Another February 3rder

springbound

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also a February 3rd person here. So far so good. Cravings were bad the first 3 days but they are better now. I'm starting to adapt to black coffee although it still isn't as satisfying as my old coffee with sugar and half n half. :(. I tried the bulletproof coffee but still not the same. I decided I would just stick with black and hope I acquire the taste.

I downloaded the nom nom paleo app to get recipes. We've been planning out our menu for the entire week and then doing our shopping. We went ahead and went to the store tonight to stock up for next week. I think trying new recipes will help me keep the cravings at bay. But it sure feels like a lot of work right now. Never realized how easy it was to eat junk.

Some items on the menu this week include, big o bacon burgers, pork tactic meatloaf, spicy tuna cakes (assuming I can find compliant tuna) and spaghetti squash with meat and cherry tomatoes.

I've discovered I actually like sweet potatoes. Who knew? I'm going to attempt kale chips tomorrow. Hubby is not excited about that, but I think they sound delicious.

Hello all - I also started on the 3rd. I've been keeping a log on my own thread and just saw this group. No big, the log is really for me so I can be more accountable. 

I've been sick since basically day 2, which has made it difficult to assess how I'm really feeling - like if I feel tired in the afternoon, is it a sugar thing or is it just because I have a cold? In any event, I've been taking it much more easy than I usually do (less exercise, more sleep) and I think that's been helping with the usual W30 side effects. I always forget how much stress (physiological and psychological) affects how I feel overall!

@Kae you mention that some of your old team mates are now crossfitters; have you thought of giving it a try too? I started crossfit about 6 months ago, and it's been the most amazing experience. The group / team atmosphere, the hard work / drive / motivation / support from everyone around you, and the complete butt kicking workouts really blow away any past fitness program or experience if ever tried.

Day 7, a few people have mentioned brain fog, and this has been the one major side effect that's I've experienced all week as well. It's like this hazy feeling just floating in the front half of my brain. What's odd is that it is rarely accompanied by a lack of energy. Quite the opposite, I feel like the energy levels have been pretty solid, and I even PR'd a back squat at the gym ( though not as big a jump as I'd been hoping for the past few weeks). Even from a mental sharpness point if view, the fog does not seem to have a major pact, it really seems to be a 90% purely physical sensation. Anyone else experience this sort of thing?

I don't know.... I taught Zumba Thursday night and my brain was a hot mess. In the middle of songs that I do every week, I would completely miscount or blank out.

Also earlier in the week I signed paperwork with my maiden name - and I've been married for over 12 years! Lol!

Actually for me it feels more like a wandering foggy mind. I get in modes where I can't hold the same thought for more than a brief second.

What are you all eating for breakfast? I am very sick of my egg cups.

If you're sick of eggs, there are countless non-egg options for your 1st meal of the day.

Here are some past threads with ideas:

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/8697-help-other-breakfast-ideas-non-eggs/

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/6774-non-egg-breakfast/

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/1834-breakfast-ideas-without-eggs/

I love eggs, and have been eating them one way or another for breakfast for the past 6 months. Since starting the challenge I've been having 4 eggs with spinach peppers and onions, half an avocado or whole 30 complaint guacamole, and sometimes some blueberries, raspberries or banana, and black coffee.

I went to a birthday party last night armed with Bacon-Wrapped Dates as my go-to snacks. I already had a few while "checking them" as I cooked so I didn't even need to eat anymore. They were scrumptious. I took the recipe from the Whole30 Daily email from Day 5. They were a hit! Then when I got there I saw they were making carne asada tacos and had homemade guacamole. I ate some carne asada and huac to show them the Whole30 is doable! Ok mostly it was because carne and guac is awesome!!

I'm still trucking along also! The fatigue seems to have passed, but my back has been killing me. I'm prone to back pain anyhow, but I think it's from standing in the kitchen cooking so much. Despite that, I made a big pot of chocolate chili from "Well Fed" today, as well as some spaghetti squash. I'm going to make my favorite Olive Garden dish, Cappellini Pomodoro, W30 compliant.

I have a confession. I haven't stayed off the scale. I normally weigh myself daily, but I don't obsess over the scale or let it dictate how I feel about myself. So I decided to break that W30 rule and continue to weigh myself daily. And so far, I'm amazed with the results!! I've lost 3.7 pounds in one week. This is really, truly amazing. I have Hashimito's, so normally I lose weight at a rate of 1/2 pound per week. So clearly W30 is working, and I've eliminated something that I have a problem with.

My sugar cravings aren't too bad, even though I'm a sugar addict. I think it's getting better. But I still can't wait to go to the Cheesecake Factory after the 30 days is over.

I'm still trucking along also! The fatigue seems to have passed, but my back has been killing me. I'm prone to back pain anyhow, but I think it's from standing in the kitchen cooking so much. Despite that, I made a big pot of chocolate chili from "Well Fed" today, as well as some spaghetti squash. I'm going to make my favorite Olive Garden dish, Cappellini Pomodoro, W30 compliant.

I have a confession. I haven't stayed off the scale. I normally weigh myself daily, but I don't obsess over the scale or let it dictate how I feel about myself. So I decided to break that W30 rule and continue to weigh myself daily. And so far, I'm amazed with the results!! I've lost 3.7 pounds in one week. This is really, truly amazing. I have Hashimito's, so normally I lose weight at a rate of 1/2 pound per week. So clearly W30 is working, and I've eliminated something that I have a problem with.

My sugar cravings aren't too bad, even though I'm a sugar addict. I think it's getting better. But I still can't wait to go to the Cheesecake Factory after the 30 days is over.

Please please please hide the scale. Let the focus for your remaining days be on how you're feeling, vs. 3 digits on a scale. 

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! It really helped. I need make ahead options as well and found some that work for me.

I can't believe I made it through week one! The joke in my house is that my diet always starts on Monday (and rarely lasts past Wednesday). Now I'm coasting into a second Monday! Keep it up!

Day 8, this morning I definitely feel more energized. I've been trying to sleep on my back the past two nights, and it's very awkward, for me at least. I'm typically a stomach sleeper. I've been able to fall asleep at least, but usually end up rolling over part way through the night. Hopefully I eventually just stay on my back.

Tried bulletproof coffee (coffee with coconut oil (93%mct) and ghee emulsified with an immersion blender) for the first time yesterday and again this morning. Amazing! And this morning , as I said earlier, my energy is rocking, and the brain fog feeling seems to be lifted.

Day 8!  This weekend was tough.  I survived and didn't cave.

I have enjoyed all the cooking this week, but it has been busy.

How do you all handle being the only one (in a house of five) on the whole 30?  I cook pretty clean and don't have alot of junk around, but I do have certain things that the kids want for their lunches.

Thanks!

I'm the only one doing it in a family of 4 too. I just do it. I am making the choice to do it. They have to deal with it at dinner time. Last night they had pasta with homemade compliant meat sauce with spaghetti squash on the side. I had my sauce over the spaghetti squash. They haven't seemed to notice too much except for the wider variety of veggies. Temptation is all around and I'm generally weak but I've just decided not to be. The time spent cooking is getting taxing with the kids schedules but I'm investing that time in my health. Let's hope I can keep that perspective! Lol

You can do this! The support of this group helps. Keeps us motivated to stay accountable to ourselves!

We are also just making the kids adjust.  It's both my husband and me, so that helps.  We still have some junk in the house for the kids and thankfully that hasn't represented too much of a temptation for us.  They have mostly liked everything we cooked...until last night.  One of my girls was not happy with the porktastic meatloaf we made.  The other two kids liked it okay.  We ended up making her eat at least some of it and then gave her a left over pork chop.  But, they had sandwiches for lunch yesterday with chips.  Not as healthy as it should be, but it was a lot easier than cooking up pork chops and making salad for everyone. 

One of my girls said we were eating dinner for lunch.   :)

Welcome to day 8, folks!!  Let's keep it up!!!!

I also started Feb. 3rd and would like to hop on this thread since it's more active.  I've already noticed some changes and reading through your posts makes me realize this is fairly typical.  I've really struggled to not get on the scale since I was a daily weigher but so far I haven't caved.  I'm the only one in the house doing this as well and it seems like my husband craves sugar more when I'm dieting.  He has made cookies twice this week.  (sigh)  At least he is doing Burst Fit with me!  I was exhausted Day 3 or 4 - needed to be pried out of bed that morning.  I've also been sleeping heavier and not waking up every few hours which has been a godsend and probably my favorite change.  This weekend was a challenge because I tend to snack and also rather enjoy a glass or 2 of wine.  I spent most of my weekend doing food prep and really made some amazing dishes.  If you haven't bought WellFed - do it - everything I've tried so far has been phenomenal!  I took the time to make some of her sauces and spice mixes to make it easier to pull meals together.  Also Nom Nom Paleo's Michelle Tam has a fantastic website and all of her recipes have been great too.  Michelle fondly reminds me of my best friend from Hawaii when my husband and I were stationed there 20 years ago.  I want to get her cookbook too but just haven't done it yet.  Maybe that should be my week 2 completion treat!   I also had a dream Friday night that I snacked on solid chunks of brown sugar?  And, when I told my husband about the dream he said "yeah - you actually did that!"  And, THEN I woke up - hmmmm dream within a dream - that one is new and brown sugar???  Never would I do that even off the Whole30 so that was pretty funny!  

We can do this guys!!!!  Have a great day 8!  Oh - one more thing - I did sign up for the daily emails a day late and I have to say I enjoy them even though they are a day off.  They have good tips and motivational videos or slides at the end that I enjoy.      

I also had a weird dream. I was walking into my high school (I'm 27 btw lol) and I was eating a egg white delight from mcdonalds but didn't eat the bread. As I was finishing it I couldn't remember if there was cheese on it! 😳 lol then a few seconds later I was scarfing down a bag of weird gummy candies. I didn't even notice I was doing it. It was like I went through time. I woke up feeling so guilty. Lol!! I thought dreams during the whole30 would never happen to me! Guess not!!

Archived