Spreading my wings

Julie Sassaman

Today is my Day 32! This was my 4th attempt at a W30, and my first success! I can't even begin to tell you how proud of myself I am.

I decided to introduce dairy yesterday. I had some bacon (FINALLY!) and some plain yogurt with berries and just a teeny bit of honey. It was yummy. For lunch my hubby took me to Chipotle and I had a salad with steak that I got grilled onions and peppers on. I added a little bit of cheese and sour cream, mixed it up and thoroughly enjoyed it. Tonight I am having grilled chicken with salad and roasted potatoes.

I haven't felt bad yet. But I know it can take a bit to show. Today I am back into compliance for the re-intro. This morning I had sausage patties, leftover roasted potatoes fried in coconut oil, and a couple of fried eggs on top. Good stuff. For lunch I will probably have chicken salad over a bed of spinach, and for dinner, I am just not sure yet.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry I was MIA for a bit. I went on a small road trip with my hubby in his big rig. I introduced some gluten today in the form of pancakes and wow. It. Knocked. Me. On. My. Butt. Gluten is not my friend I didn't have any bad pains or anything, but I ended up having to take a nap around 9am after getting up at 6am. I could not stay awake. And even when I get only 3 or 4 hours of sleep, once I am up, I am pretty much usually up. Not after pancakes. I kind of figured I would not have a great relationship with gluten. The cool thing to come out of it though was that while talking to my husband about it, it's kind of like a light bulb went on in him, like it dawned on him that he felt more like crap too when he ate things like that. It's a great baby step for him. Especially since he's already shown interest in following my new lifestyle.

So tonight is taco night.....yay!! Taco salad for me! Aside from the gluten fiasco, I still feel pretty good though! And I am HAPPY to see you've found me Kryztle!

My husband finally went back out on the road, which will help me log better! My problem now is a MAJOR tooth problem. My cheek was so swollen this morning (I woke up at 330am in excruciating pain), that when I opened my eye, it really was very painful. I have tried a couple of natural things that seem to be helping, but I am also taking ibuprofen and Tylenol for now to help with the pain. I have not been eating much in the last couple of days because of the pain, but I will try better tomorrow. I have had some yogurt and cheese again, with no issues, but that gluten reintro really was crappy. I can't help but think that it helped my tooth go from bad to worse, as it started soon after that. I also noticed today that my legs are a bit puffy again. Boo. <_<

So, I have learned that I am pretty ok with dairy, although in the form of milk, it makes me feel bloated, and gluten is pure evil. I did eat some leftover taco meat today in a corn tortilla and I am feeling ok. However, I really haven't eaten much either. I hope this tooth issue resolves quickly and without the need for antibiotics. Take care everyone!!

Thanks for checking on me Kryztle.......it makes me all warm and fuzzy!! :D

After reading the end of your Whole30 log, I was curious to see how you'd do with dairy--no problem sounds like. I had this curious reaction to it after my first W30--it didn't upset my stomach or anything, but a number of dairy products felt like they coated my tongue when I ate them. It made dairy more unpleasant that pre-whole30, in spite of the fact that I really like dairy and am not lactose intolerant (sensitive to very high fat dairy, but I think that may be the super high fat, not the dairy). So you had nothing like the tongue-coating feeling, I take it? 

Not that I recall Alliea. If I drink milk, I feel pretty bloated, and ice cream makes me somewhat gassy, but so far, that's all I've noticed. I will pay more attention next time I have dairy to how my mouth feels. I'd like to try wine again at some point, but I really want to clear this gluten out of my system first!!

Yeah get that gluten out girl! I'm nervous about reintroducing dairy and gluten. My doctor told me years ago that I am lactose intolerant so I don't eat a lot of dairy anyways, but I do still eat my cheese and cottage cheese from time to time, oh and I love ice cream, that is definitely a no brakes food for me!!

This morning I just had scrambled eggs cooked in coconut oil with a little bit of cheese on top. I am also having a banana. I'm having a hard time chewing thouroughly at the moment, so this was the best I could do and the most tolerable. I also had my coffee and coconut milk.

My tooth feels a little better today, but I am still taking ibuprofen and tylenol. I put some raw garlic on the tooth and surrounding gum, which really helped a lot, but the skin on the inside of my cheek got somewhat burned up by the garlic in the process, so I am letting that heal before I try it again.

On a more positive note, I finally found a nurse practitioner in the area I live in that agrees with a Paleo/Primal lifestyle. I am not sure if she will be covered under my insurance, and I won't know until it kicks in, but I sure hope she is. I really liked her bio and that she mentions thyroid importance directly. She is an advocate of patients being a responsible party in their healthcare which I like too.

Have a good day my friends! :)

Finding a health care person you like, trust, and respect is huge!  I hope this one you found works out - makes it so much nicer to navigate health issues with someone who is working with you.

Hope your tooth continues to get better.

I am  having kind of a blah Saturday. It is very rainy here in Florida, and has been for a couple of days now. That is one of the reasons I moved from the Pacific NW. Grey, soggy weather just kills my mood. This winter has been difficult in a lot of ways for a lot of people! At least I know it is the weather that is bringing me down.

My tooth seems like it's definitely on the mend. The garlic really burned the inside of my cheek and my gum line. Skin was falling off even (just a little bit). But I really believe it was what helped, in combination of some other things I was doing. At least now I know to not leave it on for so long and to only do it once a day! Anyway, Mother Nature rocks!

I have gone on an all-natural binge lately. I was spending all this time cleansing my body on the inside and one day in the shower I went to wash my hair and I saw the ingredient list and was shocked at how long it was. I'm sure not everything on the list is bad, but I pretty much couldn't pronounce any of it. I searched online to see if I could find some more natural products and YIKES. They are really expensive. So, as of a few weeks ago, I "wash" my hair with ACV a couple times a week (1 part water, 1 part ACV). My hair is better than it has ever been. It already falls out because of my hypothyroid, but it does it A LOT less since I've been using the ACV. It's shinier and fuller as well. Within the last week as well, I have made my own toothpaste and rinse with 1 part water and 1 part hydrogen peroxide. The rinse has been the hardest thing to adjust to. I've also started oil-pulling after much research about oral care. I'm always skeptical, but I eat coconut oil everyday anyway, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Seems to be making a difference slowly.

This morning I had eggs, taco meat, and potatoes. Yum! I hope my beloved sun returns to Florida soon! I hope you are having a fantastic Saturday too Kryztle!! :)

I am  having kind of a blah Saturday. It is very rainy here in Florida, and has been for a couple of days now. That is one of the reasons I moved from the Pacific NW. Grey, soggy weather just kills my mood. This winter has been difficult in a lot of ways for a lot of people! At least I know it is the weather that is bringing me down.

I don't know if this will make you feel better or worse, but it has been super sunny here in the Pacific NW for a week now but bitterly cold. I think I'd gladly take the rain back if the temperature would rice abut 20 degrees. ;)

I have seen the beautiful weather you all have been enjoying through my friends and family, although most of them are in the grips of a snow storm now. I would have never left the Pac NW if the sun made more of an appearance throughout the year. It really is so pretty there. But being a California girl at heart, I need my sun! The cold actually does not bother me, and honestly I don't even mind rain so much. It's the GREY that kicks my butt and bums me out! I really hope the weather across the whole country improves, even just a little!!

On an AWESOME note, I just found out that I won an autographed copy of John Durant's The Paleo Manifesto from a PaleoCon contest!! Yoo Hoo! :D

You're washing your hair with ACV!  Wow.  I hate the ingredient list on the shampoos and did just order something cleaner, but I hate spending the money on those things because so often I don't like them or like the smell and then it's just wasted money.  It's never ever occurred to me to try ACV and I don't know why I shouldn't.  We own ACV and if I don't like it, I can just shower again.  I'm gonna try it!

Oil pulling we tried for two days which doesn't really count as a try, but that's as far as  we got with that one.  

Some people have reported that their hair had to get used to not being washed with shampoo, so there was an adjustment period of like a month before they reaped the benefits. My hair is very naturally curly and was pretty dry when I started using ACV, so I never went through an overly oily phase like some people did. My hair really feels so much better. I also rinse my hair right at the end of my shower with cold water and that seems to help with excess frizz. I haven't had anything on my hair for almost a month now. I'm pretty happy with it!

The texture at first is a bit much with the oil-pulling, but it thins out quickly enough for me to tolerate and I really feel like it is helping, so I will keep with it for now and see how it goes. I used sesame oil this morning and I didn't think about it being toasted, so the flavor was a bit overwhelming, so I will stick with coconut until I can get some good quality regular sesame oil.

Let me know how you like the ACV haircare Emma!!

I have seen the beautiful weather you all have been enjoying through my friends and family, although most of them are in the grips of a snow storm now. I would have never left the Pac NW if the sun made more of an appearance throughout the year. It really is so pretty there. But being a California girl at heart, I need my sun! The cold actually does not bother me, and honestly I don't even mind rain so much. It's the GREY that kicks my butt and bums me out! I really hope the weather across the whole country improves, even just a little!!

On an AWESOME note, I just found out that I won an autographed copy of John Durant's The Paleo Manifesto from a PaleoCon contest!! Yoo Hoo! :D

We got hit with the snow last night! 2-3 inches which isn't terrible. Trying to decide if I want to go to my 10am appointment in the city or not. 

Good morning! Yes Kryztle, I do keep a bottle in my shower but it's one part ACV and one part water. I only use it 2-3 times a week, the rest I just 'scrub' my wet hair and scalp and run it under pretty warm water to rinse. My hair is doing great!

Physibeth, my beloved sun returned today! A high of 73, which is actually cool in FL, but it's SUNNY!! ;) I vote for staying home and enjoying the snow without putting yourself at risk with people that may or may not be good snow drivers! If you do go, stay safe!

Breakfast was chicken and potatoes. And coffee, just black today. Have a good day everyone!!!

Enjoy the book. I am on chapter four, and it is a page turner. The book gets you thinking about things as soon as page one. If you haven't already, watch Durant's interview on Colbert.He has it posted at huntergatherer.com. It was hilarious. 

Our nice weather is back again, so I hope that sunlight gets your energy up. It has worked for me. 

You mentioned that you are now reading other labels now as well. I just started doing this again, starting with cleaning products. I cleaned with bleach the other day, and had it in my sinuses for two days. I have looked online for a few antiseptic cleaning supplies and am going back to making my own. With personal items, I'm not there yet. My wife coupons as a hobby, so we get our personal care items for next to free. Perhaps we can go more natural in that area when we free up some money currently going to debt.

Good morning! Yes Kryztle, I do keep a bottle in my shower but it's one part ACV and one part water. I only use it 2-3 times a week, the rest I just 'scrub' my wet hair and scalp and run it under pretty warm water to rinse. My hair is doing great!

Physibeth, my beloved sun returned today! A high of 73, which is actually cool in FL, but it's SUNNY!! ;) I vote for staying home and enjoying the snow without putting yourself at risk with people that may or may not be good snow drivers! If you do go, stay safe!

Breakfast was chicken and potatoes. And coffee, just black today. Have a good day everyone!!!

Husband and I stayed home all day yesterday. Wasn't worth it. Rain is back today and washing away all that white stuff and hopefully returning the moisture to my skin. ;) All is right with the universe again it seems. ;) 

Enjoy the book. I am on chapter four, and it is a page turner. The book gets you thinking about things as soon as page one. If you haven't already, watch Durant's interview on Colbert.He has it posted at huntergatherer.com. It was hilarious. 

Our nice weather is back again, so I hope that sunlight gets your energy up. It has worked for me. 

You mentioned that you are now reading other labels now as well. I just started doing this again, starting with cleaning products. I cleaned with bleach the other day, and had it in my sinuses for two days. I have looked online for a few antiseptic cleaning supplies and am going back to making my own. With personal items, I'm not there yet. My wife coupons as a hobby, so we get our personal care items for next to free. Perhaps we can go more natural in that area when we free up some money currently going to debt.

I use this for pretty much all my cleaning needs http://www.branchbasics.com/ and it works great! Even my friend who manages housekeeping at a fancy hotel was impressed with it when she helped me clean the house we moved out of this summer. It really is very cost effective as you mix the concentrate with water.

Archived