Another February 3rder

springbound

Hello everyone!

Day 1!   I'm excited to start this journey.  I lost about 140 pounds after having weight loss surgery almost 2 years ago and have let the bad habits start to creep in again.  My addiction to crunchy carbs has been ridiculous, the diet soda has to stop and I need to stop making cheese one of my primary food groups. And the eating out.  Oy.  I don't eat a lot anymore, but I am not eating food that's good for me.  I thought this might help me get back on a track to eating healthier and being good to my body after all I have put it through.

My wife is doing this with me.  She's type 2 diabetic.  Her blood sugar is regulated well with her meds but she's been making noises about eating better for a while, so we're starting this together. 

I did some prep work yesterday to get ready.  I cooked some sweet potatoes and spaghetti squash plus a vat of taco meat to eat over both of those for lunches.  I also made my breakfast for the next couple of mornings.  I'm not an egg eater, so I made some compliant chicken sausages with a kind of veggie hash with sweet potatoes, brussel sprouts, garlic, pepper and onion.  I bring breakfast to work and I am now responsible for stinking up the office early in the morning.  oops.

I'm already worrying about a challenge we have coming up.  There's a chili fest that we'll be attending with some friends in a couple of weeks.  I have a feeling I'm going to just extend my whole 30 to make it a whole 44 to accomodate a restart so I can go and eat and have a good time and not worry if I try something that's not compliant.  I'm a bit of a foodie and I don't want to miss out on the opportunity to try amazing food from amazing restaurants because of beans or a white potato. I want to start now because I keep putting my start date off because of various reasons. (holidays, birthdays, etc.) 

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started today too. I have slowly let myself gain 10-15 pounds in the past months and the way it makes me feel has a snowball effect. Comfort food is killing me. I love sugar, chocolate, salty high carb snacks and cheese. This is not going to be easy for me, but it is so important. I'm taking back control and focusing on choices. Everything comes down to choices and consequences in the end. I just hope I can stay on the right path.

Hey! I see there are a bunch of people who have started on Feb. 3rd. Ok, well at least a handful. We have all started our own threads though. Does anyone know the best way to get us all on one thread so we can keep each other company?

Nearing the end of day 3 I feel great after two days of headaches, but also feel huge and am realizing after reading the forums, unlike most people here I am actually probably having too much fat. I do not know what to do with my almond butter. I love it and don't want to pitch it, but its clearly going to be a temptation problem for me. 

How are you all doing?

Hey everyone. I started on Feb 3 as well. It's the start of day 4 and things have been going well. I've been eating 80/20 strict paleo for the past 4 months, after completing the 2 month lurong challenge, so about 6 months total. Despite this preparation I have still found that I've made fresh adjustments to my eating habits for the whole 30.

First, canned and prepackaged tuna all seems to have soy in it. I never realized, partly because I never checked the label, figuring tuna in water would just have tuna and water...not so much. Second, I was eating lunch meat for snacks, and it all has added sugar. The idea of snacking is another change. Previously I was eating 3 meals / 2-3 snacks. Now I'm setting the goal of sticking to three slightly more substantial meals. I enjoy this more as it actually requires a little less planning and forethought.

@springboard - this eating style works, no doubt about it. Doing the previous food challenge I lost about 20 pounds of fat and my strength and energy went through the roof, so congratulations on really picking a great strategy to use for eating healthy and starting today instead of tomorrow. I have to ask though, why assume from the start that your going to reset due to the chilli cook off. There will always be an event or occasion of some sort right around the corner, always another temptation. Instead, use it as a chance to prove to yourself that you can do it, you are worth the change and are putting yourself above the food. Plus, there will always be another event coming along after the whole 30, and who knows, you may even find a great whole 30 approved chilli recipe out there. I have a pumpkin chilli recipe that doesn't use beans or added sweeteners that I love making.

Hi Feb. thirders! KAE8886 invited me from a different thread to join this post. This is my second whole 30. I did the last one year ago. I'm finding that I'm very, very hungry, although the snowstorm in the Northeast – I'm in Boston – didn't help, as I was out shoveling snow for two hours yesterday. Today, it is back to the office, and trying to survive there. I'm eating breakfast which was 4 ounces of ground beef cooked onion and garlic with the recipe from well fed, some beat salad from well fed two, celery sticks, and some olives. I also make a gelatin using Plain unflavored gelatin and coffee and coconut milk, and I have some of this every morning.

@Callen, I have found that the tuna canned oil does not have soy in it to the same extent that the tuna canned water does. Look for the ones that are canned with olive oil, Whole Foods has a couple different varieties. There is one with a pop top lid, I think it's about 3 ounces in the can, that I take with me on trips traveling for my office as emergency protein.

I'm already worrying about a challenge we have coming up.  There's a chili fest that we'll be attending with some friends in a couple of weeks.  I have a feeling I'm going to just extend my whole 30 to make it a whole 44 to accomodate a restart so I can go and eat and have a good time and not worry if I try something that's not compliant.  I'm a bit of a foodie and I don't want to miss out on the opportunity to try amazing food from amazing restaurants because of beans or a white potato. I want to start now because I keep putting my start date off because of various reasons. (holidays, birthdays, etc.) 

I totally feel your concern. I originally posted that I planned on having two start dates. I also did not want to put mine off anymore, but I have a big reunion weekend coming up this weekend for my college sports team. All my teammates are big, very active girls and eating and drinking pretty much everything has always been a big part of our culture. 

While I am ok with extending my whole 30, I now don't want to loose the work I've done. These few days have been difficult, and I'm afraid if I let my self go this weekend, it wont just be a little bit, and getting back on the wagon next monday would take me through this whole first week again. I think I'm going to do everything I can to stay compliant this weekend. 

Its Day four and I'm having a hard time getting out of bed. I am exhausted and my muscles are sore even though I didn't work out. I can't wait to get past this stage. Anyone else sluggish today?

I was expecting to crave carbs and sugars more, but I am pleasantly surprised that I am not. I have realized that as long as I have prepared ahead to have good food available, I don't mind eating it. This spells out to me that much of my carb/sugar "addiction" is behavioral...perhaps laziness. other than almost licking the knife after making my daughter a Nutella sandwich (I know, horrible, I'll work on her next) I haven't been tempted.

This is a new journey for me. I appreciate any help and support.

Its Day four and I'm having a hard time getting out of bed. I am exhausted and my muscles are sore even though I didn't work out. I can't wait to get past this stage. Anyone else sluggish today?

I was expecting to crave carbs and sugars more, but I am pleasantly surprised that I am not. I have realized that as long as I have prepared ahead to have good food available, I don't mind eating it. This spells out to me that much of my carb/sugar "addiction" is behavioral...perhaps laziness. other than almost licking the knife after making my daughter a Nutella sandwich (I know, horrible, I'll work on her next) I haven't been tempted.

This is a new journey for me. I appreciate any help and support.

Have you seen the Whole30 timeline?  It gives you an idea of what to expect as you move through the 30 days.

I've had no energy since the afternoon of the 1st day. I usually snack on fruit and carb-y things in the afternoons, so I understand why. I also have Hashimoto's, so the lack of energy is even more extreme. I can't wait to get my energy back!

I'm also the only one in the house doing this, which makes it a challenge. I have a 3yo, a 4yo and an unsupportive husband, so I wasn't able to clean out the pantry and the fridge.

I've been cooking a ton, which is a challenge when you don't cook much in the first place and you have no energy! But I'm getting it done.

Oh, and last night after dinner....major intestinal turmoil!! I thought I was having a baby with all the cramping!! Lol.

That said, I think I'm doing pretty well. I've eaten some delicious food! I'm looking forward to the "tiger blood" stage!

I've had no energy since the afternoon of the 1st day. I usually snack on fruit and carb-y things in the afternoons, so I understand why. I also have Hashimoto's, so the lack of energy is even more extreme. I can't wait to get my energy back!

I'm also the only one in the house doing this, which makes it a challenge. I have a 3yo, a 4yo and an unsupportive husband, so I wasn't able to clean out the pantry and the fridge.

I've been cooking a ton, which is a challenge when you don't cook much in the first place and you have no energy! But I'm getting it done.

Oh, and last night after dinner....major intestinal turmoil!! I thought I was having a baby with all the cramping!! Lol.

That said, I think I'm doing pretty well. I've eaten some delicious food! I'm looking forward to the "tiger blood" stage!

I'm with you Susan!!! I am the only one in my house doing this too. My husband is supportive but not participating. My Kids are 6 & 9 and I can't clean out mu cupboards either. I am, however, serving my family what ever I make for dinner for myself. They can have what they want for breakfast, snacks, and lunch but I am weaning them into healthier eating more slowly starting with dinner time. Looking forward to the Tiger Blood too.  We can do it!

Greetings Fellow February 3rders.  Its half way through Day 4 and I feel great actually.  No grumpy attitude this morning, and I had the day off so I figured i'd do a ton of prep work for the rest of this week and into next week.  Thank you for inviting me over to this thread.  I've been having issues when everyone says eat 1-2 cups of veggies and protein I get about half way through everything and my body is telling me i'm full.  I will say i'm a Soda addict so I stopped drinking soda last week and I think that is why I haven't had the headaches they talk about this week.  When I start getting a hankering for Soda I make up a cup of green tea or chai tea.  I look forward to see how everyone is doing over the next couple of days and hitting that wall in week 2.  My only upcoming struggle I feel will be on day 20 it is my wife's birthday and she wants to go out to eat and all that goes with that.   

Hopefully everyone else is finding this as easy as I am.  

Ken

Hi Everyone. Rkrzywda, Susan, I am with you. Dragging myself out of bed today was not easy despite getting lots of sleep. Like falling asleep at my desk this morning hard. I have been trying to stay light on sweet stuff like fruit and lessening my occasional dependence on coffee on times like this, but I was out yesterday and I knew my boss would just steamroller over me today if I didn't perk up. I caved and got a bunch of fresh berries and kiwi from the deli downstairs and had my cup of coffee. It took me till about noon to perk up, but I"m way better now. 

Still concerned about the weekend. I don't feel bloated, but looking in the mirror I sure look it. I don't want my teammates to think I've let myself go since they saw me two years ago. Also I learned there will be an open bar at the main event followed by more going out afterword. 

Hey! I see there are a bunch of people who have started on Feb. 3rd. Ok, well at least a handful. We have all started our own threads though. Does anyone know the best way to get us all on one thread so we can keep each other company?

Nearing the end of day 3 I feel great after two days of headaches, but also feel huge and am realizing after reading the forums, unlike most people here I am actually probably having too much fat. I do not know what to do with my almond butter. I love it and don't want to pitch it, but its clearly going to be a temptation problem for me. 

How are you all doing?

Pitch the almond butter, then make your own :)  super easy!!!!  Throw some almonds in a food processor for a half hour, add some sea salt (honey after the whole 30) - it tastes better, and of course is better for you!!!  I won't ever buy storebought almond butter again.

KAE8886...

Worry is self inflicted sometimes. Are you going to the reunion to gossip about how everyone looks? Most likely your friends aren't either. Besides, what better way to show how much control you have than by sticking to your diet plan.

It's going to be hard. But you can do it. You might even inspire some!

KAE8886...

Worry is self inflicted sometimes. Are you going to the reunion to gossip about how everyone looks? Most likely your friends aren't either. Besides, what better way to show how much control you have than by sticking to your diet plan.

It's going to be hard. But you can do it. You might even inspire some!

Thanks! You are definitely right. It really is my own judgement and self comparison issues. Somewhere between the now cross-fitters and everyone in their cocktail dresses I'm feeling uncomfortable in my own skin. Your right that this is more self-generate pressure than external pressure. And true, going off road will not help. 

Hello all, I'm on day 4 too.  Feeling bleh, hoping tomorrow will be better.  Been very tempted today at work, bake sale going on right outside my classroom.  No treats for me, not to say that I haven't wanted to indulge.

Hope everyone has a great rest of the night!

Hello everyone! I started the Whole30 on the 3rd too. I was eating a 80/20 paleo for about 4 months (similar to Callen). I tried to do the Whole30 when I started paleo and succumbed to a dessert I will not mention during my second week. Then I read It Starts With Food last month and my viewpoint on food and being healthy was forever changed. I HIGHLY recommend the book for everyone especially those going through the Whole30. I would have never quit the first one if I read the book.

I am one of the lucky ones with their significant other participating as well. He has high blood pressure and we are both overweight so we should both see changes after the Whole30. Poor thing is having his wisdom teeth pulled tomorrow but I'm hoping for a fast recovery.

I also do crossfit in the morning so I am trying to find a way to eat before and after my workouts but haven't come out with a good system yet.

Anyways...hi!

Good morning February 3rd-ers! I felt very foggy all day yesterday could not get the brain fog to leave my head. Last night I had bad leg cramps. Is anybody else having trouble with these? I usually don't get them, although my sister brother and mother have them all the time. I ate a banana during the day, which usually helps, but it didn't help at all last night. Anyone have any ideas for other possible cures?

Hey everybody!  I am a February 3rder as well, and so far, so good!  (Minus a turkey lunchmeat incident that will not be repeated...)  I'm doing this with a local friend of mine, and she and I sat down to write down a menu last night so that we can have a 'cooking party' this weekend and be better prepared for lunches and dinners next week!  This week I've been cooking daily, which hasn't posed much of a problem as I'm in the Northeast and had 2 snow days...

@KAE8866: I saw on a different post that when someone was going out for drinks, she had the bartenders fix her a 'mocktail' with seltzer and limes or other fruit so it looked like a snazzy cocktail.  I'm sure you could add a splash of fruit juice as well - then at least get the feeling of social drinking without actually falling off the wagon.

So far my biggest issue has been sugar cravings... I was fairly healthy pre-whole30, but even though I don't have a sweet tooth I ate fair amount of carbs, and my body is certainly rebelling.  On the whole though, it's been an easier first week than I was anticipating.  Getting a new cookbook and getting excited to try new recipes definitely helped!  I'm super tired at the moment, which according to the timeline is not unreasonable.. anybody have any tricks for combating this?  I diligently avoided caffeine yesterday afternoon, though I was desperate for a 3pm coffee pick-me-up and ended up falling asleep on the couch for an hour after work!

I'm super tired at the moment, which according to the timeline is not unreasonable.. anybody have any tricks for combating this?  I diligently avoided caffeine yesterday afternoon, though I was desperate for a 3pm coffee pick-me-up and ended up falling asleep on the couch for an hour after work!

I feel you on the fatigue. I wasn't as tired this morning as yesterday, but even so it was very hard to pull myself out of bed and get ready this morning. I've been cutting down my caffeine, too, but I had to have a little yesterday. Today instead I had hot water with lemon. I'm not sure if its just psychological, but it has really perked me up this morning. It also has helped to clean me out a little as I've been feeling a little bloated and stopped up the last few days. A bit of fruit has also helped me to fight of the drowsiness.  

Good morning!  I had a good day 4 yesterday.  My energy was super-low in the morning, but after I ate lunch I was ok.  Overall a good day.  I haven't had the muscle cramps that some of you are having. 

Last night I had dreams that I was at a buffet with all kinds of weird food!  Lol!  There were 2 separate lines -- one for regular food, and one for dessert.  I don't even go to buffets, they gross me out. 

Did anyone sign up for the daily emails?  I didn't, but then yesterday I thought I would.  However, I was reading about it, and they say that you can't sign up after you've already started.  :(   I was reading in the Feb 1st thread, and it sounds like one of the emails had a breakfast recipe that sounded delicious. 

Hope everyone has a great day 5! 

I also re-joined on February 3 for a second Whole 30 and then promptly got a cold.  My last one was last September and with the holidays and travel, I really went off-road so it is time to re-establish the habits.    I have been compliant with the exception of cold medicine with sugar type ingredients and some grass-fed butter on sweet potatoes which just made me feel better, doggone it.  So I am guessing that I am really starting today, Feb 7.  But I will hang in there with this group if that is okay. 

And if you can sign up for the Daily Reminders, they are really helpful.  I am reviewing mine from last time.

It is all good!

Good morning February 3rd-ers! I felt very foggy all day yesterday could not get the brain fog to leave my head. Last night I had bad leg cramps. Is anybody else having trouble with these? I usually don't get them, although my sister brother and mother have them all the time. I ate a banana during the day, which usually helps, but it didn't help at all last night. Anyone have any ideas for other possible cures?

when I get foggy, I need more fat and really good protien so I created a lox and bagels dish WITHOUT the bagels and cream cheese.  I put a big bunch of greens on a plate, add some canned salmon (or smoked if you can find it without sugar), add sliced red onions, capers, avocado and then squeeze a lemon over it and then add olive oil.  I always feel so satisfied with this meal and my foggyness almost immediately goes away.

Archived