Erin's Whole30 Log

SalsaEzz

Setting this up now to get started next Monday 10th!

Have been planning this for quite a while.. already eating 'clean' but haven't yet cut grains and dairy... or the occasional wine.

Looking forward to the full Whole30 starting next week!

--

Today is now Day 1 and I thought I would leave a little note for myself to remember how I was feeling when I get to Day 30.

Of course I don't expect a miracle cure for all these things - but more so I can compare at the end if I've had any improvement.

Issues of note:

- Last night I had a terrible nights sleep, after a few low carb beers through the afternoon went to be exhausted but 'wired' and tossed and turned all night. For lunch I had eggs benedict on an english muffin and dinner was a piece of frozen fish (steamed) and brown rice.

- my skin is not amazing, but not terrible, I do suffer redness around the nose/chin area that I would like to see resolved and a bit of a break out on the chin

- After a few drinks Friday & Saturday, and reasonably portioned Mexican dinner Saturday, I had terrible stomach pain Saturday & Sunday immediately on waking. Gassy/bloated you know the deal.

- Sneezing and congested (this new allergy I have??), every day this week my nose has been full of dried mucous (sorry!) for NO APPARENT REASON. Throughout the day I also experience congestion. This has been on and off for about four months and I suspect the trigger is wheat or alcohol/wine

- I've lost 4.4kg since January 2nd (5.5 weeks) by mostly clean eating. 

- I've had 2.5 weeks of total rest due to injury to my ribs/internal obliques (MRI results tonight). Looking forward to recovery and slowly easing back into training this week. The pain radiating into my groin is the worst.

- My ankle sprain from April 2014 still causes me daily pain, even while resting from training.

- I have definitely noticed that I've been feeling tired all the time, even without hectic training scheduled

- Walking up the stairs at home makes my legs ache, even though I am not training currently

- Undiagnosed issue (after lots of scans and tests) around the feeling that I need to pee all the time. Has abated since initial flare up (Nov 2013) but still doesn't feel resolved. Right now, have drunk 300mls of water, feeling is a full/irritated bladder type feeling.

- current injury is my second major soft tissue injury from salsa training within a 12 month period - obviously the whole 30 isn't long enough for me to see a difference but a reduction in injuries in the long run is definitely a goal!

- I have 'bad shoulders' for no apparent reason - tendinitis and inflammation with my lifts or also show moves

- Ongoing issues (2 years +) with my right hip/glutes/hamstring/quad

- Sometimes I feel foggy and bleary eyed even when I know I am well rested

- No matter when I go to bed, getting up before 8.00am is an absolute struggle to get out of bed

Whole 30... change my life!!! I'm ready!!

Today [Day 2] I feel exhausted. Bleary eyes and all. I went to bed around 10.30/11.00pm and my alarm goes off at 7.00am when I am still sound asleep. This isn't new, story of my life.

I am still quite gassy/bloated

Day 1 Diary

Breakfast
Nectarine
Handful of cashews

Lunch
Poached chicken
Carrot celery cucumber capsicum tomato

Dinner
Same as lunch but made into curry with garlic, onion, curry powder and coconut cream

Thanks Physibeth

Yep I've got the meal template, yesterday morning I was rushed at work and didn't have time to stop and make breakfast so it got to 11.30am and all I'd had was the nectarine & cashews in between meetings.

When your refer to portion sizes, are you just talking about the 'palm sized' protein etc? In which case, yep, all over it now. 

Today for breakfast I had 3 eggs scrambled with a 1/4 avocado. :)

Thanks Physibeth

Yep I've got the meal template, yesterday morning I was rushed at work and didn't have time to stop and make breakfast so it got to 11.30am and all I'd had was the nectarine & cashews in between meetings.

When your refer to portion sizes, are you just talking about the 'palm sized' protein etc? In which case, yep, all over it now. 

Today for breakfast I had 3 eggs scrambled with a 1/4 avocado. :)

Awesome. Do remember to have veggies with your breakfast too though. Avocado is a fat source for the purpose of Whole30. I like to saute big handfuls of kale and scramble my eggs into that when it gets cooked down for my meal 1. 

Day 2

Breakfast
3 eggs scrambled and 1/4 avocado

Lunch
Leftover chicken & vegetable curry from day 1

Dinner
Whole 30 'tuna rice'
Cauliflower rice, tuna, coconut cream, tomato paste

Snacks
1 handful cashews
Nectarine

I know I shouldn't be snacking but at 11.00am I was starving and not ready for lunch. Same at 5.00pm. Am I not eating enough?

I'm going to struggle with this 'eating enough', I normally dance 15-20 hours a week and am currently on total rest due to injury.

I'm also trying to lose weight so frightened of bigger portions.

Breakfast was missing veggies. Avocado is a fat on a Whole30, so add 1-3 cups of veggies to your breakfast.

If you are genuinely hungry in between (hungry = you could eat steamed fish and broccoli), have a mini meal that includes a protein and fat. Nuts are a fat source on a Whole30. Save your 1-2 daily fruit servings to enjoy with or immediately after your meals.

Keep playing with the protein, veg and fat portions until your meals satiate you for 4-5 hours.  Don't let the bigger portions scare you. 

Make sure you're staying sufficiently hydrated. Aim for drinking water, in the amount of at least half your body weight in ounces, daily.

Thanks guys.. I reckon there's only veggies in my breakfast because of you!! I would have avoided it otherwise.

Day 3

Breakfast

3 eggs scrambled, 1 cup steamed kale, 1/4 avocado, 6 - 8 grapes, 3 cashews

Lunch (made it through without starving!)

Leftover "paleo tuna rice" from last night (small portion)

Extra poached chicken, capscium, cucumber, tomatoes

Dinner

Poached chicken, capscium, celery, tomato, closed handful cashews

My Whole30 email said today would be tough.. but I'm feeling really good today. Yesterday I felt absolutely terrible. I think that my "low carb flu" hit me sooner because I was already eating *fairly* clean, not a standard Australian/American diet that's for sure.

This is encouraging, maybe I'm through the worst of it!

Day 4

Woke up more easily than usual, but still slow going and sluggish.

Today I felt like a 'treat' so I bought a bottle of sparkling mineral water. :D

Just purchased 'it starts with food' :)

Breakfast

3 eggs scrambled, 1 cup steamed kale, 6 - 8 grapes, 1 plum, 3 cashews

Lunch

Poached chicken, capsicum, celery, tomato, handful of kalamata olives, closed handful of cashews

Snack

My team at work were passing around lollies. The sugar dragon reared up and I had cashews on my desk.

Another small handful of cashews.

Dinner

Cacao Chilli Beef mince & steamed vegetables

Day 5

This is probably the longest I have been able to stick to a diet resolution in a long time.

Today I woke up ANGRY. Then I checked the timeline. I am ANGRY because I went to bed feeling bloated and gassy, and woke up the same way!!! It's not supposed to be like this.

I suspect the chili powder is at fault. I was already eating fairly clean, so I didn't expect a massive adjustment period. So I'm doubtful to pass this off as just 'adjusting'. I'm going to finish the beef mince then cut out chili for the next few days and see if it calms down.

Today I tried coconut milk in coffee. BLEH! Guess I'm giving up coffee.

Breakfast

Leftover chili mince on a bed of steamed kale with 1 poached egg, there's a splash of coconut milk in the mince.

Few sips of coconut milk coffee

Lunch

Leftover chili mince, poached chicken, 1/4 avocado, capsicum, cucumber

Dinner

I don't remember?!? But it was whole 30 compliant

Chicken.. vegetables.. maybe a curry

Day 6

Had a big nap today... about 3 hours. Needed it!

Right on the mark with the timeline.

Breakfast

2 poached eggs, 1 tomato & a cup of kale sauteed in coconut oil

1 teaspoon of tahini (so it says.. May contain traces of peanut.. I am worried about this I won't eat again)

Lunch

Chicken & vegetable curry with caulflower rice

Dinner

Handful of cashews

Pork & Beef mince chili on bed of steamed kale

Day 7

Breakfast

3 eggs scrambled, large handful of carrot sticks, handful of cashews (on the go)

Coffee with coconut milk (home made) - drinkable this time!

Lunch

Chicken & vegetable curry

Dinner

Chicken & vegetable curry

Day 8

Last night I had my first dream about eating something non-compliant! I can't remember the details exactly, but I remember it was a small additive in something where I was aware that I couldn't eat it but ate it anyway.. and now I still feel guilty!!!!

Last night I slept like a baby and woke up feeling refreshed. Wow. Not quite jumping out of bed yet but getting there.

I'm really struggling with fats. Avocado is so expensive, I don't feel I should be eating nuts all the time.. and getting a thumb of oil in a meal is really tough. Coconut milk is probably my saviour.. but I worry I'm having too much of that.

Breakfast

Leftover chili beef mince on a bed of steamed kale, one poached egg.

A plum, handful of grapes

Lunch

Poached chicken, carrot, celery, cucumber

Handful of kalamata olives

Dinner

Tuna, tomato paste, coconut milk heated on bed of cauliflower

Sliced portobello mushroom sautéed in coconut oil

Day 9

I've noticed that I'm waking up 10 minutes or so before my alarm quite alert and happy, not groggy and grumpy at all.

However now I'm in the office I'm in a bit of a slump, fatigued, sleepy, like I could have a nap.

Today I am bloated, gassy, burpey and nauseus. Hoping this is just a transition period.

Breakfast

Steamed kale, 2 poached eggs, 1 teaspoon home made whole30 mayo

Large handful of grapes

Lunch

Leftover tuna from last night, carrot, celery, tomato, capsicum

Thumb of home made whole30 mayo, 5 olives

Dinner

Vegetable & prawn curry (kale, mushroom, capsicum, tomato, coconut milk, tomato paste, curry powder)

Small handful cashews

Day 10

Sluggish this morning. Slept solidly and woke early.. but snoozed.. and still sluggish to get moving.

Nauseous too.. I'm thinking maybe I need to start eating at home as soon as I wake up otherwise it's about 2 hours until I eat in the office.

I'm also going to increase my portion sizes a bit see if that helps.

Good news - my grey work pants are dragging on the ground! I think this is new.

Breakfast

Steamed kale, 3 poached eggs, 1 thumb home made whole30 mayo

Large handful of grapes

Lunch

Leftover vegetable & prawn curry from last night

Dinner

Pork & Beef mince, spoon of home made mayo

Kale, tomato & mushroom sautéed in coconut oil

Day 11

VERY sluggish this morning, tired at my desk, and it's that time of the month... I am going to try to get to sleep earlier tonight around 10.00pm lights out. Shouldn't I be feeling amazing by now? I feel worse in the mornings than I did last week. I hope to be jumping out of bed when the sun comes up!!

Breakfast

Steamed kale, 2 poached eggs, handful of grapes

1/2 cup of coconut milk with coffee

Lunch

Pork & Beef mince, 2 thumbs of home made mayo, 1 tbpsn coconut milk stirred through

Carrot, celery, capsicum, cherry tomatoes

1 plum

Dinner

Handful cashews

Chicken curry with kale, tomato & broccoli

4:30pm almost falling asleep at my desk..

I'm very blocked up.. (it's been 4 days.. but I'm usually only every 2 - 3 anyway) I've scoured the forums and am going to do the following:

- order digestive enzymes (done)

- pick up some magnesium

- get/make some sauerkraut next week (ordered cabbage - got to get some Mason jars this weekend at Big W)

Thanks Chris - really appreciate your feedback.

I had, for example, a half cup of coconut milk this morning. I feel like this is heaps of fat. Do I need more?

I'm usually extremely active but right now basically sedentary due to a tear in my obliques. If I was training I'd be all for adding more carby veggies and fat.. but I just feel like I shouldn't need to. I'm definitely not hungry.

I don't feel that adding the carb veggies to my breakfast will help me with my sluggishness upon waking... maybe it's the fat not being high enough the previous day.

I'm really really resistant to adding more food in... I know.. I'm working on it. Terrified of not getting results.. terrified of weight gain.. terrified of fat and carbs.. I'm working on it every day.

Lunch is set for today already.. but let me see if I can make a difference at dinner and with my meal plan tomorrow.

Your body needs more carbs just before and during your period. I know I feel better when I up my carbs at that time of the month. You might want to try increasing your protein serving at your first meal as well. I've read in a couple of places this week that increased protein at your first meal helps with sleep. 

Day 12

Ok so.. I'm having some problems with being blocked up.. it's been 5 days.. EVERYBODY is telling me more carb dense veggies... also to reduce my protein to the minimum on the template which makes sense to me.

I've ordered sweet potato with my groceries this week and will have my first serve at breakfast tomorrow morning.

I've ordered digestive enzymes, and picked up a magnesium powder & fennel tea. If I'm in pain tonight before bed I'm going to take senna pills, as a once off, while I improve my diet.

Breakfast

2 eggs scrambled with dash of coconut milk, 2 cups steamed kale, large handful of grapes

Fennel tea - 2 cups from one bag

Going to have a coffee with <1/2 cup coconut milk mid morning

Lunch

Leftover chicken curry from last night

Carrot, celery, cucumber with 2 thumbs of home made mayo

2 cups fennel tea with one bag

Dinner

Pork & Beef Mince with steamed carrot, broccoli & fresh cherry tomatoes

2 thumbs home made mayo

Bioceuticals Muscleze Drink (magnesium supplement)

Looks good - spice up that mayo and make it into a dip for your veggies if you're having trouble eating it. Prasley/dill can make a ranch-ish sauce, or a splash of balsamic vinegar and Italian herbs makes a lovely creamy Italian.

Good luck with the digestion...that's got to be hard. I've never gone quite as long as you with it, but hopefully having cut out your nuts and upped your veggies you'll see some relief soon!

Day 13

No longer in panic mode re: bm but still no massive changes

Breakfast
3 eggs fried in coconut oil, home made mayo, steamed carrot, raw tomato
Coffee with coconut milk (1/2 cup)

Lunch
Skipped - poor planning and traveling so no emergency options
1 date, 5 or 6 almonds

Dinner
Sirloin steak& various Mediterranean vegetables
Handful of olives

Bioceuticals Muscleze (Magnesium drink)

Day 14

I don't feel like I've lost weight this week. :(
Keep trucking. I know it's not all about weightloss and that may come later for me.

I also don't feel great. I am so tired.. Like falling asleep tired. Yes, I didn't get my 9 hours last night, closer to 7 hours.. But the tiredness seems excessive.

Maybe it's the skipped meal yesterday..

Week 2 has not been as amazing as Week 1. Constipated all week, bloating, don't feel like I've lost weight, tiredness.. *sigh*

I'm really hoping I get the fantastic results everyone talks about.. I'm definitely losing a bit of motivation..

One thing I know is that I am sleeping better. Consistently better than I've ever slept. So at least that's something.

Breakfast
Chia seeds, coconut milk, fresh berries
2 eggs scrambled, handful olives
Vegetable juice (celery, carrot, beetroot, ginger, zucchini)

2 dates

Lunch
Leftover Mediterranean veggies, handful of olives
Poached chicken

1 date
Handful of cashews

Dinner
Pork & beef mince, steamed veggies & two thumbs mayo
Banana

Ate too much today. Emotional eating. Over tired (unexplained). Fed up (not seeing/feeling results).

Archived