Day 6- belly is sticking out and I still have the 3:00 tireds!

tracita

Am I expecting too much too fast?

I once did a "Fruit Cleanse" (where I ate nothing but fruit for three days- it was with a 90-day challenge group) and my tummy was nice and flat by day two of no carbs! Now I haven't had carbs in 6 days and it's still sticking out!

Thoughts? Encouragement? Ideas?

Thank you in advance.

• Moderators

Check out the timeline for some idea of what to expect: http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/ -- but yes, bloating and tiredness are pretty standard for this point in the program.

Also, this is not specifically a low-carb program, and very definitely not NO carb. Vegetables and fruit have carbs in them. You're leaving out grains, and so it may be lower carb than what you would get if you ate bread or pasta at every meal, but there are still carbs. Some people choose not to include fruit and starchy veggies in an effort to make the program lower carb, but most people, especially women, seem to find they feel better if they have sweet potato, winter squash, or other starchy veggies regularly, and the Whole30 program doesn't say not to have them or to limit them in any way, other than what the meal template says. 

You should also realize it's not a cleanse in quite the same way your fruit cleanse was -- this isn't a clean out your digestive tract sort of thing, it's eliminating from your diet things that many people have problems with or which don't serve to make you healthier, giving all the effects of having those things in your diet time to subside, and then reintroducing them (if you choose to) in order to see exactly how you feel when you don't have them vs when you do have them.

Stick with it for 30 days, more than likely you'll see some improvement. If you continue to have bloating issues, you could post in the Troubleshooting Your Whole30 section, with a list of what you've eaten for a couple of days, and the moderators may be able to help pinpoint things that might be causing you trouble.

I'm on day 36 of a Whole 60+.  I also have a slew of W30's under my belt, and I can tell you that every time I start one, I have bloating around th same time, and it lasts up to a week.  Water with a T of apple cider vinegar (organic) and some digestive enzymes always help.    You may find your system getting a little whonkey during the 30 days but things usually resolve themselves.  If not, there's plenty of great advice on the forums.    Good luck and hang in there. 

I had the 3:00 tireds on and off during my whole 30. Couldn't figure it out especially since I was actually more tired at that time while on program then off.

I think I've narrowed it down to the fruit I was eating as a snack. See I didn't have an afternoon snack every day, only when I was really really hungry. Then it would be berries and almonds, or an orange & pear and coconut or an apple and almond butter.

Turns out oranges and pears have a high GI thingy ( in plain English have higher sugar) and berries don't.. Also the offset of almonds seem to help the keep the tireds at bay. So now when I need a snack i make sure it has a low GI rating and I always mix it with almonds (until I figure out something else that is a good fat and protein mix).

This might help you as well?

Archived