Who's made what from Nom Nom Paleo: Food For Humans?

Vian

I bought Well Fed 2 and NNP:FFH at the same time and have been slowly picking things to cook from them. Since we already have a thread about Well Fed 2, I thought I'd start one for Nom Nom Paleo!

So far I've made the Slow Cooker chicken and gravy which is AMAZING. I've actually made it twice. I like to pair it with roasted brussels sprouts.

Tonight I made the Walnut Prawns. The flavor is delicious, but I think the breading is unnecessary. It just got kind of soggy with the sauce on it.

I'm making the pho for dinner tonight. I don't have a pressure cooker, so I roasted some beef bones and put them in the crock pot yesterday morning, then yesterday evening added all the toasted spices, onions and ginger, and this morning I added a seared beef roast. Tonight I'll slice up some eye of round and all the other goodies and have some pho!

• Moderators

I make Slow Cooker chicken and gravy almost every other week.

I adore the Prosciutto-wrapped Frittata Muffins. So convenient!

I've made Slow Cooker Korean Short Ribs a handful of times. Full of umami flavor.

Roasted Kabocha Squash is heavenly. I'd make those every day if they were easier to peel.

Pressure Cooker Bone Broth - what a time saver!

Caramelized Onions really add a lot of flavor to any dish.

Spatchcocked chicken (that may only be in the iPad app). Perfect crispy chicken skin!

Super-Porktastic Meatloaf is out of this world.

The Peruvian roast chicken is AWESOME. I made it with the kabocha wedges and kale+persimmon salad and it was all delicious. I've also made the slow cooker chicken, maple walnuts, rosemary almonds, Mexican pots de creme, bacon deviled eggs. Everything is awesome.

The only fail I've had was the bacon aioli. I think maybe the bacon fat was too warm when I tried to blend it? I don't know. It just never emulsified. I just have a cheap stick blender, so maybe that's it too - I've never made mayo with it before (always use my food processor).

I've made the crispy smashed chicken which is delicious especially smeared with the avocado basil dressing, Korean short ribs were yummy even though I didn't follow all the directions properly, Kalua Pig was yummy (even my husband liked that and he usually will not try my food), going to make the Salmon patties tonight. I attempted the coleslaw but I used too much cabbage I think and it just didn't mix well with the dressing - I didn't use the specific cabbage she suggests either because I had a cabbage I needed to use from my CSA. 

• 2 weeks later...

I love the cracklin' chicken!

We did the Kalua pig yesterday and OMG...it was AH-MAZE-ING!  Seriously delicious.  I had to keep myself from shoveling in forkfuls as I shredded it!   I used a smaller roast than the recipe called for and scaled back on ingredients and time, but next time - I'm going for the whole damn hog it was THAT good and so easy, even my dog could have done it.

Speaking of dogs, I caught one of our well trained 'never ever take food off the counter' dogs on her hind legs licking the serving spoon on the counter!!  Luckily, I'd already put the meat away but I was shocked...

I've made the Yankee pot roast, salmon cakes, the mushroom salt (SOOO good on roasted veggies!), and a few things from the website, like Asian chicken thighs and asian meat balls. I had a major fail with her mayo recipe though, the vitamix version online worked much better for me. Overall, I'd say the book has been very much worth the money. I plan on trying the Khalua Pig recipe and the short rib as well in the next week or so.

Archived