Nom Nom Paleo's Orange Sriracha Chicken Legs, green beans, handful of roasted nuts, kombucha

M1: 2 chicken drumsticks, 1 fried egg, sweet potato hashbrowns, bp coffee

M2: Leftover orange sriracha chicken drumsticks, Chinese Honey orange, green beans

M3: Thai red curry with ground beef, carrots, onions, bok choy, sugar snap peas, thai basil, curry paste, and coconut milk. Kombucha, handful of blackberries with some coconut milk on top.

I think I sort of had an epiphany the other day. I've been overweight as long as I can remember. I remember seeing pictures of myself when I was 4 or 5 years old where I wasn't chubby, but since grade school, probably 3rd or 4th grade, I have been. I always had some vague notion of losing the extra weight, but I never really took it seriously. I wasn't made fun of for my weight (I was made fun of/teased at school for other reasons, but not for being fat). It was never a big enough hindrance for me to really buckle down on it. After getting married, then divorced and my weight soaring to an all-time high of 270lbs, it finally became a big enough hindrance for me to take it seriously. I lost about 60 lbs. and was back down to around my highschool weight...and have been stuck there since. It's like I got back down to where I'd been for most of my life and then stopped...like that was good enough. Even when I was actively losing weight, I would always say "I don't want to be stick-thin, I like my boobs and hips. I don't care if I don't ever have a six-pack, I just don't want my gut to stick out past my boobs," etc. And all that is true, but do I really want to stop at "good enough"? It's like my goals include leaving myself with that safety net of familiarity. I've never been thin/fit. My whole identity involves being a little overweight, being "big" and I don't know how to form a new identity around being a healthy weight, having muscle definition. I'm afraid of it in a way. I'm afraid of it drawing attention from other people. I've never considered myself attractive or pretty and I'm afraid of it, even as I strive for it.

M1: 2 chicken legs, sweet potato hashbrowns, BP coffee

M2: leftover curry, some apple chips

M3: Salad with carnitas, guac, sour cream, and shredded cheese, kombucha

It's like I got back down to where I'd been for most of my life and then stopped...like that was good enough. Even when I was actively losing weight, I would always say "I don't want to be stick-thin, I like my boobs and hips. I don't care if I don't ever have a six-pack, I just don't want my gut to stick out past my boobs," etc. And all that is true, but do I really want to stop at "good enough"? It's like my goals include leaving myself with that safety net of familiarity. I've never been thin/fit. My whole identity involves being a little overweight, being "big" and I don't know how to form a new identity around being a healthy weight, having muscle definition. I'm afraid of it in a way. I'm afraid of it drawing attention from other people. I've never considered myself attractive or pretty and I'm afraid of it, even as I strive for it.

This. This is totally me. I am now at my lowest weight (I think!) apart from once when I was being very strict (and very hungry) and I lost another 7lbs or so and then panicked -- it felt really weird being thinner. I am now at my post-college weight (my baseline adult weight) which is what I have been most of my life apart from when I was properly overweight (a few stretches of that but never for too long) ... I hover at BMI 25 - 26. I feel quite mixed up about being thinner which is dumb really, but I can't help it. I'm trying to focus on the health goals of eating this way because that scares me less. It makes total sense not to eat food that messes with your blood sugar levels / bowel / hormones ... and that is what I keep reminding myself of. Have you ever read Susie Orbach's Fat is a Feminist Issue? I haven't for a long time, but there is stuff in there about how being fat protects us from lots of things and relate to how we see ourselves fitting into our world. An interesting read, anyway, if you are into that kind of thing.

I've not read that book, but I'll look into it. It sounds interesting. I know that many women who have been sexually abused gain a lot of weight. I think it's partly from the stress of it, but it becomes that insulation and protection. They make themselves undesirable so that men won't pay attention to them.

M1: Sausage and sweet potato hash, BP coffee

M2: leftover carnitas salad

M3: BBQ beef, cole slaw, and Sweet potato "waffles" ala Well Fed 2. The waffles were not good enough to warrant the time it took to make them. I'll just stick with regular hash browned sweet potatoes in the future. Also had kombucha.

Went to a friend's house lastnight to watch a movie straight after work, picked up chipotle for dinner.

M1: Leftover BBQ beef, sweet potato waffles, cole slaw

M2: Same as breakfast

M3: Chipotle carnitas salad with fajita veggies, tomatillo green chili salsa, sour cream, cheese, guac, kombucha when I got home

Oh, also, I forgot to mention that I bought some chocolate the other day. I really wanted some chocolate, so I bought some really good soy and dairy-free dark chocolate that comes in a very small 1.25 ounce bar and I ate 2 squares of it one day, and 1 square the next, and it's been in my cabinet since. It's delicious, but I want to break that habit of eating the whole bar all at once.

Today:

M1: last of the BBQ beef, sweet potato waffles, and cole slaw

M2: Leftover Carnitas salad (home made, not from Chipotle, I had some left over from saturday night, it's got all the same things in it as the one that is from Chipotle though)

M3: Zoodles with italian sausage, peppers, onions, and marinara sauce. Kombucha.

Tonight was the monthly Orchid Society meeting, so I ate dinner as soon as I got home from work, then went out to that until 9pm tonight. Talked about the show coming up at the end of next month.

M1: Sweet potato hash browns, leftover shredded pork, 2 eggs, BP coffee

M2: leftover zoodles, sausage, peppers and onions with marinara sauce

M3: Pork Sui Mai meatballs with spicy garlic green beans and carrots. Kombucha. Also had some fruit at the OS meeting (cantaloupe, honeydew, blackberry, blueberry, strawberry, pineapple) and a couple small squares of chocolate when I got home from the bar I bought on saturday.

Thursday the 13th

M1: Sausage and sweet potato hashbrowns with a fried egg on top, bp coffee

M2: leftovers

M3: chicken satay with Sunshine sauce for dipping (added a little honey to it because I thought it needed some more sweetness) and roasted asparagus

Friday the 14th

M1: Sausage with zoodles and one egg, bp coffee

M2: leftovers

M3: thai food: Thai basil, Mussamun curry, pad thai, and fried rice (friend came over and we went nuts with the takeout) plus some paleo chocolate mousse with strawberries and whipped cream.

Archived