Spreading my wings

Julie Sassaman

Maybe I should save potatoes for my PWO meal then!

Yeah, Kryztle, it makes me feel not so great and it's a hard food for me to stop eating, but I still love pizza. I don't think I ever won't! I'm going to try and go without it for awhile and then start trying some of these recipes I keep seeing with paleo friendly 'crust'. That way it will likely taste good enough for me to keep with that version than the doughy one!

Thanks for the tips and encouragement, it helps more than you know!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So today was foundations. I didn't think I'd make it through, but I did. Barely! My poor legs are just jelly at this point. But I am learning a lot of good things, and because of this, I realized I have trust issues with exercise! Hahahaha. Squats are not my friend. I do not trust my legs to keep me from falling backwards, so I am leaning forward trying to do it. When they put something behind me, I do better. This is something that I really need to fix as a lot of lifting is done with your legs!

Before workout, I had a coffee with a substantial heap of coconut oil in it along with coconut milk. I also had some scrambled eggs. I ran out of bananas, so I cut up an orange, froze it, and brought that along with me to eat right after working out. When I got home I had some bacon.

I am feeling really good about things, even though I am more sore than I have ever been from exercising. It will get better. I watch people do handstand pushups and for a second I still find myself thinking, there's no way I will ever be able to do that. Then I tell that voice to shut up and tell myself I will be doing that, sooner than I think! :)

I had a hard time falling asleep last night, but I feel like I slept soundly, although not long enough. So I woke up late and I couldn't quite get going. So I had coffee with extra coconut milk in it, and as gross as this sounds to some, a big spoonful of coconut oil. After my workout I ate a banana, and I am getting ready to have some bacon and some sort of veggie.

I finally get my first real 'rest' day tomorrow, and even though part of me wants to go, I am looking for to a little muscle repair! They are not as sore as they have been, but still sore enough to make me walk funny after sitting for awhile! :) It's kind of funny though, it seemed like today was the easiest day I've had, but I was dripping with sweat more than any other day! And the time flew by! When he said we were done, I thought he meant with the movement he was teaching me, it seemed like I had only been there for 20-30 minutes. Nope. One whole hour had passed!

Have a great day everyone.....feel GREAT.

Dinner tonight was chicken stir fry with a TON of veggies. It was really nummy. I'm still pretty sore, but no where near as bad as I had been. I decided I wanted a treat tonight, so I made some strawberry-banana chocolate ice cream. Strawberries, bananas, and a little cocoa powder. It was sooooooo good and just what I needed.

"trust issues" with your body.  THAT's what I liked about when I was working out and running and exercising a lot.  When I went to the playground with my kids, I knew that I could climb up things or try without looking like an idiot.  Now, I'm back to worrying I'll look like an idiot if I try to hang from a bar or something and realize I can't.  I'm SO unbelievably envious of your crossfit classes.  If I lived down there, I'd say, "Let's be friends and go together!!!"  We have nothing like that where I live.  As I read your posts, I also thought about how crossfit sounds fun because it's physically a challenge, but it's also a mental cognitive learning process and that's often really fun.  Wow - jealous I am - way to go on going and making it happen.

The stir fry was definitely delish! This morning I had bacon and potatoes topped with a fried egg. Today is my rest day from crossfit, thank goodness, but I kind of woke up wishing I was supposed to go because I'm so afraid of talking myself out of it still! Tonight for dinner is slow cooker kalua pork from Nom Nom Paleo. I had to use kosher salt though instead of Hawaiian because it's what I had on hand! It's good stuff!

Emma, I do love my crossfit classes! I really feel like I hit the jackpot with this box too because everyone has been so great. It's humbling to go into that environment and truly realize just how much you've let your body go. Because you're right, it is definitely a cognitive process as well. I'm learning things that I know I would have been able to do when I was more in shape, but just can't quite grasp as fast as I'd like, and the other thing is balance and coordination. It's one thing to gain weight from not taking care of your body, it's another thing to realize your balance and coordination went right down the toilet too. It's those subtle, quiet things that you don't realize that are happening that are the most terrifying. I wish we could go together too, it would be a great journey! This box has a kids program too that I will likely be signing my kids up for in the next few weeks. I really want it to be a part of their lifestyle, not something they have to have hit them like a ton of bricks later in life that they should be doing!

It was awesome! It totally kicked my rear, and I thought I might pass out or punch the coach (just kidding!), but I made it through. It took a bit to recover. We did power snatches, split jumps, and ring ups. 5 rounds of 30 sec for each thing, plus a 30 sec rest between each one. 14 and half minutes of pure hell. ;) I was ready to go right back at it this morning, but when I got out of bed, I could hardly put weight on my foot, so I thought I should make sure that wasn't more serious by waiting a bit and icing it. It is still sore but it's feeling better. I really think it's my shoes. And I just cannot afford better shoes right now, so I'll do the best I can. But I really do love it! And I'm excited that my kids are into it too. Everyday they ask me how my workout was and what I did, so I show them a clip of whatever we did. My squat is already improving, but it still hurts like nothing else! My lungs hurt a little too, but I think that's from being so out of shape, and now I'm forcing them to work harder. It's amazing to me how much we don't realize what's happening to our bodies when we are not taking care of them. My balance and coordination has been damaged, my lung capacity shrunk, my muscles went dormant or wasted away, my energy plummeted, high bp, etc. It's been humbling and super scary to realize how much damage I've done to myself. But I aim to change all that!

On a good note, I woke up today and after my foot was feeling better, I started goofing off with my youngest. In the middle of a Lady Gaga silly lip sync/dance move it dawned on me how long it's been since I've done that and how happy I felt. It's been so long. So to make a long story short, my WOD was exactly what I needed it to be! :)

Yayyy! Clapping and cheering as if I was right there dancing too!  Gosh it is so fun to be using our bodies and feel like they are strong and happy to be used.  It's infectious!  Just think how nice it is to now go to the doctor and be able to say, "Well yes, of course I'm eating well.  Exercising?  Oh I go down to my local box throughout the week."  You are creating a fantastic start to 2014.

Ok, so as the day went on, my foot kept feeling better, although still sore. However, I began to feel like my sore lungs were maybe more than just from exercise. By evening, I thought for sure I was getting a full blown chest cold. I couldn't fall asleep until 1-2am, but I did sleep until almost 9am, so I did still get around 7 hours of sleep, which I needed badly. My chest still feels sore and I still have a bit of a cough, but it's not as bad as yesterday. So now I don't know what to think it is! All I know is I am missing my crossfit classes terribly and can't wait until Monday to get back at it. I am glad I listened to myself enough to rest though.

I have been planning/writing a grocery list today so I can get my nutrition back on a track I want it. Tomorrow is shopping day/prep day. I still can't get over how good I am starting to feel, physically and mentally. It's what I've been waiting for! Thanks for the encouragement friends, it's part of my daily dose of inspiration! :)

So I went back today and my WOD was the 1st WOD from the Crossfit Open. It was 30 double unders, and 15 snatches at 55lbs. You had 10 minutes to do as many as you could. I didn't even get one double under. The good thing about that is two things. One, next year for the Open, I will SMASH my double under record. ;) Second, I jumped rope for ten minutes. TEN MINUTES. I'm sure I didn't look great doing it, but I did it! And I'm sure there are athletes out there that might think that's cute. But when you're out of shape, 10 minutes is a really long time to jump rope. It's a victory for me, and that's what matters!

I am dog-tired. I am already not sleeping great, but then the Oscars were on last night and that's my thing. I wanted to be an actress when I was little so bad. So I didn't fall asleep until around 1am. I'm shooting for an 8-9pm bedtime tonight. (I think my eyes actually rolled involuntarily when I typed that!)

I have a ham in the oven which I will be pairing with green beans. It smells really good. Speaking of which I have to go tend to it! :)

I'm sorry I've been MIA. I am sooooooo sick. It finally caught up to our house when my husband brought it home with him from the road! And mom's don't generally get sick days anyway, but when daddy is a long haul truck driver, there is no back up at home. Today was baseball opening day, which meant an all day trip to the ballpark. Not even remotely what I should have been doing, but it's what I had to do! It was a beautiful day and it was fun, but I am definitely run down. I went to crossfit on Monday, and that was it. By Tuesday my body was done. So I don't feel good and I haven't got to workout, which I love now, so BOOOOO. I just hope I am well enough by Monday to at least start working out again.

My eating hasn't been great. But I've tried to make some good choices in there too, and I know I am aware of my choices, which is a big thing for me. Thanks for checking in on me, it made me feel a little better! :)

Ok, so I made it through the 'feeling like something is lodged in my chest' phase, just got out of the 'I can't breath through my nose' phase, now I'm trying to shake the 'coughing so much my head and throat hurt' phase. So frustrating. And I really, REALLY miss working out.

Tomorrow starts a renewed sense of better eating. I have definitely slipped being so sick. But as of tonight, that's now in the past. Tomorrow for breakfast is homemade maple sausage (recipe from Against All Grain and it is SOOOOOOO good.), some eggs scrambled with a kale/spinach mix. Lunch will be some meat roll ups with some sort of side salad, and for dinner, taco shepherds pie. I can't wait to try it. Instead of a cauliflower topping, I am going to go with sweet potatoes as I've had them mixed with taco meat before and loved it.

Here's to good health! ;)

It's is a nasty bugger going around!  Isn't it fun how into working out you are!  Again, I am quite envious of your location and your local box.  Hope you start feeling better soon, though I know it might be several more weeks before you're back to your regular self.  Way to go on the healthy cooking and recipes amidst it all.

I am ready to get back at my beloved Crossfit! I finally feel much better, even though I know it will be a bit before it's truly all cleared up. I plan to go back Tuesday, as I have a really important meeting Monday. I have to meet with the principal and a teacher that's been bullying my kid. I have a feeling the end result will be that I will have to homeschool him, because there is no other class for him to be transferred to, but we do what we have to for our babies! I could go to a different crossfit class that day, and I might, but I anticipate a high amount of stress and more errands if I do have to pull him out of school. So I don't want to beat myself up over not making it in on top of all of that!

Today was simply bacon and eggs for breakfast with coffee and coconut milk. Not sure about lunch, but tonight will be the taco shepherds pie I wanted to have a few nights ago that I never did! I hope everyone has a great day!

Archived