Day 24-Not hungry and food isn't appetizing

prof10au

I did my first Whole 30ish August 2012.  I dont know how long i stayed on it but it was a few months. I lost about 30 lbs and then adopted paleo lifestyle.  I have since gained 20 lbs back and decided to start this year off with AIP version.  The first 2 weeks were really easy-No detox or withdrawals.  Then it seemed a switch flipped.  Food no longer sounds good to me and that is a HUGE problem.  I am a big foodie and love cooking and trying new things.  I've been tracking my food in MyFitness Pal and I'm only eating about 1,000-1,200 calories a day.  I know that is not enough, but I'm not hungry and I'm having to make myself eat.  I lost 6 lbs my first 2 weeks then gained 1 on my third week.  I don't really feel any differently other than I don't want to eat.  Has anyone else had this problem and did you find a way to break through?  It's been going on about 10 days now. 

sample meals

Day 1

2-homemade sausage patty from deer meat

1 cup sauteed kale

1 TBSP Sauerkraut

Tuna in Olive Oil

Salad with olives

1/2 avocodo

Burger with 1 cup of steamed broccoli

snacks, 1 apple, 1 banana, 2Tbsp coconut butter

Day 2

1/4 baked sweet potato

1 cup sauteed spinach

2 slices bacon

1/2 chicken breast

1 cup cabbage

4 oz Roast

1/2 cup carrots1/2 cup sauteed asparagus

snacks, 1 apple, 1 banana, 2Tbsp coconut butter, chicken tender wrapped in bacon

Exercise:

Started CF in January, so very scaled down version 3x a week

Run 2-3 miles 3x a week

Yes, I agree you're not eating enough, especially given your level of activity.  Portion sizes seem on the small side, especially for protein. Some meals seem to be missing fat. The needs for snacks can indicate that your earlier meals aren't big enough.

To address your main question: Maybe try shaking things up with some different recipes or some variety in veggies or protein?

Other thoughts: 

-  If you are truly hungry in between meals, have a mini-meal that includes a protein and fat.  Save your 1-2 daily servings of fruit to have with or immediately after meals only.

- Independent of the in between meals, are you have pre/postWO snacks around your runs and workouts?

- Are you staying sufficiently hydrated? Aim for drinking water, in the amount of half your body weight in ounces, daily.

- Why are you following the AIP protocol? I don't see any mention of you having an auto-immune illness?

- Step away from the scale, plus Whole30 discourages tracking calories. The idea is to tune into your body's satiety signals.

- If you want to lose weight, drop the bacon. It's not a great protein-dense source.

I am trying AIP because I have several issues that appear to be auto immune related.  I have had 3 surgeries to remove fibriods and currently have more, interstitial cystitis, and suffered from aspartame poisoning.  I also didn't lose any weight on paleo so I thought food allergies could be a factor.  I am 5'5 207 lbs  I usually eat my snacks post work out.  I don't get hungry between meals and I failed to mention my veggies are usually sauteed in coconut oil and my salad dressings are either MCT oil or olive oil.  I probably drink the minimum amount of water 6 glasses a day.  I know I should stay off the scale and not worry about weight, but it seemed when I did that and didn't track my food is when I gained weight doing paleo.  I've tried to do new recipes, but like I said, nothing sounds appealing to me.  Not even off plan food.  I wonder if my digestion is telling me it needs a break and maybe I should try Intermittent fasting? 

So I tried adding an extra meal yesterday:

breakfast

sausage and sauteed kale in coconut oil

snack

apple

lunch

1/2 chicken breast baked in coconut oil

1 cup of sauteed cabbage in olive oil

snack

1/2 chicken breast

lettuce

1 avocado

olive oil

dinner

1/2 burger

1/2 sweet potato

gained 1 lb :-(

Again please please please stay off the scale. Our weight fluctuates daily, whether or not we change our way of eating.  Hide it, put it in the trunk of your car, or give it to a friend for the rest of your Whole30.

Intermittent fasting is not a practice we would recommend while on an AIP. It's a very stressful practice, and if you're battling an autoimmune condition, your body really cannot handle more stress.

We generally recommend doing the AIP only if you have an auto immune diagnosis. In the absence of a diagnosis, the recommendation is to do the standard Whole30 first.

If your water glass is 12oz, you're not drinking enough water. The recommendation is to drink half your body weight in ounces, daily, which, for you, would translate to 104 oz.

Did you add a 4th meal because you were hungry? We only want you to have more than 3 meals if you are genuinely hungry in between.

Edited by MH. While we strongly discourage IF for the vast majority of our population for a variety of reasons, you can certainly do the Whole30 while intermittent fasting if you so choose.

Yeah, don't add another meal beyond the three unless you're hungry. Remember the Whole30 is about learning when you are satiated. Better to increase the portion size in your 3 meals. Maybe a bit more protein in one, a bit more veggies in another?

Archived