Alcohol was probably a bad idea

lulamb505

Hi there W30-ers!

My boyfriend and I completed our Whole30 in January with no slip-ups and all of the results we wanted: we both lost about 10lbs, slept like babies all month, and felt amazing.

We planned our reintro meal last night and while the dinner was great, last night was like a scene from the Exorcist. The BF was up all night with his heart racing and severe stomach pains and I projectile vomited twice. Fun times! (Sorry for the level of detail but this forum strikes me as relatively no-holds-barred.) 

The funny thing is, we thought we were relatively compliant last night. There were some obvious things:

1. Alcohol - I had a glass of wine at home while the BF had a beer to cheers ourselves for completing our challenge. At the restaurant, over 2 hours, I had two more glasses of wine and BF had two more beers. I should also point out here that before W30 that would have been an EXTREMELY easy-going Saturday night for us!

2. Dairy - I had a tiny smidge of goat cheese on my salad, and the BF had a single scoop of icecream after dinner. 

3. Sugar - we got a slice of apple pie for dessert and neither of us ate much of it. I had a few apples, no crust, and BF had about 3-4 bites with crust and apples. He did go for the ice cream that I mentioned above, though. 

That's it. The BF had a baked potato but that seems pretty benign to me. 

So, definitely didn't follow reintro protocol of one thing at a time, but also couldn't believe the level of awful-ness after what we thought was a pretty clean dinner (shrimp cocktail, salads, steak for entrees, sauteed broccoli rabe for the sides) with just a few little add-ons. 

I'm also horrified at the thought that I should have been feeling like this for the past 29 years but my body was so screwed up it didn't even realize all of the crap I've been putting into it. Yikes.

This morning I declared that I was never drinking again (just like the good old days) but realistically, I would like to work that back into my diet. 

BF thinks last night was the result of food combining/too much at once and I tend to pass all of the blame to the alcohol. Perhaps both. Thoughts?

We're hosting a dinner for some friends at our place next weekend and while I am RUNNING back to my nice safe W30 foods this week, I'd like to enjoy that dinner without a repeat of last night's performance!

I'd say it was just too much at several levels -- combining several reintroductions at once can be risky. But, that said, I'd probably lean towards blaming the alcohol, too -- just because 3 drinks after a Whole30 probably feels like about 10 pre-Whole30. Every time I do a Whole30, I get very sensitive to alcohol (which is not a complaint, just an observation) to the point that 2-3 drinks will be enough to give me a bit of a hangover. i'd imagine that combined with dairy, if you're sensitive to dairy, could do a real number.

I started my reintroduction with wine, too.  Didn't get sick, but I had a hangover after 2 glasses.  I also slept terribly.  So, I am moving on  to beans and limiting alcohol to special occasions (like Valentine's Day, my birthday, anniversary etc.)  Its just not worth it.

First congratulations on your success with the program!

As to your question I agree with CAK911 it might have been too much at once or the alcohol. Hard to tell. My advice is that you return to W30 compliant for a few days (until you feel better) and then try more careful introductions so you can better access. You might want to leave trying alcohol again until after you introduce other things. 

I think it was the amount of alcohol plus. You basically reintroed alcohol, gluten and dairy all in one shot.

My suggestion would be to return to 100% Whole30 eating for a few days until you feel better, then proceed with controlled reintros one at a time.

Do not underestimate how much your tolerance for alcohol will drop after 30 days. I was a big (and I mean BIG) red wine drinker pre-Whole30.

On Monday, I had one glass of wine and was fine...although I milked that glass for an entire 2 hour dinner.

Last night, my boyfriend and I went out for dinner...no alcohol, but then we decided to go for a drink afterwards. First glass of wine I was fine, we decided to order a second glass and I'm not kidding you, one sip and I could feel the alcohol start to hit me. I did not drink any more after that because I had to drive home, but honestly, even if I wasn't driving I wouldn't have finished it. That's how much I was starting to feel it.

So, for right now, its gonna be one glass only when I'm out. And I was a one BOTTLE girl before... (can't believe I'm admitting that, but I think there are a lot of us out there).

Archived