Amanda's post-W30 log

Real Food Y'all

Day 1 after the Whole 30.

Planning to reintroduce non-gluten grains today, but only in the form of about a cup of rice with my lunch or dinner, as that's all I felt like cooking. (As a full-time working mom who frequently stays the night at my SAD-eating parents' house to save on gas for commuting, I make 99% of meals ahead of time.)

Had my first "naughty" treat this morning... artificially flavored blueberry cobbler coffee that I love. :) So far it hasn't made me feel any different than regular coffee, except I have no appetite. I usually eat breakfast at home, but overslept so just packed an apple and some raw cashews to eat, but so far I have not wanted to eat them, at all.

Had my rice at lunch today, and felt some slight heartburn an hour or so later.

Supper was leftover buffalo chicken salad & some roasted broccoli.

Day 2

Ate all paleo stuff so far, except I did enjoy a little maple syrup in my coffee this morning.

Started feeling nauseous and having a slight headache late in the afternoon.

I sucked on an altoid on the way home from work hoping the peppermint might quell the nausea.

Finally got sick about 6:30.

What gives? Is this really all from having a little rice during one meal yesterday?

After my first w30 I went almost immediately back to eating SAD and never felt anything.

Maybe I'm coming down with something.

Day 2

Ate all paleo stuff so far, except I did enjoy a little maple syrup in my coffee this morning.

Started feeling nauseous and having a slight headache late in the afternoon.

I sucked on an altoid on the way home from work hoping the peppermint might quell the nausea.

Finally got sick about 6:30.

What gives? Is this really all from having a little rice during one meal yesterday?

After my first w30 I went almost immediately back to eating SAD and never felt anything.

Maybe I'm coming down with something.

I would guess you are probably coming down with something. 

Thanks, everyone. I thought rice seemed like a pretty innocuous food to reintroduce as well.

I'm feeling better today. Was just very weak this morning from having lost my lunch, then not eating dinner. I took a half day off work to rest and eat small amounts - all paleo food, except for a packet of Justin's chocolate hazelnut butter (which I believe is paleo except for the sugar) I ate first thing in the morning to get something in my tummy without having to try to stand & cook - here and there to make sure it all stayed down. I think whatever hit me has passed for the most part.

I have dubbed today gluten reintro day. I ate some non-gluten-free oatmeal for breakfast, had a small amount of scrambled eggs, then finished a granola bar that my 3yo only took 2 bites of (damn kids). Then looked closer at the granola bar's ingredients & realized it had peanuts in it. Whoops! Guess I'm getting a dose of legumes today too.

Almost immediately after eating it, I felt phlegm accumulate in the back of my throat and nose. Although that could be a coincidence since I'm getting over a cold anyway. I've been phlegmy on and off (mostly on) my entire W30. :(

Aw man. I have fallen off the wagon a little here and there over the past few days, and fell off it pretty hard last night. For some reason, I felt hungry at 10:30 PM. Decided to be a little naughty and have a bowl of my grandma's "Santa Fe soup" (contains beans and corn and who knows what spices). Was STILL hungry after a small bowl and ended up eating several chocolate candies and some chips.

Definitely paying for it this morning. I feel like a balloon. Beans aren't worth it!

I'm hereby promising to eat strictly paleo between now and Friday.... I have a very important job interview Friday morning, so I need my body and mind right.....

....but on Friday night, I REALLY want pizza. ;)

Making a less healthy choice doesn't make you naughty. It is just a choice and it has no impact on your self worth. It may seem like semantics but when we stop seeing the choices we make about food making us good or bad and just look at them as making us more healthy or less healthy it really helps us make more rational choices. Trust me, this is one of those changes that has made a big impact on me.

Archived