February 4 - Day 1

mamalue

Hello all,

So today is my first day on Whole30. I spent the weekend cleaning out my cupboards and fridge, and stocked up on spices from Penzey's. (The first time I really shopped for spices and it felt very luxurious. :) )

I wanted to say hi. I was a vegetarian for awhile, so transitioning is a little tough. Beans were my go-to. But I have eliminated grains, beans/legumes, tofu, dairy, sugar, and fake sugar. I also commit to refrain from paleo-fying foods (like cookies, breads). I really want to detox from all this stuff and see how I feel. Once I start eating sugar it is hard to stop - so I would love to get off of this roller coaster ride and get my blood sugar and energy levels evened out.

I have to confess that I am going to use unsweetened coconut milk and almond milk for my tea. I know it has a tiny amount of Carrageenan but there's certain allowances I need to make for my lifestyle (fulltime job, have a toddler, spouse travels a lot.) I can be such a perfectionist but I don't want to let that stop me from making huge positive changes. I understand it's important to detox from the sweets. I have a feeling I may give up the tea entirely becuase I am not using stevia.

Anyway, so that's that. Wish me luck!

:D

• Moderators

So you are going to adopt Whole30-style eating starting today. Good for you! Your health will almost certainly improve. But you can't call what you are doing a Whole30 if you don't follow the rules exactly. Tens of thousands of people have completed 30 days following the rules. If you want to be a genuine Whole30er, you have to follow the rules too. 

Hello all,

So today is my first day on Whole30. I spent the weekend cleaning out my cupboards and fridge, and stocked up on spices from Penzey's. (The first time I really shopped for spices and it felt very luxurious. :) )

I wanted to say hi. I was a vegetarian for awhile, so transitioning is a little tough. Beans were my go-to. But I have eliminated grains, beans/legumes, tofu, dairy, sugar, and fake sugar. I also commit to refrain from paleo-fying foods (like cookies, breads). I really want to detox from all this stuff and see how I feel. Once I start eating sugar it is hard to stop - so I would love to get off of this roller coaster ride and get my blood sugar and energy levels evened out.

I have to confess that I am going to use unsweetened coconut milk and almond milk for my tea. I know it has a tiny amount of Carrageenan but there's certain allowances I need to make for my lifestyle (fulltime job, have a toddler, spouse travels a lot.) I can be such a perfectionist but I don't want to let that stop me from making huge positive changes. I understand it's important to detox from the sweets. I have a feeling I may give up the tea entirely becuase I am not using stevia.

Anyway, so that's that. Wish me luck!

:D

Good Luck! Canned coconut milk doesn't have carrageenan and I think there is a boxed coconut milk that doesn't either, Aroy-D. I have also found Celestial Seasonings Bengal Spice Tea that has a sweet taste to it that might work for you. I know you are busy but another option is to make your own unsweetened almond milk. Hopefully you can find another option for your tea that is still compliant. Here is a quote from the whole30 FB page. The one food or drink you so vehemently attempt to justify keeping in your diet is probably the thing you most need to give up for 30 days. #Whole30.

So you are going to adopt Whole30-style eating starting today. Good for you! Your health will almost certainly improve. But you can't call what you are doing a Whole30 if you don't follow the rules exactly. Tens of thousands of people have completed 30 days following the rules. If you want to be a genuine Whole30er, you have to follow the rules too.

Hmmm I think I need to find a group that is more supportive. Thanks anyway.

Trader Joe's canned coconut milk is compliant... and cheap!

It's pretty watery, as it's a light coconut milk. Other compliant canned choices (confirm/read labels in your local store) are from Thai Kitchen and Whole Foods 365 brand.

Hmmm I think I need to find a group that is more supportive. Thanks anyway.

I've only been perusing the site for a few days, and just began my Whole30 yesterday, but I have found everyone here to be so supportive and encouraging. Tom was blunt, yes, but I don't think he was trying to drag you down. It's just that you'll only see the benefits of the Whole30 by following its terms exactly. Why go through all the trouble to not get any of the sweet reward?

Best of luck! 

It's pretty watery, as it's a light coconut milk. Other compliant canned choices (confirm/read labels in your local store) are from Thai Kitchen and Whole Foods 365 brand.

I don't find it too watery for my coffee, but that's probably going to depend on whether you're used to using milk or cream.  I do like that the Trader Joe's is just coconut and water (no Guar Gum)

I don't find it too watery for my coffee, but that's probably going to depend on whether you're used to using milk or cream.  I do like that the Trader Joe's is just coconut and water (no Guar Gum)

If you like it that's what matters. I think Chirs' comment is more towards you mentioning that it is pretty cheap. Figuring in the cost of them watering it down vs you it might not be as cheap compared to other brands or it might be. The two brands I buy that are 100% coconut milk are Arroy-D and Natural Value. Both have BPA Free containers as well and both are on Amazon. Just a thought if you wanted to do the price compare game. 

Archived