Starting Whole30 as we head out on 8 day camping trip

citymom

So this might be total craziness. I'm committing to the Whole30 for the month of August. I'm excited.

HOWEVER....today we leave for an 8 day camping trip. My husband does not eat paleo but he so graciously helped me work out a paleo menu. Food that he can eat (and our 3 yr old) and modified versions for me. I am really nervous though. We're going on a camping trip with 2 other families, 15 people total.

I guess it goes to show how badly I want to do this. This is our only official vacation/break of the entire year. If we were going to Maui or somewhere like that, I probably wouldn't worry or try to do a Whole30 while on vacation.

Melissa's post on Vacation 101 helped me a lot as I've been preparing. Mentally preparing is the most work as I tend to think that I'm "missing out" by not being able to have dessert or an iced mocha. That's my biggest goal with this Whole30 to shift that thinking. I have many health issues that are affected by my eating. I just can't go back to eating crap but I still struggle with making this a "way of life". Every time I do a whole30, I tend to think it's just for a short time. Just make it through, I say, and then you'll be ok. That's the biggest way I self sabotage.

I'm looking forward to doing this Whole30 with all of you that are commiting also!! We can do it.

Just think if you do this while camping you will be proving to yourself how do-able this is for everyday life in the future. I think it will be a great opportunity to see how much fun & enjoyment you can get out of a situtation not tied to food & drink.

I think maybe the big thing is to focus on how you feel as opposed to all the things you're not eating that everyone else is, lol. I'm going camping next week with my husband and extended family and I'm the only one who eats this way...I know they'll be enjoying a lot of junk food (which I previously enjoyed on such trips!). But when I think about it, I remember that I always came back from those trips feeling like garbage (you are what you eat, I guess) from an excess of booze, sugar, and refined carbs. I've felt so good since doing my Whole30, I honestly don't think any food is worth undoing that.

It sounds like you've planned ahead, which will probably save you many times. I plan to keep lots of fruit, chopped raw veggies, nuts, etc. around to nibble on next week. Good luck! :)

Archived