extended breastfeeding advice welcome

My daughter is almost two and eats a lot of food but still doesn't usually go more than a few hours between nursing. I do not want to lose weight or chip any more teeth and I'm pretty sure she is not going to cut back without a fight.  So I'd love to hear how other mothers keep their supply up and also keep their weight up on w30. Are extra meals and snacks allowed?

Ok, thanks!  It's going to be a little weird going from unbalanced snacking to extra meals but it makes perfect sense. I chipped a lot of teeth while nursing my older two (who are in middle and high school now) but I was vegetarian until the third year of nursing the second, and eating so much bread and dairy had to have been a factor.  I've only chipped two this time, but I really want to feed myself so my body doesn't rob itself to nourish my daughter. OTOH, I am so in awe that my body prioritizes that way and has managed to make three healthy kids even though I wasn't giving it what it needed!  I better start pre-cooking a lot more meat and veggies.

My daughter is almost 18 months old, and there's been a huge upswing in how much milk she wants lately! I was eating three meal-template meals and a mini meal, but I've moved up to four template meals. Sometimes I'll make a HUGE lunch and divide that in two, just to save on the food prep time/"what am I going to eat for an extra meal?" stress.

So, yes. Extra meals and snacks. I find that focusing on getting enough fat helps both with my hunger, my energy, and my milk supply. One and a half avocados a day plus LOTS of coconut oil is not unusual for me.

I am eating a crazy amount of fat this week too, and wondering if she was nursing so much before partly because I was eating too little fat (and too little in general) to keep my supply up.  I can tell she's getting a lot more just by listening to her swallows and by how many diapers she's going through though. It's only day three, so it's hard to say but the increase happened really quickly!  And she's enjoying the change in foods that I'm offering her, too, so it's win/win.

• 1 month later...

Archived