First Whole30, starting 2/17/14!

I am excited to be embarking on this in 13 days, but I am really nervous, too! I don't want to have to start over because I made a mistake based on ignorance, so I am trying really hard to become informed. And I am concerned about my willpower. I'm living with family who are not going on the Whole30 and I'm concerned I will unthinkingly eat or drink something I shouldn't. Or that I will not resist something I should. But... this is for me. And I need to do this. It's time. My body's been telling me that for at least a year and now I'm going to listen.

(Not that anyone wants to hear ALL of this, but I want to record these things before I start so I can look back at the end and hopefully see some awesome changes!)

I HAVE:

- PCOS, resulting in lots of hormonal cystic acne and (probably) weight retention

- perpetual fatigue, even when I get plenty of sleep - and for the past few months, I've had trouble falling and staying asleep, which is a completely new and extremely unpleasant experience for me

- chronic headaches (I'm currently on day 37 of a continuous one and pretty fed up!)

- gained lots of weight in the last year, despite eating fairly well (I love my veggies!)

My hopes for the Whole30 are:

- to better understand my body

- to break my bad food habits and dependencies and replace those with a passion for delicious, interesting, 100% healthy food

- to discover whether I have any food allergies/sensitivities

- to see whether I can control some of my PCOS acne through food

- to try and develop a regular exercise routine

- to improve my sleep

- to have more energy

- to kick this headache!

I've already been using this forum as a hugely helpful resource while trying to research the Whole30 and what products are and aren't allowed, so I know you all are AWESOME. I am sure I will have a million questions and concerns, so thank you all in advance for your help and support! It means a great deal to me!

Sorry this is so long!

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I, too, have chosen Feb. 17 as my start date, and am in the same boat when it comes to family not participating. 

I am 51, 5' 8", weigh 178, and have been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. I also am on medications for hypertension, GAD, seasonal allergies, high triglycerides, preventative heart disease due to family history, and prescription antacid. My doctor also has me on a high fiber, high protein diet that consists of a lot grains. I'll be speaking with him in about a week to discuss the Whole 30 program. I'm hoping he doesn't give me a hard time. If he does, I plan to do the program anyway, and keep him apprised of my results. I have already decided to check my glucose level and BP daily while on the program. I'm also planning on having an A1C test before I start and after I finish.

My hopes are to reduce or eliminate most, if not all, of my meds. Lose some weight (in conjunction with working out), and get my seasonal allergies under control. Like you I deal with chronic headaches, but mine are all sinus related, due to the allergies. I would like to have consistent energy levels, instead of my current high/low swings.

I would love to communicate with you during the program, so that we can encourage each other, and have someone else to be accountable to.  

My husband and I will be starting on the 17th too!! Hopefully we can all support each other :)

He is 32, I'm 23, and we have a 13 month old. My goal is to feel less fatigue/lessen symptoms of fibromyalgia. I also have pretty persistent acne and am hoping that eating clean will help with this. I have a lot of extra weight to lose (gained 50 lbs in last 5 years) so I'm hoping this will help me establish a healthier way of eating and to be able to stop gaining weight. My husband is slender but is tired almost 100% of the time so he's hoping to gain more energy. We used to eat very well but have since gotten out of the habit. I tend to crave breads and sweets so that's what I am most worried about staying off of.

Neither of us are on any medications but heart problems, diabetes, hypoglycemia and non alcoholic fatty liver run in my family so I know I'm on my way there if I don't change something. So we are changing something! I'm gonna be chronicling recipes experiences etc on a blog (that I have yet to set up) if either of you want to post to it too let me know!

Arielle

Wow! We have quite a little group going here. :-) 

One more week until the official start. I am going to spend this week weaning myself off of all the bad foods I've been consuming, so that I don't send my system into total shock next week. I am also stocking my pantry and fridge, so that next weekend I can prepare most/all of my meals for the plan. I'm using the ideas from http://blog.stuffimakemyhusband.com/p/whole30-oamc-freezer-menu.html

but using recipes I've found from several sites listed on the Whole 30 site. I spent this past weekend culling the recipes, cleaning out part of the pantry, deep freeze, and fridge, inventorying my spices and herbs, and making a shopping list. I'm really trying to make this as easy on myself as I can, since I have a habit of starting projects and then either not finishing them, or taking months to complete them. 

Oh, and I'm 3/4 of the way through *It Starts With Food*. Most of the information in it I am actually aware of, but have never put into practice, other than the local, organic produce and meats. 

Is anyone else being as anal about their preparations, or am I just a little too crazy? :-)

I will be starting my second whole30 on the 17th. Did the first back in September and felt great! Cannot believe how much energy I had after simply changing my diet. And it definitely decreased my anxiety - which was the impetus for starting the program for me. 

However, immediately after (day 32), I had two back to back vacations...and slipped into old habits. Hoping this time I can stick to the re-introduction better - no vacation plans for months after!

Things that helped the first time around:

1. Announcing it to many - bf, co-workers, family, etc. My bf does not participate, but I found the first time around if I cooked a compliant dinner, I could just add rice or pasta for him and he'd be happy.

2. Planning lunches to bring to work ahead of time. This was more challenging than anticipated. Although by the end I figured out to just make a big enough dinner to have leftovers.

Debbie - you cannot be too crazy on the preparations! I believe the easier you make it for yourself, the easier it will be to stick to.

I am starting my 2nd Whole30 on 2/17 as well!  I am extremely nervous, as this will be my 3rd attempt to try to do another whole30.  I am more serious about starting this time, than I have been in the past, but I am still scared.  The 1st time I did it with a friend, and I lived on my own.  I had great results, and lost close to 20 pounds.  Since then, I have moved across the Country to live with my boyfriend and I have gained all my weight back, plus more!  I started eating his favorite foods, and stopped eating the Paleo lifestyle that I was use to.  I really want to get back to the size and weight I was before, because right now I am not comfortable with how I look.  I am nervous because I am doing this completley alone.  When I did it with my friend before, she would stay over my house for the weekend and we would be Whole30 compliant together.  We also worked together, so we would eat our Whole30 lunches together everyday.  Having someone struggling with me, really helped.  Doing this alone, and living with my boyfriend who eats junk all the time, is going to make this very difficult.  My boyfriends birthday is also at the end of the month, and I know he will want to celerbrate, and it will be hard to not celerbrate with him (not being able to drink).  I want to start now though, so I am be comfortable in my own skin by the time Spring comes around.  I hope having this forum will help me through my 2nd whole30.  As right now, I am not sure I am going to be able to do it.  I also hope I am able to loose as much weight the second time around as I did the first time, because I have a lot to loose.  I am 5'1 and 155 pounds, which is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to much weight. 

Any help would be awesome!!! =/

awesome guys! anyone have pinterest? I have been finding a lot of ideas on there. You have to read the recipes to make sure they're really compliant, but its still a good resource! Glad to have some starting that have been through once before. I am prepping a ton too Debbie! 

I am starting my 2nd Whole30 on 2/17 as well!  I am extremely nervous, as this will be my 3rd attempt to try to do another whole30.  I am more serious about starting this time, than I have been in the past, but I am still scared.  The 1st time I did it with a friend, and I lived on my own.  I had great results, and lost close to 20 pounds.  Since then, I have moved across the Country to live with my boyfriend and I have gained all my weight back, plus more!  I started eating his favorite foods, and stopped eating the Paleo lifestyle that I was use to.  I really want to get back to the size and weight I was before, because right now I am not comfortable with how I look.  I am nervous because I am doing this completley alone.  When I did it with my friend before, she would stay over my house for the weekend and we would be Whole30 compliant together.  We also worked together, so we would eat our Whole30 lunches together everyday.  Having someone struggling with me, really helped.  Doing this alone, and living with my boyfriend who eats junk all the time, is going to make this very difficult.  My boyfriends birthday is also at the end of the month, and I know he will want to celerbrate, and it will be hard to not celerbrate with him (not being able to drink).  I want to start now though, so I am be comfortable in my own skin by the time Spring comes around.  I hope having this forum will help me through my 2nd whole30.  As right now, I am not sure I am going to be able to do it.  I also hope I am able to loose as much weight the second time around as I did the first time, because I have a lot to loose.  I am 5'1 and 155 pounds, which is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to much weight. 

Any help would be awesome!!! =/

Laura I am in a similar boat as you! I have gotten so far removed from a healthy way of eating that its a little scary to start over. We are going on vacation at the end of April so I am hoping to have these eating habits well established by than. Thankfully my husband is game to do it with me (with the reassurance that its just 30 days for him)

But you're not alone, you've got us! haha. 

Yay! So happy other people are starting on the 17th and it will be nice to have people to talk to! And I'm all for supporting each other :)

Hey there! I am thinking of restarting on the 17th, too! I did my first whole30 in January but feel like I fumbled through it from an emotional standpoint and because my goals weren't completely clear, reintroduction hasn't gone smoothly and I am right back to old habits. Sooooo, I want to take a mulligan and start over. (: I found the forums to be really helpful, so make sure you're coming back to keep posting and motivating each other while we all do this!

I don't think I have mentally prepared enough yet, I need some motivation to make this Monday a reality for me.  If I don't get myself into a serious mindset, I am not going to make it through the 30 days!  I am not sure why I am having such a hard time, last time I did this it was so much easier.  I guess it's because I had a friend that I saw everyday doing it with me. 

Anyway, I thought if I went out and bought all the compliant ingredients, it would help me.  So I took a trip to Whole Foods yesterday and bought my coconut oil, ghee, aminos, almond flour, cocnut milk, coconut flakes, etc.  Hopefully knowing I invested so much money into prepping for this, it will help motivate me. 

If anyone has any other pointers on how to get myself motivated and ready, I am all ears.  I am not feeling 100% confident right now.

Thanks.. hope everyone is looking forward to Monday! =)

Laura,

Have you thought about doing what I am, cooking most of my meals this weekend to freeze. That way all I have to do is pull something out and enjoy.  I also bought lots of fresh fruit and veggies that I can eat raw if I get the munchies. 

I'm finding that the more I plan, the more excited I'm getting. It probably helps that I started weaning myself off of non-compliant foods this week.

Also, feel free to contact me privately if you just need someone to be there for you. I'd be happy to chat through email, if you think it would help.

Debbie

[email protected]

Hey all, gearing up for Monday! I ran to the store this morning and picked up some spaghetti squash, acorn squash, and more spinach to supplement what I already have from January. I'm not too nervous about starting again, I just went through w30 last month, but since I'm fresh out of the experience and going right back in, I know what parts didn't work too well so I am hoping to go in to this with a good plan.

I agree with pp who said its easier to cook a bunch of things ahead of time, especially on your first week. I just pulled my squashes out of the oven and will have some chickens roasting later today to have some meat and broth ready for Monday.

This time around I am switching to tea instead of my usual decaf coffee. I struggled to find an alternative to my vanilla creamer and while I managed to wean off it in favor of almond milk (december) and then coconut milk in January, it still isnt doing it for me so I am taking a break from coffee all together. Going through two large flavored creamers a week myself = not too healthy, lol.

My other goal of this time around is to stay within our grocery budget! I know if I really put my mind to it I can keep it down, especially considering the fact that I already have a lot of the compliant items now. I will be keeping track of my meals (not to count calories or anything), as a way to figure out what is working for me or not, and to stay on track with the budget and to make sure I am keeping prepped a few days ahead. Like I said, I totally crashed and burned during reintro after January, and I really want to focus on what parts of w30/paleo/primal I will be sticking with long term, so my hope is that keeping track will help me stay mindful of what/why I am doing this!

I have already dropped the coffee and grains out today and any sugars aside from honey in my tea, I need to sort of wean off things.

Hope everyone is doing well! Dont kill yourself trying to eat all the sweets and carbs you can on Sunday, you'll just wind up hating yourself and having a worse carb hangover that way!! (:

Lauraashley- I think if I could have been told anything starting my first w30 (and advice I am giving myself too), is make sure you know your "why". "Why" are you doing the w30 and what specifically do you want to get out of it? This time around I am writing it down in a notebook and really working on the mental/emotional side of things, for example. Maybe focusing on your "why" and writing it down somewhere might help you get into the 'I'm ready' mindset? (:

I will be starting my first whole30 on Monday as well, very excited, a little nervous!

24 year old full time student here! I am on a super tight budget, but I think I can do it. I hope to be able to batch cook a few meals tomorrow and Monday.

Looking forward to seeing all of the progress!

Thanks Katie. I felt the same way about weaning myself off of carbs and sugars this week. Fortunately, I don't have a coffee or tea habit.  Although, my daughter works in a bakery, so needless to say sugar is a biggie for me. :-)

And, yes writing down why/goals is great. Gives me something concrete to look at if I get discouraged. 

Hi Everyone!  I guess this is our February 17th "support group"!

I'm starting Monday and I'm super excited.  I actually eat pretty healthy day to day - very little sugar or processed foods - but I have also been eating quasi-vegan for the last few years, and I'm starting to think that it might not be the best thing for me.  I've noticed a lot of bloating and lack of energy lately, so I thought I would switch gears completely and give the Whole30 a try to see how I feel.  The other big reason is I know that I am a HUGE emotional eater - I eat healthy food, but sometimes I eat  A LOT of it (for example, 1/2 jar of almond butter in one sitting).  It mostly happens when I'm stressed/anxious, which seems to be a more common occurrence these days.  I'm really interested to see if the Whole30 helps with my anxiety and I want to use this as an opportunity to become a more mindful eater.  

I did a HUGE shop today and meal planned for next week, so I'm feeling confident.  I'm going to do a whole bunch of meal prep tomorrow, and although my husband isn't doing it, he is onboard with eating whatever I have on the plan.   I think week 1 will be a breeze…I'm worried about what happens after that.

Looking forward to sharing this adventure together!

Sarah

I am starting the Whole30 on 17th too.

I am 36, 5'2" and weigh 171 pounds. I have SLE and the medication I take to keep it under control also make it difficult to lose weight.

I have followed a diet quite close to the Whole30 for sometime now, My only exception has been milk and sugar in my coffee.

The last three months have been full of celebrations (Birthdays and our anniversary) and there has been lots of cake, pasta, pizza and other bad and very bad foods on my plate.

I am restarting my diet by doing the Whole30. I am hoping I can stick to it. 

I am also going to be starting tomorrow and am glad to see that I won't be alone on my endeavor :-)

The program to me is about understanding my body better. I have been struggling with food allergies (gluten, lactose,...) but just haven't been able to fully understand which type of food is causing the various symptoms (no details). I just hope the Whole30 will help me feel better soon. 

My fear is mostly about being able to comply with the rules despite a currently extremely challenging job and several business lunches / dinners coming up. I've been putting the start date off for weeks now, but there just never seems to be a good time to start. 

Can't wait!!!!

Archived