Lasmith6's post whole 30 adventure

lasmith6

I started whole 30 1/1/14. I guess this is post day 4. I kept it with my whole 30 log. http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/15149-first-whole-30/

Intro ab me and my whole30:

I didn't like the idea of a whole 30 at first, but the increased food sensitivities and returning autoimmune/histamine reactions were getting horrific. I have a history of autoimmune symptoms that have never been fully understood. I have a history of poor health, anorexia, bulimia, obesity, over-eating, and female difficulties. I gained 20lbs in a month on birth control in 2012, stopped the pill and immediately got prego, gaining 40 more. Had the baby and got a high cal/high fat diet with many supplements that cause weight gain due to low milk supply (IGT). Started losing the weight slowly, losing meager supply and feeling like crap. Whole 30 and I feel better, a little lighter. 20lbs to go before I'll be in a even close to healthy rage.

I've discovered that nuts are a problem for me. I already knew I'm gluten and dairy intolerant, with legume issues. After post day 1, I found out that rice is not my friend. For a long time we've suspected grains to be an issue. 

Want to do another whole 30, but having commitment issues. 

Post day 4:

D: chicken with carrots, mashed cauli, energy salad

S: about 200 calories of chocolate. 

That was a bad decision. It wasn't even good chocolate. DH got it for me. I haven't been taking my magnesium, and that really sets off choc cravings. I have no idea why. I restarted that today. It makes me feel so much better re: my anxiety and cramping. 

Post day 5: 

B: 2 eggs scrambled in CO, coffee with coco milk

Physibeth: I want to do another Whole 30 because I felt great, and was losing weight. It wasn't the fantastic losses I've heard from others, but I was excited by it. The structure is what I  need. I fear having this freedom; I fear I will inadvertently eat things that are bad for me, or go on a restrictive diet to finish shedding weight (or both). I want to do another Whole 30 bc I think I can do it "better" this time (more to template).

I'm struggling with committing to another Whole 30 because we have some trips planned, and I really feel like the obsessiveness (above and beyond gluten, dairy, and legume free) while eating out is a problem. I have to avoid some things all the time, but worrying about oils and sugars in my food is really stressful. We don't eat out often at all, but I enjoy going out with friends sporadically. I'm also going to my in-laws for a weekend this month, and fear that it will be even more stressful. 

Post day 4:

D: chicken with carrots, mashed cauli, energy salad

S: about 200 calories of chocolate. 

That was a bad decision. It wasn't even good chocolate. DH got it for me. I haven't been taking my magnesium, and that really sets off choc cravings. I have no idea why. I restarted that today. It makes me feel so much better re: my anxiety and cramping. 

Post day 5: 

B: 2 eggs scrambled in CO, coffee with coco milk

Physibeth: I want to do another Whole 30 because I felt great, and was losing weight. It wasn't the fantastic losses I've heard from others, but I was excited by it. The structure is what I  need. I fear having this freedom; I fear I will inadvertently eat things that are bad for me, or go on a restrictive diet to finish shedding weight (or both). I want to do another Whole 30 bc I think I can do it "better" this time (more to template).

I'm struggling with committing to another Whole 30 because we have some trips planned, and I really feel like the obsessiveness (above and beyond gluten, dairy, and legume free) while eating out is a problem. I have to avoid some things all the time, but worrying about oils and sugars in my food is really stressful. We don't eat out often at all, but I enjoy going out with friends sporadically. I'm also going to my in-laws for a weekend this month, and fear that it will be even more stressful. 

Chocolate cravings are linked to lack of magnesium because dark chocolate is rich in it. Also one of the reasons why most women crave chocolate during their monthly cycle.

It sounds like what you need to do is create your own rules and then ask those of us that follow your log to hold you accountable to them. This is what I do. For me that is sticking closely to Whole30 when I'm home with a few exceptions that I made based on how my reintroductions went and how my lifestyle is. When I go out to eat I loosen the rules (again using what I learned from reintro) and try to limit that eating out to social stuff no more than 2x a week. When I'm on vacation for an extended time or have a lot of offroading I try to reign it in for 4-5 days. If it interests you/helps you these are my current rules http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/11768-physibeths-post-w30-log/page-35#entry170257 to give you a better idea of what I mean.

If after your stressful events are over you feel like you need a strict 30 days again the Whole30 will still be here for you. 

Thanks for the great feedback. I read last night and have been mulling over it. I think my post whole30 rules need to be: 

Mostly Whole30 compliant at home with exceptions of adding in once per week or less kombucha (my soda replacement). No sugars or artificial sugars at home, except honey and elderberry syrup medicinally. I think some paleotized foods will be ok (once per week or less)

Out and about no more than twice per week, must stay legume/grain/gluten/dairy free due to intolerance, BUT less obsessive about additives, esp sugar. 

I still want to test out diet coke (I know, crazy) and almond milk from the store. 

What do you think?

Post day 5  lunch: can of tuna, energy salad, ripe banana, kombucha

dinner: curry made with tons of veggies (onions, mushrooms, cabbage, ginger, tomatoes, broccoli, carrots), coco milk, and chicken with cauli rice. 

Post day 6: B: 2 eggs scrambled in CO, coffee with coco milk, handful baby carrots

L: leftover curry with cauli rice, apple

Post day 6: 

Snack (eeek!) boiled egg with carrots

D: foil packs with hamburger, carrots, and onions; green beans, roasted cabbage

I don't like snacking but I have been starving and so thirsty!! I went for a brisk 45 min walk up and down our hills in the neighborhood. Felt great.

Post day 7:

B: 2+ eggs scrambled in CO, coffee with co milk, handful steamed baby carrots

L: can tuna, energy salad, apple

This is horrid. I'm so hungry between meals. Grrrr.....unusual. 

Post day8

B: 3 eggs scrambled in co, steamed carrots w co and ciinamon, coffee w coco milk

L: out w my sweet daughter! Went to a healthy grocery that has hot bar - with ingredients listed healthy foods. I had a fantastic salad w aping greens, spinach, peppers, snap peas, onions, sproats w a little ginger dressing(some sugar; compliant otherwise), 1/2 chicken breast, veggies sauteed in olive oil, coffee w soy milk (noncompliant)

D: flax crusted fish, Dali blend veggies, romaine w homemade dressing

Ice cream made from blueberries, banana, coco milk. A reasonable portion at that-1 scoop

I really think I did ok eating out! No preservatives.

Saturday post day 9: 2 eggs scrambled in co, coffee w coco milk, steamed carrots w co,

Lunch: 2 eggs in tomato based sauce

Dinner: chicken thigh w steamed veggies

Sunday post day 10: b: 2-3 eggs scrambled in co, coffee w coco milk, steamed carrots w co, 2 slices compliant bacon

L: large salad w veggies, boiled egg, slice bacon, homemade dressing, small bowl chicken veg soup

Sunday post day 10 dinner: small hamburger with lettuce and onion. 

Monday post day 11: stomach virus and jury duty. Bc my life is....interesting.

B: coffee with coco cream

L: blended coco milk with banana and too much spinach, couldn't drink it all. My attempt at not being hungry in court.

D: (late, after 6 hours of fever, shivering, and breaking) 1 cup apple juice sipped, 2 cups broth from soup my DH made

Tuesday post day 12: 

B: none

L: 1.5 cups soup with cauliflower, beef, mushrooms

I am REALLY dehydrated. And I weighed this morning. No movement. After I get back from NY, Game On. 

D: 2 bowls of soup like lunch

This is where she crap hits the fan...illness, snowed in, bad weather, PMS, frustration at no scale movement, I have no excuse.

Wed post day 13:

Breakfast: Apple. Coffee w coco milk

Lunch: soup potluck at work: 1 bowl compliant chicken w veg, 1 bowl gf/df soup but w potatoes (I have fantastic coworkers)

Dinner: cauli, venison, cin, tomato soup w avocado, snow cream (sugar)

Thursday day 14:

Breakfast: 1 egg scrambled in co. Apple

Lunch: none

Dinner: soup w snow cream and baked friut (some sugar)

Friday day 15:

Breakfast 2 eggs in co, spinach, coffee w coco milk

Lunch boiled egg, leftover soup, avocado

Dinner: out for vday chicken and steak w chorizo, beans, tomatoes and onions, corn tortilla (no reactions!, wondering if beans aren't a problem after all) had leftovers ever after sharing meal w hungry toddler

How frequently are you checking the scale? After my W30 I decided to only let myself weigh in once a month. After I while I forgot to weigh myself. Sounds like you have quite a few stressors right now and they are all going to show up on the scale which just adds to the stress. Maybe at least put it aside until you are feeling more calm about other stuff.

Saturday Post day 16: 

B: 2 eggs with spinach cooked in CO, coffee with coco milk

L: soy latte, handful of pecans

D: mom's- pork roast, steamed carrots, roasted broccoli in evoo, quinoa with veggies

Sunday post day 17:

weight: 173

B: coffee with coco milk

L: compliant homemade venison taco meat with tomatoes, broccoli with evoo, diet coke

D: roast beef, 1 glass red wine, roasted cauli, onions, and mushrooms; roasted carrot, green beans- first time with alcohol in years. yippie!

Why, Hello AF, my least favorite Aunt. Grrr.....

And with that disaster, here comes a Whole7 with planned exception for another glass of wine before it spoils maybe, or not.

For today, I am and will be compliant:

B: 2 eggs scrambled in evoo, coffee with coco milk

L: 70 cal pack of tuna, boiled egg, 2 cups steamed baby carrots, large banana

D; stir-fry with cabbage, onions, beef, broccoli

Tuesday, post day 19:

B: coffee with coco milk, 2 eggs in CO, 1/2 banana

L: 3 carrots roasted in evoo, boiled egg, tuna pack, banana

S: (work potluck, AKA where the crap hit the fan) raw celery, carrots, and broccoli; pineapple; dark chocolate with almonds and sea salt (FAIL)

D: skillet meal with beef, carrots, onions, green beans, garlic, evoo, and red wine (cooked out); kale salad with homemade dressing

Wed, post day 20: 

B: 2 eggs in evoo, coffee with coco milk

L: boiled egg, celery, banana

Wed post day 20:

S smoothie w coco milk, water, kale, banana, flax seed

D foil packs w celery, carrots, venison; broccoli, kale w homemade dressing

Thurs post day 21

B 1 scrambled egg in evoo, golf ball size venison ball, smoothie w kale, banana, coco milk; coffee w coco milk

L: mixed greens salad w seeds, bacon, and dried cranberries; fresh fruit; green beans

S pack tuna, almond butter

D pork roast, sweet pot w co, green beNs w olive oil, kale w dressing

Still starving, what gives???

I would be starving to DEATH if I ate your day 21!  When I eat eggs, I have at least 6 and I am starving an hour before lunch.  I must have huge amounts of protien in the morning...lunch gets a little smaller on protien and dinner smaller still.  Dinner is actually where eggs fit best into my day as it is the smallest meal for me - I am just not that hungry at dinner.  

Breakfast is at least 8 ounces of pure meat, ground turkey or chicken.  My husband just laughs at me because my breakfast is so HUGE and his is usually a V8 (gross) and a piece of toast (yuck) - he outweighs me by over 100 pounds! 

I make my own breakfast sausage from 3 pounds good quality ground turkey, then cook it up with onions, carrots, sweet potatoes and a big bag of spinach. I section it out into 5 portions and when I heat it in the am I put a small plop of coconut oil on for my fat.  It is so darn good that i really think i may eat this even after the 30 is over(2 more days).  I can hold off lunch for over 5 hours...that NEVER was possible before... 

Archived