Another February 3rder

springbound

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 9 here we go... 

For the most part I've found this really easy.  I do have some serious bloating but I guess you are to expect that.  Sleeping so sound these days already when normally i'd wake up 2 or 3 times a night to check the clock, go to the bathroom... 

I had some serious cravings yesterday but soldiered through them, (wanted Pizza, wings and beer).  I found out yesterday that by not eating protein in the morning I had a super crash just before lunch time.  

Hope everyone enjoys their day 9.

Welcome day 9.  :)

According to the timeline, days 9-10 are when people are most likely to quit.  But, not us February 3rders, right?  I will say that yesterday was tough.  Not really that I wanted to cheat, but I was Just.So.Over.It.  It's really the work and prep and clean up and then more prep and more clean up.  I swear, I haven't washed this many dishes in years!  This cold I am fighting isn't doing me any favors I'm sure, but still. 

Anyway, today is a new day and I actually feel a little better about things today, so hoping that holds up!  Made spicy tuna cakes last night from nom nom paleo and they were quite tasty.  Brought the leftovers for lunch today.

I'm not noticing a lot of benefits yet, but I do think I've been sleeping more soundly of late.  I used to sleep like a champion and then was diagnosed with breast cancer back in 2012 and after surgeries, chemo and tamoxifen, my sleep as never been the same.  But, at least the last couple of nights, it has seemed better.  I'm still waking up, but maybe only once or twice instead of five and six times and I'm able to drop back off to sleep more easily.  Hoping this is the beginning of a real change.

How's everyone else holding up?  We can do this!

NJ2FL2CA,

Thanks for the tip about getting them to skip me to the proper day!  I'll email them now! 

I'm sleeping really sound as well.  I used to wake up 2-3 times a night but now I'm making it all night without waking up which feels so delicious when I get up in the mornings.  Yesterday I had 2 tuna cakes with a salad and avocado for lunch and I was in really bad shape by the time I left work - snacked on a few almonds at my desk to make it through but it was tough not to open the fridge and just start eating when I got home.  I'm guessing there just wasn't quite enough protein in the tuna cakes??  I've brought a little extra for today. 

I think my slacks are a little looser but it could be the power of positive thinking.....

Good luck everybody!  We can do this!  We are almost 1/3 of the way there!!!!  :)

Day 9!

I have a dilemma and I need a 3rd party opinion.  The weekend of February 28 is Mardi Gras in my city, which includes parades and lots of other fun activities that I participate in.  It is also day 28.  Do I not partake in the festivities?  I am planning on continuing this during lent (and beyond), do I just put the "no alcohol" rule on hold for the weekend and start back on Monday or is it really worth busting up my first "whole 30".

I know that I could have fun during the parades/parties without drinking, but honestly, I don't know if I could do it.  

Thoughts?

Day 9!

I have a dilemma and I need a 3rd party opinion.  The weekend of February 28 is Mardi Gras in my city, which includes parades and lots of other fun activities that I participate in.  It is also day 28.  Do I not partake in the festivities?  I am planning on continuing this during lent (and beyond), do I just put the "no alcohol" rule on hold for the weekend and start back on Monday or is it really worth busting up my first "whole 30".

I know that I could have fun during the parades/parties without drinking, but honestly, I don't know if I could do it.  

Thoughts?

At the end of the day, it's your call whether you do a Whole27 or full complete compliant Whole30. Is it possible for you to partake in the parties but to eat compliant and not drink?

Hello everyone,

I was hoping to join your group...I too started on February 3... Can't believe it is day nine already! And I have survived! I feel fantastic, best I have felt in a couple of years. I do find I am cooking and shopping all the time...still hard to find some ingredients that are whole 30 compliant.

It has been wonderful to see my children watching me cook and asking questions about food and openly tasting all that I cook. Little to their knowledge they ate a meal the other night that was 85% whole 30! Oh the sneaky mother I am!! I did but some butter in their mashed sweet potatoes because I still could not find ghee...found it the day after!

I love reading all the posts here, I check in every evening to stay on track and not quit! I do miss wine....a lot but not enough to quit!

Feeling so much less bloated, and pretty sure I have dropped some weight!!

My last day of the whole 30 I have to have surgery! I'm hoping it will help me to recuperate faster! This mother of three can not be down for too long!

Keep posting I love to read about all your days!

Tracy

Choices, choices, choices. From the behavioral perspective of the program (which has hit me hard) there is always a reason not to finish the whole 30. There always has to be a choice. At the end of the day, YOU have to feel good about the choices you make. You are not being impulsive, you are being thoughtful and playful, which is great. I would look into the section regarding after the 30 days to make sure you don't go too over-board and shock your body with the Mardi Gras partying. Just be safe and enjoy in what ever you decide to do!

I'm not sure if I really count on this thread anymore. I did have to go off whole 30 for a meal this weekend and so will need to extend my 30 for another week. It was my own poor planning. I packed hard boiled eggs, nuts and some carrots in my bag but still ran out and came to a point where there was still no complaint food and I was starving. Oops. 

Anyway, so today is not really day 10 for me, but my body isn't acting like its starting over from the beginning either. Reading along for the last few days my symptoms still seem to be on track with you guys rather than feeling like day 3 (which was horrible for me). So I'm ready to finish this thing out with you all with the knowledge that I'll need to keep going another week.

Yes KAE8886 - stay with us! 

I'm definitely noticing (for real) that my slacks are looser today.  They were skin tight early last week when I wore them and this week they are respectable and do not need a shirt tail out to cover the madness!  That's something to be happy about!

I am having some issues that I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing.  Last night before dinner, I felt like I had been hit by a bus - just all of a sudden - overwhelming exhaustion.  It was better after I ate but it took a while.  In fact, my husband interrupted me to tell me a truck was about to sideswipe me and it infuriated me that he interrupted me - ha!  I realize today how ridiculous that sounds but moody, anyone? 

Then this morning pre-breakfast, again the overwhelming I gotta sit down exhaustion.  Now that I've eaten and am going on with my day, I'm good but I find that weird.  So, no stomach growling type of hunger, but I'm guessing that I REALLY needed to eat.  I feel like I'm following the rules with the amounts I'm eating but I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced that? 

Thanks!  And, have a great day 10 - we are 1/3 of the way there!!! 

Janie,

I think you may need to up your portions and use more fat in your meals. If you are getting really hungry and having a hard time making it meal to meal you need bigger portions in my opinion. If you are getting tired, you need more fats and probably more sleep. Just my thoughts.

NJ2FL2CA,

I'll try to up my fat portion - I've been having around 1/2 cup of coconut milk at breakfast, 1/2 avocado at lunch, a portion of coconut butter at dinner (roughly thumb sized).  I'll try upping it and see if that helps.  I wondered if it was that transition of my body using fat for energy but I'm not sure.  And, I'm sure I need more sleep.  I've been getting right at 7 hours but I feel best between 8-9.  I have to fight my night owl urges! 

Thanks for the pep talk! 

Hi all!  I am a fellow February 3rder, but a bit late to the party!  Can I join you?

So far, so good!  Although I must admit I don't feel any OMG differences, and I'm becoming skeptical that I will.  I guess that's a good thing... I didn't have any major issues (GI, skin, etc) before hand, and I certainly would never wish for a food allergy... but I guess I was just expecting to feel something.  I know, I know, give it time! 

Anyways, so far I haven't eaten out at all -- it just seems pretty much impossible to eat out and stay compliant!  I love cooking, and I've been keeping my food fun!  I do worry that maybe I'm eating too much, definitely more than I am used to, but hopefully the elimination of snacking, dessert and most of all booze and the poor food decisions that come along with booze, will more than cancel out for my larger portions!

Anyways, glad to have some fellow Feb3rders to talk to!

Day 11, it's great to read about people having similar feelings as what I've felt, from the cravings hitting around day 9-10, to the feeling tired between meals, and the urge to snack. At times I feel like I'm eating too much, mostly due to the amount of veggies.

As much as all those things may make it seem like this isn't going well, it's actually going great. I've started trying to sleep on my back, and while the first couple nights were tough, it's getting easier and easier. The quality of sleep seems to be improving as well. Energy levels have seemed to stabilize the last couple days, though I have noticed that on one or two nights I found that I was wide awake after only getting 6 hours of sleep.

Keep it up guys and gals, it's great to read everyone else's experiences!

Hi all!  I am a fellow February 3rder, but a bit late to the party!  Can I join you?

So far, so good!  Although I must admit I don't feel any OMG differences, and I'm becoming skeptical that I will.  I guess that's a good thing... I didn't have any major issues (GI, skin, etc) before hand, and I certainly would never wish for a food allergy... but I guess I was just expecting to feel something.  I know, I know, give it time! 

Anyways, so far I haven't eaten out at all -- it just seems pretty much impossible to eat out and stay compliant!  I love cooking, and I've been keeping my food fun!  I do worry that maybe I'm eating too much, definitely more than I am used to, but hopefully the elimination of snacking, dessert and most of all booze and the poor food decisions that come along with booze, will more than cancel out for my larger portions!

Anyways, glad to have some fellow Feb3rders to talk to!

Welcome!  I could have pretty much written your entire post!!!

Aw, thanks for keeping me here you guys! 

I've been struggling with the snacking thing too. I've said before that for as long as I can remember I've eaten about 5 times a day with small meals. My main meals were more like snacks as were the snacks. I never thought about it very hard, I just ate when I was hungry and ate proportionately to how hungry I was and what activity I expected in the next couple of hours. 

Portion control has therefore been hard for me. I feel like I am over eating at breakfast and lunch particularly and I think that might be part of what has been upsetting my stomach lately. Sometimes I still get too hungry to make it home or make it to the next meal so I grab a handful of nuts or an egg to hold me over. I say sometimes, I usually still have at least, one "hold over" meal a day. 

Ive been sleeping well, but find it very very hard to wake up in the morning. And woe to me if I doze off again. If that happened it used to only be for a couple minutes until I woke myself back up and got out of bed, but now a whole hour and a half will disappear! Has anyone else had a hard time waking up? I'm pretty sure I could sleep an entire day if I didn't have a place to be. 

I feel like I am eating too much too.  Pre-whole 30, I was not a breakfast kind of girl.  It is still really hard to make myself eat in the morning.  I have noticed that my afternoon munchies have stopped since eating breakfast, so that is a good thing.

What about bullet proof coffee? Does that take the place of your fat for breakfast?

Whoohoo, day 11!!!  Still going strong!

Day 9!

Thoughts?

If you were making a special trip there, I'd feel differently, but since you live there... Mardi Gras comes every year... don't let all your hard work go for a couple of days of drinking!  I say partake, but stay compliant!  And yes, I've been and know how hard that will be (I love your city's food and drink more than just about any other!) but you can do it!

Yes KAE8886 - stay with us! 

I'm definitely noticing (for real) that my slacks are looser today.  They were skin tight early last week when I wore them and this week they are respectable and do not need a shirt tail out to cover the madness!  That's something to be happy about!

I am having some issues that I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing.  Last night before dinner, I felt like I had been hit by a bus - just all of a sudden - overwhelming exhaustion.  It was better after I ate but it took a while.  In fact, my husband interrupted me to tell me a truck was about to sideswipe me and it infuriated me that he interrupted me - ha!  I realize today how ridiculous that sounds but moody, anyone? 

Then this morning pre-breakfast, again the overwhelming I gotta sit down exhaustion.  Now that I've eaten and am going on with my day, I'm good but I find that weird.  So, no stomach growling type of hunger, but I'm guessing that I REALLY needed to eat.  I feel like I'm following the rules with the amounts I'm eating but I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced that? 

Thanks!  And, have a great day 10 - we are 1/3 of the way there!!! 

I've been experiencing something similar... not quite exhaustion, but like I'm out of breath really easy when exercising and even walking up stairs!  It's kind of been freaking me out.  I've been wondering whether maybe I have a bit of a bug... it does seem that everyone around me is sick.  For me it's definitely not too little fat... this is way more fat than I generally eat (although the healthy kind!)

We have a snow day here, so I just got up and made myself a giant orange coconut omelet!  Sounds weird, I know but, but it was delicious.  This sounds super weird, but I think the thing I'm missing more than anything else (cheese, chocolate, beer!) is sweetener in my coffee!  I plan to do a full ten day reintro period, but I can tell you right now... on day 31 I will be making this!

https://deliciouslyorganic.net/homemade-dairy-free-sugar-free-coffee-creamer-recipe/

I'm still truckin' also! I agree that I don't feel any major differences. Maybe I'm sleeping better, but that could be because my kids haven't been sneaking into my bed in the middle of the night lately. My back has REALLY been hurting though.

I miss my coffee sooooooooooo much. And I want some cheesecake. Is my cheesecake craving supposed to go away? I have a gift card to the Cheesecake Factory calling my name. Can you tell I love cheesecake?

One thing that has been absolutely invaluable to me is the "Well Fed" cookbook. I got it from the library, and it's due back now. I think I might have to go buy it.

As far as snacking, I've been eating some nuts and a piece of fruit between lunch and dinner. I usually eat lunch around noon, and I can't eat dinner until around 7, and I just can't go that long without eating.

Hope everyone has a great day!

I'm still truckin' also! I agree that I don't feel any major differences. Maybe I'm sleeping better, but that could be because my kids haven't been sneaking into my bed in the middle of the night lately. My back has REALLY been hurting though.

I miss my coffee sooooooooooo much. And I want some cheesecake. Is my cheesecake craving supposed to go away? I have a gift card to the Cheesecake Factory calling my name. Can you tell I love cheesecake?

One thing that has been absolutely invaluable to me is the "Well Fed" cookbook. I got it from the library, and it's due back now. I think I might have to go buy it.

As far as snacking, I've been eating some nuts and a piece of fruit between lunch and dinner. I usually eat lunch around noon, and I can't eat dinner until around 7, and I just can't go that long without eating.

Hope everyone has a great day!

If you have that much time between lunch and dinner and you're genuinely hungry in between, the recommendation is to have a mini-meal that contains a protein and fat. Save fruit to enjoy with or immediately after your meals. Nuts are a fat source on a Whole30.

Hmm....what could I eat for protein? I'm usually on the go, in my car when I eat my snacks. And I'm somewhat of a picky eater. The only portable protein I can think of is hard boiled eggs, and I have an **extreme** aversion to them. Oh and jerky, which I also won't eat.

Archived