Day 4-going to a BBQ/Pool Party

FireTopRed

Today will be my first real test...a kid free BBQ and Pool party. I made Whole30 approved deviled eggs to bring and I'm sure there will be meat of some sort and a veggie tray. I need to avoid the keg!!! Wish me luck!

What was your first test?? How did you avoid your triggers?

I think my first test was three or four days in too. Going out to eat sushi. Of course not many options, as you can imagine. I'd say any time I eat out is a test, but I ask the waiter lots of questions, make requests, and order what I know is approved. I don't let myself go off plan at all. Sometimes it's easier to have strict rules because it leaves less bad options I find. :). Also if you can bring your own beverage, bring some pellegrino and pit it in a wine glass with I've and lots of lemons and limes. Feels fancy and tastes great. ;)

I find that eating a healthy, filling meal beforehand (last night it was leftover Romaine-avocado-chicken wraps and some roasted acorn squash) and making sure I am well-hydrated makes it WAY easier to resist. This helped me avoid the wine, cheese, crackers, and sweet stuff at last night's get-together...also not hanging out in the same room as the food. :)

BYOF and D. If you bring your own meat to cook and a compliant side dish to share along with a compliant drink, you'll have way less to worry about. We are headed to a BBQ tonight too. I called the hostess and explained what we are doing and asked if it would be ok with her if I brought our own meat/sides and she said "of course!" She also offered to not marinade some of the chicken she is cooking for us, which was nice. I'm bringing a huge garden salad, with dressing on the side, so those who want my compliant dressing can have it or the non-compliant stuff. I'm also going to bring sweet potato spears to grill...serve 'em up with a drizzle of olive oil and salt, pepper and chili powder-yum. I haven't noticed too many people caring about what we are or aren't eating at BBQ's-they are too busy stuffing their own faces! :blink:

My biggest test comes a week from today (on my Day 23) - bachelorette party/overnight campout in hostess's back yard. Food/drinking/silly-fest with the girls. I'm having a hard time. It's a good friend (co-worker) getting married, but a group of her friends I don't know very well, but would like to know better. What better way to bond than to spend a night of drinking and goofiness with them? And if I'm the one abstaining, I may come across as the stick in the mud friend. *sigh*

I survived today! Passing up birthday cake was even OK, I had a small bowl of fruit instead! Whew! I'm glad I'm done with that!

Ann, make you self the designated driver! That is always a good excuse! Good luck! I'm sure you can do it! The party I went to today was a party where everyone was silly and drinking. I found that I was OK and catching on to their sillyness just being near them!

Since it's a sleepover/campout, no need for DD -- that is, unless the party continues in the morning with Bloody Mary's (wouldn't be surprising! haha!) It'll be fine.

GOOD JOB on getting thru the pool party!!

Archived