Bone Broth

jeluca

Hi There,

I'm getting organised and am making the bone broth.  I asked the butcher for soup bones and he gave me lamb shanks all cut up (with quite a bit of meat still on them).  Anyway, I have all the ingredients in my 5.5 litre slow cooker and not surprisingly it is full to the brim (5.5 litres is equal to 5 quarts)

Just wondering how long it should take to reach a boil?  It has been sitting there on high for about 2.5 hours now, it seems to be almost boiling but that seems like a long time.

Also, I'm not sure if I have the right type of bones.

Jane

• Moderators

Your bones are fine. I use whatever I have and always am happy when I have some lamb bones in the mix.

Letting bones simmer in a slow cooker for 24 hours is common. Taking several hours to start simmering is not unusual. 

• Moderators

Thanks! Do you save bones from roasts etc and use those? Or do they have to be fresh.

My bone broth turned out lovely.

:)

You can definitely save bones from things -- when I have lamb shanks or a roast with a bone, I put the bones in a big ziploc bag in the freezer. My problem is usually remembering that I have some in there to use when I go to make a broth -- I don't buy bone-in meats very often (other than chickens, which I usually buy whole, roast, and immediately make broth from) so I tend to forget they're there. 

Archived