Meat Fat vs. Cooking Fats

Emiley Carey

I am beginning my first Whole30 journey on Monday! In preparation I have been making "practice meals" and trying out different foods so that I don't panic on Monday when I have to buckle down. I also see this as a way to prep my body for the change a little bit before nixing all the non compliant foods. So, as I have been perusing the website, forums, and resource blogs for about a week now, I have one recurring question.

Do I need to add the same amount of fat regardless of what meats I am eating?

It makes sense that I need to add fat when eating a lean chicken breast or tuna fish, but what about fattier meats? I made chicken thigh skewers on the grill last night and they were pretty fatty on their own...it was a struggle to add MORE fat to that meal without feeling queasy. I can't imagine adding even more fat to some beef cuts either. Can you clear this up for me?

Further, hoping to understand the meal planning guide--am I to choose one added fat source per meal, or cooking fats/butters in addition to Olives/nuts/avocado etc.? Thanks in advance!

PS  - are tomatoes a fruit or a vegetable?

Welcome.

I believe you should add the same amount of fat.  The idea of the meal planning template is to keep it simple and not overthink things ;)

And you do not need to include one of each type of fat.  Just make sure you have some source of fat (or combination) in the amounts shown in the meal template.  For example, if you have 1/2 a closed handful of nuts you also want to have 1/2-1 handful of olives, or 1 thumb sized portion of cooking oil/fat.

Tomatoes are botanically a fruit, but in the ISWF shopping list, they are under "veggies" so I count them as veggies.

Best wishes to you.

It makes sense that I need to add fat when eating a lean chicken breast or tuna fish, but what about fattier meats? I made chicken thigh skewers on the grill last night and they were pretty fatty on their own...it was a struggle to add MORE fat to that meal without feeling queasy. I can't imagine adding even more fat to some beef cuts either. Can you clear this up for me?

Further, hoping to understand the meal planning guide--am I to choose one added fat source per meal, or cooking fats/butters in addition to Olives/nuts/avocado etc.? Thanks in advance!

It depends on you - you'll need to experiment. Definitely add some fat with a chicken breast or something similar, but for the fattier meats/cuts, you'll eventually learn to know when you're satisfied and when you need more. I'd probably still add some with chicken thighs, but with beef short ribs or something like that, you might be fine without.

Personally I try to err more on the side of adding fat if I can handle it; if I eat a meal without enough fat, I get hungry way earlier than if I eat a meal with plenty. But I really don't enjoy fatty meats very much - I'd much rather eat a lean piece of meat and add mayo or something like that. Everyone is different!

As far as how many fats to add: Generally, cooking fat doesn't "count" as much because a lot of it stays in the pan. Two thumbs of ghee to cook your chicken in doesn't all end up on the chicken. So you'd still need to add some fat to your meal in whatever form(s) you like. It's totally fine to have olives + avocado on a salad with some chicken cooked in coconut oil, for example.

Hi Emiley,  I would try to add some fat to even meals with fattier meats.  I make a huge batch of Whole 30 mayo and make different dipping sauces with it by adding different spices, for example curry, capers, pepper sauce, lemon juice, pan drippings, etc.  It is a great, flavorful way of adding fat and interest to meals.  Marta

Hi Emiley and welcome!

If you save some portions of the meals you are making now, you will thank yourself next week.

As for the fats and feeling queasy, your body could benefit from some digestive enzymes to help you adjust to the different amounts of foods.  I had my gallbladder out and got really queasy when I added salmon and a few other animal fats.  The ox bile in the digestive enzymes helps me out when I pick animal fats from grass-fed and pastured sources, which I love!  (I also find I get less sick from the fats from these animal sources).

I also learned that I had low stomach acid and the betaine HCl and pepsin have helped with these.

In the beginning of a Whole 30, I think it is good to aim on the high side of the meal template with respect to fats.  Play with the various kinds and see if some settle better than others.

Archived