What Am I Doing Wrong?

SarahK

I'm on day 29 of a 60-day Whole30 challenge that I'm doing through my Crossfit Gym. I haven't had one screw up in 29 days. I should be feeling awesome. My clothes should be loser. I should have tiger blood streaming through my veins. I should have infinite energy. But I don't. Should I be concerned that something is wrong with me? Why isn't it "working" it's magic?

I get 7-9 hrs a sleep everynight and Crossfit 4-5x a week (in the evening).

A typical day of food looks like this:

Breakfast: coffee w/ coconut milk (canned), egg scramble w/ 2 eggs, turkey sausage, peppers, and onions

Lunch: sausage, burger, or chicken breast with broccoli, brussels sprouts or green beans (cooked in some sort of fat- coconut oil, ghee, etc...)

Afternoon Snack: if I'm hungry, either some olives, red pepper strips and a pickle or some toasted coconut flakes

Post-WOD: protein shake (I know- solid food, but this is the only way I can get carb & protein in my body post WOD) of 100% egg white protein powder blended w/ homemade almond milk and a banana

Dinner: something like a couple chicken thighs or a pork chop with roasted asparagus. If I'm feeling a little sluggish from my WOD, I'll add in some sweet potato to dinner for the extra carbs.

Sometimes in the evening I might have some more toasted coconut flakes or a couple dates if I'm still hungry after dinner.

Not that I'm perfect, but I feel like I've done a pretty good job at sticking to the Whole30 guidelines. Yet I haven't lost any weight (I know- the scale is only part of the story), my measurements are exactly the same, and I don't feel all that great (could go take an hour nap right now). Where's my success story? What did I do wrong?

• Moderators

Maybe you need to exercise less. Four to five CrossFit sessions per week is intense. You may not be recovering adequately from workouts.

Your post-workout meal is not helpful. Almond milk and a banana is fatty and slows your digestion, keeping the egg white protein from feeding your muscles quickly. You would be much better off eating a can of chicken or tuna packed in water as a post-workout meal and maybe some roasted sweet potato.

Along the lines of what Tom is saying it doesn't really look to me like you are eating enough to support the workouts you are doing. You might want to try upping your portions. I'm not seeing much added fat to your meals so that might be something else to look like.

I would also ask how you know that you have not lost weight or had changes in measurements.The rules of a Whole30 state: 

You are not allowed to step on the scale or take any body measurements for the duration of the program. - See more at: http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/#sthash.cAiZRwD6.dpuf

My macros breakdown to about roughly 75-100g carb, 90-100g fat, and 100-125g protein daily (about 1600-1800 cal/day), with about 50%+ coming from fat. I'll look into changing my post-WOD meal, but I have a hard time finding portable, protein/carb choices that don't require heating up (canned tuna/chicken, yes. But I don't think I can stomach cold sweet potato).

Physibeth- as far as how I know, I weighed/measured myself a day early. But I'm sure you knew that and your question was only rhetorical (as I said, not perfect- but I doubt stepping on the scale 24 hrs before I should've would really change the data) :)

I don't plan on giving up and I'm going to continue the challenge into the next 30 days (60 days total), but I really don't see myself becoming a success story.

Are you trying to stay within those calorie/macro ranges or are you just logging your food after you eat for data? We recommend not counting calories and macros as a lot of people use those numbers to make decisions about their intake vs listening to their bodies. 

What are your starting statistics? How different is Whole30 from the way you were eating before?

The lack of energy at this point in the game usually means you are not eating enough. I would try having a sweet potato (or other starchy vegetable) at least once per day and adding a little more fat to your meals and see if that helps.

Not counting or trying to hit targets- just logging random days here at there to make sure I'm getting enough fat/protein/calories like you mentioned and they all tend to follow the same trend that I posted above.

My story - I've been paleo for about a year (cooked for myself almost every meal, and when I did, it almost always followed W30 guidelines. Maybe with some grass-fed dairy here or there or some added honey in a sauce, but nothing insane. An occasional cheat meal, but no crazy binging on oreos).  Fell off the wagon in October due to a vacation which steamrolled into the holidays (several trips daily to the office candy jar, delivery pizza weekly, crap like that. Then Thanksgiving/Christmas did not help). So I thought the challenge was perfectly timed to detox my body of all that and get back on track.

I'm 5'3. Started at 165lbs with bust/waist/hips at 35/32/41. Since starting the challenge 29 days ago, no changes in anything: weight or measurements (though it would be nice if I grew taller) ;-).

It can take some experimentation to figure out how much food you need. Particulary with the starchies - I figured out that if I don't eat sweet potato (1-2) or butternut squash or similar on a DAILY basis (not just when I'm feeling sluggish at that particular moment), my energy really suffers. And I'm also 5'3" but my workout schedule is not as rigorous as yours.

Also, this:

I don't plan on giving up and I'm going to continue the challenge into the next 30 days (60 days total), but I really don't see myself becoming a success story.

Why would you be continuing if you don't see yourself becoming a success story?? How about instead, focus on the tweaks mentioned above and see if it works. Also, read this: http://whole30.com/2012/10/six-reasons-why-the-whole30-didnt-work-for-you/ Continue tweaking and don't give up. It can take time to get it right.

Thanks for the input Tray! As far as continuing, I meant continuing with the Whole30 in general.  I know this is the healthiest way to eat, so no point in not eating this way. But continue with the guidance and tweaks (like some more fat and adding in more starches) you and the others suggested, and not going completely off program (as in- "this doesn't work- I quit"). 

Guest Wheat on Trial

Thanks for posting this - I've been trolling the troubleshooting forums looking for someone who is going through the same as I am. Only on day 24 here, but with less than a week to go, I really expected some dramatic changes by now.

I started this experiment for a few reasons - to break a carb addiction that resulted in frequent binge eating problems. This - I believe - is a minor success. Cookies, pasta, and bread do not call my name anymore.

However, I still get the urges to binge - and have given in on occasion to W30 compliant food, especially these last few days. The first two weeks I had no cravings or urges and while I had more energy the first week - I've kind of leveled out. I have not stepped on the scale, but my clothes don't fit any differently. I've been trying to lose the last 10 lbs for what seems like my entire life, and it doesn't look like this is going to do the trick.

I'm wondering whether I just need more time... however, my husband - who is also doing the W30 - will probably revolt. So I may still do the reintroduction phase with him next week and then jump right back into another W30 afterwards. (He'll just be able to eat whatever he wants when he's not at home.)

I feel like I'm in the same position. I'm on Day 25 and so gosh darn tired. I have been getting between 7-8 hours of sleep each night, workout 4-5 times a week and have been very diligent in only eating the allowed foods. No tiger blood yet, no extra energy just super tired. I skipped ALL my workouts last week because I couldn't find the energy to go to the gym.
I have not weighed or measured myself during the process but I can see that I've lost weight. My friends have commented too that I seem to have lost a fair amount in three weeks.

I'm thinking maybe it is a matter of not eating enough to sustain me through the day. I'm doing this with friends and I'm already eating more than they are at most meals. I'm full at the end of each meal.

I've started eating approved nuts in between meals to just keep me moving.

Thoughts???

I feel like I'm in the same position. I'm on Day 25 and so gosh darn tired. I have been getting between 7-8 hours of sleep each night, workout 4-5 times a week and have been very diligent in only eating the allowed foods. No tiger blood yet, no extra energy just super tired. I skipped ALL my workouts last week because I couldn't find the energy to go to the gym.

I have not weighed or measured myself during the process but I can see that I've lost weight. My friends have commented too that I seem to have lost a fair amount in three weeks.

I'm thinking maybe it is a matter of not eating enough to sustain me through the day. I'm doing this with friends and I'm already eating more than they are at most meals. I'm full at the end of each meal.

I've started eating approved nuts in between meals to just keep me moving.

Thoughts???

Are you eating enough starchy vegetables and fats to support your workouts? Don't compare how much you are eating to your friends. You are your own snowflake. If you post some samples of your eating/workout schedule we can give you more specific feedback.

I love this post.

I have not lost any inches (I haven't weighed myself but pretty sure no weight loss)

I'm on Day 32.  I am sleeping amazing and haven't had a single headache!

I'm hoping that my body just hasn't healed yet and that's why I haven't lost inches yet.

What do you all think?

I love this post.

I have not lost any inches (I haven't weighed myself but pretty sure no weight loss)

I'm on Day 32.  I am sleeping amazing and haven't had a single headache!

I'm hoping that my body just hasn't healed yet and that's why I haven't lost inches yet.

What do you all think?

Have you seen these other posts responding to your questions?

- http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/16060-gaining-fat-ugh/#entry175262

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/16454-my-stomach-getsis-gianormous/#entry175266

I've been making sure to eat starchy items (sweet potatoes, squash) as part of at least 5 meals every week, sometimes more. Most days my meals are something along the lines of:

Breakfast - egg scramble with three different kinds of veggies.

Lunch - cobb salad with eggs, meat and a variety of veggies.

Dinner - pork and veggie stuffed acorn squash

Lately, I've also been eating snacks lots of nuts to keep energy levels up.

Weekly I workout between 3-5 days, usually 40 minutes of weights and then 30 minutes of cardio. During weeks 2 and 3 on the diet I didn't workout at all because I didn't have the energy. The last week I was able to hit the gym again and found my energy levels back to pre-Whole30 levels, but not much more.

Archived