Starting Sunday! But need help or reassurance

buckeyeatheart

Hi everyone! I am so excited to start my whole30 on Sunday, as that is the first day I will be back from vacation and I am too impatient to wait until Monday. This is my first one and I am fairly (read, very) new to the paleo lifestyle. However after reading The Paleo Solution and It Starts With Food I am more than ready, like so many Others, to get this started!

I have been eating pretty paleo for about the last month, but even before that I had cut my grains to about one serving per day. After cutting dairy and grains almost fullyI've felt so good! However my problem is that once I get a taste of the bad stuff, I keep wanting more and more to the point where the cravings are awful and I literally cannot think about anything except food. I thought I was practically over it until today when the exact same thing happened and I basically had a little after-dinner-raid-the-fridge-and-eat-everything party... I don't know if this is because I know I'm starting the whole30 and I won't be able to have this stuff, or maybe just out of control sugar monster? It wasnt even stuff i really liked, which irks me so badly! Either way, sorry if this post didn't really flow together! What I am trying to say, and reassure myself of, is that the whole30 will help me out with these dumb food issues and maybe even my whole "dessert" mentality.. Right? Let me know how this worked for you! I am really looking forward to trying this out and quenching my sugary "thirst" as much as I can! Thanks!

Hi there! I'm starting on Day 11, and I have suffered from a sweet-tooth for most of my life. I think one way to fight sugar cravings during your first Whole30 is to allow yourself some healthy, W30-approved, slightly sweet foods like coconut (meat, milk, water, cream, etc.), fruit, and starches like yams, sweet potatoes, and butternut squash. I think it's also recommended (in Robb Wolf's The Paleo Solution, for example) that you should limit yourself with the fruit for weight loss. Good luck!

Hi buckeyeatheart,

I understand where you are coming from because I have been there and still struggle with cravings. There is one thing that Melissa and Dallas say in their book that really resonated with me. They talked about how it is easier to say no all together than to wean ourselves off. I have to say that makes total sense to me and is working for me. I have been "weaning" myself off of sugar and unhealthy carbs my whole life (lol) if you get my drift. I have to say that I am an addict. They can be just as addictive as drugs or alcohol to an addict. I have found that by cleaning them completely out of my system especially since I went gluten-free and paleo it is so much easier now to just "walk away" when I am presented with an opportunity to eat them.

I am on day 7 of the Whole 30 and I feel awesome. I have more energy than I have had in years. Last September I began working on going gluten-free and paleo. What I found in the months that follow is that you can find as many bad food choices in gluten-free as you can with the other grains.

I never dreamed that I would be able to live without bread, sugar, or dairy but I am doing it and I feel great. It was not easy at first but it is sure easier than any other food programs, diets, and lifestyles that I have chosen in the past. This is the first time ever that I have not been visited by what I like to call the "food monster" that crazy craving you get way down inside that says "give me anything!" After just two days in I was fine. I have to also say that I am not hungry. Believe me I have truly struggled with this in the past.

I am sold on the Whole 30 and paleo. I wish you the best of luck and I do not have a buddy yet. So, if you need one let me know because I can use all the help I can get as well.

Hang in there! :) I know you can do it.

Faith

Thanks so much anyone! Faith, I feel exactly the same way you do. I gave up sugar for lent the last 2 years and it was actually awesome... I didn't even really want sweets since I gave them up "cold turkey" but as soon as I had it again, the same battle seeme to happen. I think I am not really good with the whole moderation thing.. It's just how I am. I guess I am an all or nothing sort of girl. I am looking forward to startin tomorrow and hopefully this helps a lot! And I know paleo is the way to go; I feel ten times better this way. It's just when I go "off" plan it turns into

Something bad... And how does the whole buddy thing work, because I would be up for that!

Thanks so much anyone! Faith, I feel exactly the same way you do. I gave up sugar for lent the last 2 years and it was actually awesome... I didn't even really want sweets since I gave them up "cold turkey" but as soon as I had it again, the same battle seeme to happen. I think I am not really good with the whole moderation thing.. It's just how I am. I guess I am an all or nothing sort of girl. I am looking forward to startin tomorrow and hopefully this helps a lot! And I know paleo is the way to go; I feel ten times better this way. It's just when I go "off" plan it turns into

Something bad... And how does the whole buddy thing work, because I would be up for that!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/sugar-cravings/#axzz21xW8cXeK

Sugar has been proven to be very addictive. If I don't have sugar at all, I think of it from time to time, but in general I feel much better physically and emotionally. The problem is once I have any, I ALWAYS go back for more, then more and more... Before I realize it, I am hooked up again. To make it worse, unlike alcohol or cigarettes, it's an addiction that's well accepted(It's called having a sweet tooth.) So I have to be careful NOT to think in a way that "A little bit sugar is fine."

buckeyeatheart - I am not exactly sure how the buddy system works. I am guessing that you pick someone to be buddies with and just support one another. I am almost as new to the forums as you are - so I am not certain. Anyway that is my guess.

Annie - I totally agree with you. Once I start consuming sugar it is hard to stop.

I think that works Faith! I need a buddy as much as anyone, and hopefully that will keep me accountable! This sugar addiction of mine is basically what I am trying to kick, but not restricting fruit really-- I won't be having tons, hopefully, but it's the refined stuff and all the super addictive junk foods that I am really trying to stop having. And Annie, that is seriously exactly how I feel. If i'm off it, i am fine, but when i have something it seriously triggers a domino effect! I will probably post a food log tomorrow, not sure if I will do it every day because that reminds me a liiiiiitle too much of when I did calorie counting ( it was awful and obsessive and I do NOT want to be back at that spot, even though I know this is totally different) but thank you so much everyone!

The only way I was able to get my sugar/carb cravings under control was to eliminate them completely. Fruit on the lower end of the sugar spectrum, like berries, and starchy veggies/tubers like squashes and sweet potatoes are nourishing to the body. I eat those, but I have had to give up sugar, grains, legumes, and dairy. (BTW, with the exception of heavy cream, dairy contains milk sugars.)

Cutting back on sugar is a total waste of time, imo, unless you are very self-disciplined. (I am not!) Just yesterday, I realized the green grapes I ate with lunch were making me crave sugar. So I eliminated them from my diet. I've had to learn what I can eat and what I cannot. Even though I have eliminated a lot of foods, there are still many things I CAN eat.

Hey there! Starting a whole30 today, as well! Hoping we can lend each other support! Your post definitely strikes a chord!

I went insane the week before my first 30, eating anything I could get my hands on that I knew I couldn't have once I started the program. I regretted that lol. But I can tell you, you will eventually feel terrific with all that stuff out of your system.

I am also a complete sugar/carb addict and never felt better as I did on my first whole30. I agree with other posters that it is pretty much an all or nothing deal. In order to keep my cravings under control I ate butternut squash- about 1/3 cup at a time- and sweet potato- 1/2 a potato at a time pretty consistently. Tried not to have both in 1 day too often, and did squash at lunch, potato at dinner. Typically a big fruit eater, I chose to curb intake to a serving every couple of days or so. I noticed I didn't miss the fruit at all and much preferred having the squash or potato since it also made me more satiated- fruit tends to make me hungrier, except banana which I avoid.

The whole30 is going to be the best solution for you, so good luck!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/on-the-problems-of-cultivated-fruit/#axzz221XYWPdP

The fruit that we eat now tastes very different from the fruit our grandparents ate when they were kids. Guess what's the biggest difference? Yes, sugar. Our fruit is super sweet. Adagio I totally hear you, I only eat wild berries in general when I want fruit. And I eat all kinds of veggies every day so get plenty nutrition from the green babies.

Buckeyeatheart - Awesome! Buddies we will be. I started a log and I agree with you I want to be able to write when I feel like it not because I have too. I have noticed that everyone does it differently and seems to be doing what they want. So, go for it!

As far as the fruit goes. I do not go over two servings a day. I did not want to limit myself the first week on Whole 30 because I figured it would help keep me from wanting to stray from the program. I am finding now that I have been on the Whole 30 for a week I do not feel the need for it as much as I did the first few days.

I am trying to build a different relationship with food. I am working on really listening to my body and letting it tell me what it needs. For so many years I have had so many rules around the way I eat and none of it was really healthy. I have learned this past year that many things I thought were off limits are really healthy and things I thought were healthy before I have now learned are not. For example, I grew up thinking that whole wheat was so good for me - turns out it is not. I also grew up thinking that avocados, bacon, and mayo were off limits but now I now they are good for in reasonable portions. My journey is all about feeling better, being healthy, and being in touch with my body.

I am so shocked and happy that I feel as good as I do and I have not had dairy, grains, or sugar in a whole week! Amazing!

Lauralyn - Best of luck to you too on your journey.

An interesting tidbit - I was really surprised to find out that bananas have more fiber than all the other fruits with the exception of pears.

Have an beautiful day everyone!

Faith, thanks a lot! So far, so good today but of course I know that this is the super new honeymoon phase (yes, it's only been half a day, but I can call it that, right?). And LauraLyn, I am right there with you! Good luck today too :) Support is awesome so I am glad everyone here is so understanding, because sometimes I seriously felt I was the only one that had these monster cravings! I am so confident that this is the right choice, which is funny because when I first heard of a Whole30 (not that long ago), my thought was "hell no".. guess that changed a little didn't it! One of my biggest challenges will be cutting out snacking (as well as the sugar) because I seriously snack whenever I am bored and I do NOT need it.. I am always still full/ not hungry from the meal before! I'll post a food log later tonight! Thanks again so much everyone!!

Hi Buckeyeatheart,

How's it going? I had some cravings last night because I had the TV on - had t watch the Olympics. However, I did not give in to my cravings and that is the important part. They were not bad and I really think they were just brought on by the commercials. It is funny though because now I look at all that stuff and most of it (most - -_- ) does not look as good as it used to. Especially when I start thinking about what is in it and how it effects my body.

Hope all is well. Have a great day.

Faith

Hi faith! I am doing well so far I think and no cravings yet! If anything I am just SO full I have to make myself eat :/ this always seems to happen and I kind of hate it.. I like not being hungry but I don't like being too full! I had some good stuff to eat today and that always makes me happier. Are you finding that you crave less junk now and more good food? Because that is awesome! And I agree some of those commercials don't really look that good. I am also kind of surprised athletes would even endorse coke and other junk especially as they obviously don't eat them ( a lot anyway). Hmm just a thought! You are doing awesome though, more than a week in! Keep it up and I hope your day was great as well!

Hi Buckeyeatheart,

Day 10 and going strong. Yes, I do find that I am not craving junk now. In fact, I wonder how I ate it. I do crave the good stuff now rather than the junk. It is funny you said coke because I was watching a coke commercial the other night and thinking - oh there it is the drink that made America obese. I watch some of my nieces guzzling coke and think "No don't do it." I remember a day when I used to do that and know the damage it can do to your body.

I have been actually finding myself getting really full lately too. I made this yummy Supreme Egg Loaf from www.thefoodee.com website (which is awesome by the way) and it really does fill you up. We have had 3 breakfast so far between the two of us and still have some left - it goes a long way. I have been writing about what I cook on my log Faith's Whole 30 Journey. Did you create your log yet?

Keep up the good work! You are on day 3 right?

Faith

Hi Faith,

Now on to day 4! This really isn't too bad yet (I hope that doesn't come back to bite me when I am craving cake and ice cream)! I've been eating lots of veggies and good fats, as well as meats which probably fills me up a lot but I am seriously never hungry... I don't like it. What's your favorite recipe you've made so far? And yes, I did start my log! It's called Hooray for food logs (I have no idea why i named it that, it just was the first thing to come to mind) but I've only entered my first two days in there. i'll check yours out too! Keep it up! Have a great day!

Hi Buckeyeatheart,

I am glad you are not having any problems - that is good. Cake and icecream - yikes! Let's just not go there. Just kidding. I am really doing great as well no cravings today. My favorite recipe so far is the Chicken and Kale Currey from the www.thefoodee.com. It was really awesome. Also, my sister-in-law gave me a great recipe for sweet potatoes that we love. Take two sweet potatoes and slice them in 1/4 inch rounds. Melt two tablespoons of clarified butter and 2 of olive oil, brush a cookie sheet with the mixture. Place the sweet potatoes on the cookie sheet and then lightly brush some of the mixture on the top. Use sea salt to salt them and stick them in a 350 degree oven to cook for 45 minutes. This is a great addition to any meal - they are yummy. What is your favorite recipe so far?

I will check out your log. You have a great day too!

Faith B)

Faith,

Those sweet potatoes sound delicious!! I LOVE sweet potato rounds probably more than I should! Tomorrow will be my week one! And you are more than halfway through right? I've been doing well I think, FINALLY started to get hungry last night again. Oh and I survived the cheesecake factory for my best friend's birthday dinner... Wow. The cheesecake looked good but surprisingly I didn't WANT any. Before, I would've ate some just to be social and inevitably ended up having way more than anyone else, not on purpose, but because sugary things like that are definitely a food with no brakes. Have you had any challenges lately? I'd have to say that the bad part was the social aspect of it ( you're not having any bread? Want to try a bite of this dessert? It's so good!) rather than actually refusing the food itself. Have a great day!!

Hi Buckeyeatheart,

Congrats on 6 days! Yes, I am on my 14th day and going strong. We are actually extending ours to a Whole 40 because we joined the August group. I am so glad you did okay at the Cheesecake Factory, that would be a challenge. I too am finding that I am just not tempted like I used to be. I actually do believe the crap food is addicting when you are eating it.

Okay last night I made Everyday Paleo Salisbury Steak from www.thefoodee.com. It was absolutely delicious. You have got to try it. It was also packed full of goodies but really easy to make. I have to honestly say that I am not experiencing many feelings of deprivation. This is a definite lifestyle change for me. I have tried so many diets, eating programs, etc in my life and I have never felt this good or positive about any of them. I actually believe I have finally found the answer and I am so grateful and happy. I believe I can eat this way the rest of my life. I am having a blast cooking and planning. Also, I have never written in forums like this before. I have been completely dedicated to this whole process. It is like something clicked in me. It is just crazy wonderful.

I hope you have a super day!! :rolleyes: I look forward to hearing more soon.

Hi faith!

I've been slackin on updating, sorry, but everything is still going well. I feel pretty good

And hope to continue to feel this way. And I checked out thefoodee.com and now I have it bookmarked, thank you! It takes good recipes from a bunch of paleo blogs and puts them all together and that is an awesome idea. I'll have to keep that Salisbury steak in mind for next week too! Ok this is random but can I just say I LOVE being able to eat more avocados?! Seriously, before I would always stick to 1/4 of one at a time(per day) and was so sad about it... Hellooooo delicious avocados and not being afraid of fat anymore! I do need to stop snacking though, I do well during the day but when I come home in the afternoon I just always seem to need something till dinner, but I'm not sure if I need it or just WANT it. Have you had anything you're struggling with at all? Have a good day! And keep it up!!

Archived