Another February 3rder

springbound

Hmm....what could I eat for protein? I'm usually on the go, in my car when I eat my snacks. And I'm somewhat of a picky eater. The only portable protein I can think of is hard boiled eggs, and I have an **extreme** aversion to them. Oh and jerky, which I also won't eat.

Pack a small insulated cooler bag with things like cooked chicken, tuna, chicken or salmon salad made with homemade mayo, compliant prosciutto, sardines, compliant smoked salmon, or leftover frittata for protein. 

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pack a small insulated cooler bag with things like cooked chicken, tuna, chicken or salmon salad made with homemade mayo, compliant prosciutto, sardines, compliant smoked salmon, or leftover frittata for protein.

Why didn't I think of a cooler bag?! Good idea. Thanks!

Hello everybody and welcome to the new folks!  I'm really liking our group!  I added a litte more healthy fat to my meals yesterday and today and I've felt a lot better (no overwhelming exhaustion).  I looked up the bulletproof coffee and the ghee in it sounds gross to me.  Ghee is wonderful - don't get me wrong, just not in my coffee.  I like the idea of having something creamy in my coffee so I've been using Native Forest unsweetened coconut milk.  It gets thick in the fridge but I just scoop out a dollop and add a dash of cinnamon and it's really delicious.   I do count that fat as my portion with breakfast.  The Whole30 supplement said a serving was 7 oz which is half a can.  I have about 1/2 of that so I supplement my breakfast accordingly.  This weekend we're heading to my son's indoor drumline competition south of Nashville and I will have to eat breakfast and lunch out so I'm trying to research the best places to eat to remain compliant.  I'm nervous about it though.....just hope I don't get derailed!  I may pack some compliant options in a cooler in case we can't find an appropriate place but I have to be able to navigate a restaurant at some point.  How are you guys doing with that?  Any tips? 

I may pack some compliant options in a cooler in case we can't find an appropriate place but I have to be able to navigate a restaurant at some point.  How are you guys doing with that?  Any tips? 

I hear you. I got derailed last weekend. This is what worked, and this is what I would do better if I could go back in time:

If you can establish a restaurant before hand it really did help me to look ahead at the menu and assure myself I could at least put something on my plate in front of other people. Also calling ahead, as another member pointed out, also works. The restaurant can often times put something together for you. 

What I would do differently: Overpack the food you think you might need. Hard boiled eggs, nuts, sweet potatoes are fantastically portable and they really saved me right up until the point I ran out. You can find other fresh veggies and fruits and stuff everywhere, but those will make sure that you are never left feeling hungry and tempted. 

The other thing I would do differently is give an ok to snacking for the weekend. I'm sure there are plenty of reasons why this is not ok, but hear me out. I find it easier to resist temptation when I'm not hungry. Last weekend it was much easier to order a salad at a pizza place because I had had a handful of nuts just before. The smells were less overwhelming and I managed not to drool too badly over my teammates cheesy slices. 

I know this may sound extreme, but also keep in mind that in an absolute emergency, there is always the option to not eat. Better to fast for a while until you can get something healthy than to potentially undue the great progress you've made. I learned a valuable lesson during a time I was overcoming addiction. The mind will generate all kinds of perfectly good reasons why it should get what it's craving. It's up to you and your Will power to discipline the mind and tell it no.

Callen, that is helpful. I'm also nervous because we are taking tithe kids to an indoor water park for a couple of nights. Next week. Not eating dooesnt work for me so I gotta plan ahead. I'm still worried though. I could use all of the tips that people have.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be lost too if I didn't plan ahead, but sometimes when your hit with a surprise, it just comes down to being strong and committed to yourself , and saying "I'd rather go hungry than give in" really, if your someplace that has access to food , chances are you can find something healthy. Most of the gas stations around here sell small packs of cashews. Or just throw a couple zip lock baggies of nuts in your cars glove box for emergencies, just be sure to resupply whenever you use them

I'd also seen mentioned on this forum somewhere about Larabars, so I looked for those.  One of my local grocery stores had it in their "health food" section. 

http://www.larabar.com/products/larabar

In looking at the various bars, some looked like they weren't compliant, but a few did appear to be compliant.  I bought 3 of them to have in case of "emergency".  So far I haven't needed to eat one, but I do have them.

Hello everybody and welcome to the new folks!  I'm really liking our group!  I added a litte more healthy fat to my meals yesterday and today and I've felt a lot better (no overwhelming exhaustion).  I looked up the bulletproof coffee and the ghee in it sounds gross to me.  Ghee is wonderful - don't get me wrong, just not in my coffee.  I like the idea of having something creamy in my coffee so I've been using Native Forest unsweetened coconut milk.  It gets thick in the fridge but I just scoop out a dollop and add a dash of cinnamon and it's really delicious.   I do count that fat as my portion with breakfast.  The Whole30 supplement said a serving was 7 oz which is half a can.  I have about 1/2 of that so I supplement my breakfast accordingly.  This weekend we're heading to my son's indoor drumline competition south of Nashville and I will have to eat breakfast and lunch out so I'm trying to research the best places to eat to remain compliant.  I'm nervous about it though.....just hope I don't get derailed!  I may pack some compliant options in a cooler in case we can't find an appropriate place but I have to be able to navigate a restaurant at some point.  How are you guys doing with that?  Any tips? 

Steak and vegetables (usually made on the grill without butter or oil). Applebees has a steak with shrimp and tomatoes thats really good.

Happy Valentine's Day!! Anyone going out tonight or cooking up something special? I usually get an king-size almond joy and a box of chocolates today. I'm not sad about the box of chocolates but a little sad I won't have my almond joy. Ah well. I bet dinner will be nice. My boyfriend is cooking. What is everyone else doing?

NJ2FL2CA,

I'll try to up my fat portion - I've been having around 1/2 cup of coconut milk at breakfast, 1/2 avocado at lunch, a portion of coconut butter at dinner (roughly thumb sized).  I'll try upping it and see if that helps.  I wondered if it was that transition of my body using fat for energy but I'm not sure.  And, I'm sure I need more sleep.  I've been getting right at 7 hours but I feel best between 8-9.  I have to fight my night owl urges! 

Thanks for the pep talk! 

How is your carb intake? Are you eating starchy vegetables?

I've been experiencing something similar... not quite exhaustion, but like I'm out of breath really easy when exercising and even walking up stairs!  It's kind of been freaking me out.  I've been wondering whether maybe I have a bit of a bug... it does seem that everyone around me is sick.  For me it's definitely not too little fat... this is way more fat than I generally eat (although the healthy kind!)

It's pretty normal to feel like you are bonking on your workouts the first couple of weeks. Your body is learning to use fat for its primary fuel instead of carbs. 

I've been having either a sweet potato or butternut squash with dinner most nights. Maybe I need to have a little with breakfast too?

You could try just doing it one meal a day every day. I posted that before I read that you felt better with increased fat portions so maybe that was the issue. 

Good morning everyone! I've been off the post for week because I've been traveling. So I have some comments on the traveling and what to eat while traveling questions. I spent a lot of time the weekend before I had to travel for work, making food that I thought would work. I made Michelle Tam's Liar bars from the NomNomPaleo cookbook, I made hard-boiled eggs, and then made deviled eggs out of them. I made the meat muffins from Well Fed and froze a couple which I then brought along in an insulated container so they lasted until day too. I was in New York City, so one of the things I did was I went to Pret a Manger, which bills itself as a healthy lunch and dinner place. They did have a salad that was chicken avocado lettuce walnuts and also had some dried cranberries in it which was the closest I could find anything I could eat. I pulled out the dried cranberries. The best dressing I could find was a mustard vinaigrette which had canola oil, so not a perfect choice but at least better than any of the others and had no sugar in it. I also had made up some trail mix with pecans, almonds, and freeze-dried raspberries and blueberries to try to get some fats in.

My trip was cut short by the snowstorm hitting the east coast, so I came home today earlier than expected. I managed to stay compliant, except that getting enough fat was very difficult, and I felt like a truck hit me by the end. The next morning I could not get out of bed. I also found my stomach was very upset by the end of the trip. Maybe it was the canola oil?

I have found that I am sleeping much better, which is wonderful! I also have found that the skin rashes and eczema on my face have cleared up. But the itch on my face seems to have transferred to my legs, and I feel very itchy all over. Anyone else have this problem ?

This weekend we're heading to my son's indoor drumline competition south of Nashville and I will have to eat breakfast and lunch out so I'm trying to research the best places to eat to remain compliant.  I'm nervous about it though.....just hope I don't get derailed!  I may pack some compliant options in a cooler in case we can't find an appropriate place but I have to be able to navigate a restaurant at some point.  How are you guys doing with that?  Any tips?

I find for breakfast and even lunch at a restaurant, the easiest thing to order is poached eggs. That way I can be sure that they are real eggs, not eggbeaters or some other egg simulation that they used to make omelettes. Also that way you can be sure that it's not cooked in canola oil or any other kind of oil or butter or something else that you can't have. I usually do have a little bit of fruit along with that breakfast because it's hard to find anything else that I can eat and I figured that the protein in the fat in the eggs balance out the fruit. I try to focus on berries --aybe raspberries and blueberries --rather than banana, orange, or melon.

How did everyone do on V-Day yesterday? I think my husband is trying to sabotage me. I'm so freakin mad. I told him that I'm super-strict about what I can eat. So we planned on having steak, mashed cauliflower, and grilled butternut squash (both veggie recipes from Well Fed and Well Fed 2). I even mentioned to him a few days ago that I can't eat my favorite spice blend because it contains MSG. And I threw out our garlic salt because it had hydrogenated oils in it.

So what does he do? Without asking me or reading the ingredients, he put his favorite steak spice on both of our steaks. It has partially hydrogenated soybean oil in it. He also used Pam spray on the grill (contains soy lecithin). So I washed off the steak....it was already 8:30, and I was starving and didn't have any other protein options available. I'm hoping the Pam burned off the grill. Maybe that's wishful thinking.

Anyhow, I'm not going to restart my 30 days because of this. Ugh. Hope everyone else had a better Valentine's Day.

I really wanted to cheat on my Whole30 yesterday.  We arrived at the restaurant for Valentine's Day dinner and I really just wanted to share a bottle of wine with my husband and maybe a small piece of chocolate.  I was thinking, "I'm not seeing a big difference, I don't feel like I have food allergies, what would one small paleo cheat do, it's a special occasion."  But I didn't!  Thanks to my own stubbornness, a few bets with coworkers and the husband's support.  I don't think he would have let me cheat, mostly because he knows he would have to hear about it later!

Anyways, it was also my first experience eating out since I started.  I was nervous, because I hate being "that girl" who asks a million questions, especially when I don't have an allergy.  But I did it, and they were oh so accommodating (we went to Fogo de Chao - I expect they get a lot of paleo and gluten-free folk just because they market to it so well).  Anyways, I left feeling proud that I had done more than my due diligence (I even had the server walk me through the salad bar!) and despite eating about a pound of meat, I did not feel that gross "I never want to eat again" food hangover I often get with carbs and sweets.  Oh, and I woke up this morning not feeling bloated or that I'd undone all of my progress!  So I'll call is a success.

I hope my fellow Feb. 3rders had a great Valentine's day!

I also survived Valentine's Day.  We just ate at home though, so it was pretty easy to stay compliant.  I was really tempted to have a chocolate bar in the afternoon at work, but I managed to stay strong.  Today was probably one of my best days so far.  My meals really satisfied me and I did not feel any desire to cheat on anything.  My cold is still lingering and that's been dragging me down.  But, I'm hoping that it is on its way out and that once I'm over that I can finally start feeling some of the positive effects.

My husband (who is doing Whole 30 with me) ran 8 miles this morning and he said he felt great.  He also said that normally he would have been really hungry all day and snacked, but the meals we made kept him satisfied.  

Keep it up, February 3rders!!

Are others experiencing "boundless energy"?  I most certainly am not.  In fact, I've still been exhausted and weak/short of breath during workouts.  I'm quite sure I'm eating enough carbs and fats... having a good portion of each in every meal.  Hope this improve soon!

Are others experiencing "boundless energy"?  I most certainly am not.  In fact, I've still been exhausted and weak/short of breath during workouts.  I'm quite sure I'm eating enough carbs and fats... having a good portion of each in every meal.  Hope this improve soon!

Ive been feeling pretty amped up lately. I wouldn't say its tiger blood status, but I am usually a pretty down person with long periods of lethargy in the afternoon. I feel more like a normal, alert human now. I have still had some intestinal distress though and even when I've felt ok, I have felt abdominal pressure like I'm bloated or backed up. Hoping THAT goes away soon. 

Archived