Spreading my wings

Julie Sassaman

ArcheoGator, I went over and watched that interview with Colbert and it was indeed quite funny. I like how his requirements in his ideal woman are lactose intolerance and celiac disease!! That part made me laugh. I still haven't gotten word for claiming my prize yet, just the notification that I won, but I just can't wait to read it. I really enjoyed PaleoCon with him as the host.

I have noticed now that I am a little older, bleach definitely makes me ill. It makes my lungs hurt and like you said, it just hangs around for a couple days. Straight bleach isn't quite as bad as the bleach cleaners, but it all still has ill-effects for me. I have been using Simple Green, but even that has some stuff I'm not so sure about that I will be researching. Although for now, it is way better than the bleach cleaners I was using.

I am feeling better slowly than I have for the last week or so. Although, I kind of went off the rails last night and had some pizza. It wasn't worth it, I was just REALLY tired and it was there. Bad girl, I know. Tonight I think I will be having steak and broccoli, and focusing on getting back on track. And for the record, the pizza made me feel like crap and it was no where near as good as I would have thought it was a month and a half ago. I suppose little reminders like that are actually a good thing in the long run, as long as you continue learning from them!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am feeling better slowly than I have for the last week or so. Although, I kind of went off the rails last night and had some pizza. It wasn't worth it, I was just REALLY tired and it was there. Bad girl, I know. 

No! You are not a bad girl because you had pizza. The food you put in your mouth has no impact on you as a person. It is just a choice you made. It wasn't a choice that made you healthier but it doesn't make you a bad girl for choosing it.

Trust me when I say that fixing the mentality that is so deeply a part of our culture that food choices make us good or bad goes a long way in being able to make rational choices about our food. For me food was always my rebellion and now that I constantly remind myself that making a less healthy choice doesn't make me bad it gives me so much freedom.

Thanks Bethany! I really needed to hear that, and definitely apply it. Food is a comfort for me. I am a highly emotional eater. I'm getting there, and I'm learning a lot because I have made the right choices and I am making myself aware, but also because of awesome people like you! I haven't seen any moderator here tear anybody down. Just tough love sometimes and always A LOT of encouragement and gentle guidance. Thanks again!! :)

I like doing this daily reflecting because when I reflect on my mess ups, my mess ups aren't really all that bad.  You had pizza one night out of the last month and a half?  That's not so bad.  And it probably wasn't as much pizza as you could have had.  I know that I ideally wish I ate well all the time, but I'm realizing that this is more of a long term process, but over the long term, my healthy eating far out does my non-healthy forays.  The entire afternoon snacking thing is really my weak spot.

I keep forgetting to use the ACV.  It's kind of funny because our bathroom and our kitchen are connected so there's no good excuse. When I stand up, I think I'll go make a 1:1 solution in a mug and put that in the shower for tomorrow morning.

Hope you're enjoying that sunny warm weather.

I am enjoying the sunny warm weather for sure, but as I rambled over on your log, the weather across the country is effecting our family in other ways!

I am testing an IF today. For dinner last night I had a cube steak that I pan-fried in ghee and as I was cooking it, I decided that the ghee smelled so good that I cooked some cauliflower in it as well, put just a little bit of cheddar cheese on it, and thoroughly enjoyed that meal! Which was way better than the pizza, I might add!

So I will not eat anything again until tonight. And I'm not sure what that will be, but it will be healthy! :) I did put some coconut milk, coconut oil, cocoa powder, and cinnamon in my coffee this morning, blended it with my immersion blender and really enjoyed it's creamy, warm morning hug!

Have a good day everyone!

This morning I had my reliable coffee with coconut milk and some red potatoes with cube steak. It was pretty darn good.

Last night my oldest son was literally almost crying telling me how he was just so hungry at like 9pm. Although I did let him have a snack, we talked about how eating the right foods can help him not be so hungry all the time. This morning he got up and asked if he could have eggs. I said that is a great food choice son!! He got all excited then asked if he could have three. I told him to go ahead, but to listen to his body, if he feels full he needs to see how much he ate so he doesn't end up over-eating or wasting food. He INHALED the eggs. I'm thinking he is definitely having a growth spurt! :)

Baseball for my 3rd oldest was last night, and although it was FREEZING, it was really beautiful outside. It was good to get out of the house! Today the sunshine is pouring in all my windows, and I am loving it. Have a great day everyone!

I'm doing ok, just having a rough patch! My husband is back home, and I just don't do as good with eating or logging as I should. I had tacos for dinner tonight, with corn tortillas and sour cream included and so far I feel ok. I had a sub for lunch from Firehouse Subs today and it was so good, but I couldn't stay awake to save my life after eating it. So it's pretty obvious gluten really is not my friend. :( I also enjoyed some blueberry wine with dinner from a local winery here in Florida, and I realized that wine is a no brakes item for me as I finished off the bottle 2 hours after opening it!! LOL It really was sooooooooooooo good. Thanks for checking in on me Kryztle, I needed it and really do appreciate it! I have been such a grouchy pants the last few days, and just depressed. Then I remembered that I should be starting my cycle soon, so that explains A LOT!!!

I hope everyone is doing great!

Okay, so I went a little off the rails! But I recovered quickly. I made a couple of really poor food choices and just at that moment where you have almost convinced yourself that you messed up so bad that you might as well not even try anymore, a light bulb went off. I thought of so many things. What I have accomplished, what I want to accomplish, my kids, my health, etc. And I realized it was ALL a choice. Everyday is a choice. And I realized that even though I messed up, I didn't really mess up. I made a choice. And after almost talking myself into feeling like a failure I realized I still had a choice. I could make more bad food choices everyday again, or I could keep making good food choices like I have been recently. And then I got that feeling. That feeling of relief that washes over you when you realize that your the one that's been in control all along. So today, I feel empowered. And I love that feeling. I'm not where I want to be (far from it), and I will make some bad food choices I'm sure, but the food isn't in control anymore, I am.

I've kept feeling like I just wasn't ready to add an exercise program yet as that would be too much at once for me to handle, but I've also realized that although that might have been true in the very beginning of my W30, I have clung to it like a crutch, too afraid to move out of my comfort zone. This morning I received two emails from Groupon, one stating they were giving me a $10 credit to use on $25 or more and the other one was the daily local deal for my area.....a groupon to a local crossfit club. After just a little research to make sure it was a place I wanted to go to, I did it. 10 crossfit classes for $35. I have a call in to set up a first timer appointment. I'm scared and excited all at once!

This morning I had bacon and eggs for breakfast with coffee and coconut milk. And I am just starting to get hungry again for lunch, but I didn't really plan anything, so I will probably have chicken salad over a bed of spinach. Tonight is chicken soup with lots of vegetables!

Rock your day my friends! :)

Ten crossfit classes!  That's pretty dang awesome.  Your lightbulb moment was a pretty powerful one and a brilliant one.  I'm constantly reminding myself how my screwups are not near as bad as they used to be and how everything good I do counts.  It's amazing how powerful our "failure thinking" can be and how easily it can pull us down.  Your comment about your son is pretty fun too.  Our kids sure do absorb a lot of our food behaviors and it's nice when they start learning about the good stuff.  Rock on to you!

I know...10! This place had a lot of good reviews and on their website they really emphasize how important the coaching is, which is what I will need right now for sure! I was an athlete in high school, but that was 20 5 years ago.... ;) I have had mostly sedentary jobs since then and was on bed rest with all four of my boys. My body is not anywhere near in shape! I'm just worried about looking bad, which is dumb, I know. But if I can conquer food, I can conquer fitness. Besides, I must admit, my lightbulb moment has given me a much-needed boost in self-esteem, so I will be rocking this!

Now that I feel I am getting a handle on food, I will be making it more mainstream in our home as well. My kids have been eating lunch at school, but in the next few weeks, that will be changing. Some of the stuff they feed these kids, that they claim are healthy, are downright awful! My son came home one day and said, "I got to have 3 bowls of cereal at school today." I cringed! Anyway, baby steps will get us all there. We got them a trampoline for Christmas, and aside from being terrified that they will get hurt, they love it and are becoming more active. Parenting win! :D

My lunch did end up being chicken salad over a bed of spinach. I tossed it with some balsamic and olive oil.....nom nom nom!

Since I am not good with goals, I have made just one, a small one. I am going to make it a priority to get my daily dose of water in. Some days I am good at this, but lately, not so much. So I will drink enough water for my body. So far today, I've had four glasses. I read somewhere I need about 9-10 glasses per day. (8oz. glasses) I better get to drinking!

I'm sorry you are feeling down Kryztle, I know how hard that makes a day. I think I will love Crossfit too, I just need coaches that will push me, but support me and encourage me at the same time. Hopefully I have found it on my first try! ;) I would be tired of the snow if I were you too! I love my warmth and sunshine! It wasn't but a day or so ago I was feeling pretty down too. I guess everyday can't be SPECTACULAR, otherwise we wouldn't appreciate them as much! It will get better, and remember. I'm always right here for you!

Tonight for dinner was chicken veggie soup. I used some of the bone broth I made a couple of weeks ago, and man, was it good! I put so many veggies in it, my kids didn't even notice there wasn't any noodles in it! Although while I was making it my youngest came up and asked me if I was going to put the 'pillows' in it. HA! It took me a second to realize he meant dumplings! Since I have no compliant ingredients for that, it was a definite no-go. By the time dinner rolled around, he had forgotten all about it!

So I tried to get ahold of the crossfit box that I bought the groupon for and could not. I called, I drove down there, zip. So I canceled it and called another one that seemed pretty good that was offering a free first visit. I had my rear-end HANDED to me this morning. It was AWESOME!!! :) I signed up for a couple of foundation classes, and then after that I will be an unlimited member. I'm excited. The coach I had was so awesome. Never seen him or talked to him before and he knew my name, encouraged me every step of the way, and really guided me through everything. The people there working out introduced theirselves to me and warmly welcomed me. I really think this is exactly what I needed right now at this moment of my life.

I'm going to have to work a little harder on my diet to make sure I'm eating enough. I can't wait for Monday!!! :)

The last couple of days have been spent in agony! Ok, I'm being a bit dramatic, but I am really, REALLY sore! I have to get a better handle on my nutrition in a big way because I think I could have recovered better had I eaten better.

I've been having bacon and eggs for breakfast, with coffee and coconut oil and cream, and a bit of cocoa. Sometimes I add a little potato in there too.

I go back for my foundations classes tomorrow, and even though I am excited to go, I sore enough right now that I just don't see how I'm going to make it through! Wish me luck!

Archived