First Whole30, starting 2/17/14!

Well the dreaded norovirus has hit our house. Man down!! 2 of the 3 kiddos have been struck and I am feeling it too. Hopefully it will have passed by tomorrow and I won't be thrown off schedule but I dont know if I could handle worrying whether my tea is compliant or having to pass off my ginger ale. Cross your fingers! I will still be eating fairly compliant (broth!) and may be extending past the 30 day mark anyways, so I will stay around this group even if I get a late start and get 100% compliant Tuesday instead.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm jumping on this starting this week... As in I will be going to the store in 30 minutes to begin this lovely journey. Just finished with reading the book which I borrowed from a friend at work. I am 26 married 5'7 and about 180, but I wear my weight very well. I have gained about 15 lbs in the past 4 years. Now my doctor is telling me I may have PCOS and that my body cant handle the extra stinking 15lbs! (Mind you, I put on not a pound in college) lol

I would like to have a child in the coming years and my husband that jerk still looks like he could be playing college basketball with his body. With that being said, there will be food temptations in my house. Hopefully we can all be strong individually and as a whole *fingers crossed.

Have I mentioned I am a 911 dispatcher and all we do besides talk to people on the worst day of their lives is eat food to cope? Time to reevaluate those food relationships. :o)

BEST OF LUCK AND DEDICATION TO ALL!

I'm starting tomorrow as well. I'm afraid that I am not feeling so committed but don't think waiting will make a difference, so just going to jump into it. Plan on doing my shopping later and preparing some foods. I know that I will feel better after doing this since the two food groups, carbs and dairy, are my faves and my killers. Why does it have to be that way??

Will be looking back here for inspiration, motivation and support.

I started my first Whole30 on the 15th with my husband. We are both 27 (well my husband turns 28 on the 20th) and have weight to loose and just generally get ourselves healthy. In the past 7 months I have lost 20 pounds through various diet trends (no carb diets, yeah that one was fun..., and generally just changing what I'm eating). I found out about the Whole30 from a co-worker and decided to give it a shot!

Hi all!  I'll be starting my first Whole30 on Monday too so I see I'm in good company.  I wouldn't say I'm nervous because I'm already off grain and dairy (mostly), it's the little things like that slash of cream in my coffee that is what will trip me up.  I'm trying to be prepared so I have an enormous crock pot full of bone broth that will be ready tomorrow.  

Fingers crossed!

Debbie, thank you for your email address and the support. I appreciate it, and it means a lot to me to know I have support out there. I prepped all day today, spent quite a bit of money on getting all my compliant ingredients...but they will all last me a long time, so the most expensive part is over. Here is what I prepped so far for this week:

Breakfast ... Monkey salad (recipe available online) hard boiled eggs and compliant bacon

Lunch: salad with grill chicken, avacado, romaine, olives, and olive oil or taco salad with guac salsa and spinach

Dinner: beef roast and all kinds of veggies

Cauliflower

Broccoli

Asparagus

Carrots

Green beans

For snacks: almonds and cashews, orange or cucumber in vinegar with salt and pepper.

I also made a big thing of quac and cut up snap peas and jicama to dip in it.

That's what I have for this week. I am actually looking forward to this food! Fingers crossed I am stay on target. I really need this.

Goodluck everyone!

Hi everyone!

This is my 2nd whole30. My first was July 2013. I stayed Paleo/whole9 since and rarely ate non compliant foods. This winter weather here on the east coast has really made me plateau with weight loss. I lost about 50 lbs since last summer but have at quite a bit more to go to get to a healthier weight. I have been off-roading a lot this last week, and my white carb and sugar dragons have been awakened from their lairs... I need to kill them again now.

I'm looking forward to completing another whole 30 with you all! Our July thread was amazing and I still keep in touch with some of the people from it. Feeling ill tonight after being at a family birthday party with a lot of hidden msg, sugar, breading etc.

We can do this! Congratulations to everyone taking the leap tomorrow! You will love it!

Yay for February 17, 2014! 7.5 months after my first w30 And first time feeling like I really really need to do another one!

Hi -  I will be starting on Tue actually - I've just found this website and have committed to doing this but needed the three day weekend to get pantry and mind prepared.  I have a four year old and a 5 month old - gained a lot of weight with both of them and have been struggling with energy, depression, and just all around feeling bloated and bad.  My husband has agreed to do this with me (he also needs to lose weight) but it will be really all on me to prepare meals and help us stay on track!   I think the hardest thing is going to be cold turkey with sweets - I have a straight up addiction.  So hoping I can figure out how to manage through the first week and then hoping it gets easier!!!

Hi - I will be starting on Tue actually - I've just found this website and have committed to doing this but needed the three day weekend to get pantry and mind prepared. I have a four year old and a 5 month old - gained a lot of weight with both of them and have been struggling with energy, depression, and just all around feeling bloated and bad. My husband has agreed to do this with me (he also needs to lose weight) but it will be really all on me to prepare meals and help us stay on track! I think the hardest thing is going to be cold turkey with sweets - I have a straight up addiction. So hoping I can figure out how to manage through the first week and then hoping it gets easier!!!

You can do it! I did my first last summer with a then 3.5 yr old and 8 month old... we even went to the beach for a week and a half of my w30 and i was able to eat compliant even when my family was enjoying boardwalk pizza and icecream! Keep coming in here to the forum. It helps so much!

Hi Everyone,

May I join your fourm?  I started the Whole30 right after Christmas and went for three weeks, then had a close family member pass away which totally derailed me.  I felt so much better and had so much more energy, I really want to get back to that feeling!

My name is Sarah and my motivation for doing this is more energy, confidence and the ability to keep up with my two boys--ages 1 and 3.  Also, from a vanity standpoint, we are planning a vacation to Destin, FL at the end of May and would like to look better.

I am open to check ins or accountability.  My husband is working on getting healthier, but doesn't want to take the leap into Whole30, so I would love the additional support.  Just let me know!

I am excited to start and get to know some of you!

I keep getting the posts from this forum and have wanted to reply to so many of you, but time got away from me :(

But, anyway, you all are awesome! And WE are awesome, for being brave enough to do this - whether for the first or fifth time!

Also, I started a day early. It's been a bad week. I wanted, like Debbie (sorry, I don't know how to quote you or link to you or whatever!), to start a week early weaning myself off of everything. Then an ice storm hit and I was stuck in the house for 4 days and didn't really have any compliant food, so... that didn't happen! So I spent yesterday shopping and cooking (and realizing I was WAY over-ambitious with my cooking plans...) and just kind of thought, "I have nothing ELSE to eat. I've been making all this good food. Why not eat some of it?" So I did.

Day 1 went okay. Tired from yesterday's cooking and today's cooking and Sunday syndrome ("Aargh! I have SO much to do for tomorrow!"), but the food was pretty good. I'm really loving flavored seltzer. Nice to have flavor and fizz. Polar's Orange Vanilla flavor tastes like an orange creamsicle :)

Oh, and by the way, I'm Irene :) I'm 26, single, grew up overseas, travelled, etc. Now I've ended up back in the States and living with my mom and brother for the moment. Speaking of, I had to have a conversation with my brother today. He was waving melted cheese in front of my face! NOT okay. Thankfully, I think he'll be more supportive from here on out. ;)

I apologize for the RAMBLING! I have had so many thoughts to share with you all and now they're all just kind of spilling out messily. Time for bed!

Best wishes to all of you marvelous people starting tomorrow! We can do it!

Hello!  Just wondering, did anyone sign up for the whole30 daily e-mails??  The first time I did my whole30, I swear it helped me get through the day sometimes.  Even though I read every single one, I still signed up for them again because they were so helpful.  It also has a part at the end of the e-mail that asks if you completed your day, or if you need to start over.  Knowing that I had to answer that question everyday, it helped me.  If you haven't signed up for the dailys, I would recommend it.  

I hope I can get through these next 30 days ... I'm doing everything I can to help me through this.  

Good luck everyone.  

I hope we keep this forum going through the next 30 days, I need people to rely on to help me complete this 100%. 

Hi there, I'm starting today!!  53 years old and ready to start feeling better with more energy.  I had gestational diabetes.  My mom had type 2 diabetes and Dad had rheumatoid arthritis.  I want to avoid these!!  So that is my motivation as well as getting into working out again.  Great idea about journaling katiemcp.  Thanks!

Hi I am hopping onto the 17th start. I have tried this before and have only made it two weeks. I am 56 and I am starting to have issues with aches and pains and I am having out of control sugar cravings. I am hoping this will help me reset my hormones and lead to better sleep, less issues with sore joints, and to get rid of the sugar monster.

I'm starting today!!! ;) I've done a paleo diet before, and lost 14 pounds in a little over a month, and, even better, I just FELT so much better. So, I've gained back that weight, and am at Lmost the cut off bmi for my height for overweight, and am just so ready to kick start a healthier lifestyle!!!

I'm Anna, I'm 33, and have 2 kids and we're adopting a 3rd from Africa!

Let's do this!!

Hey all, today is day 1 for me, I have signed up for the whole30 daily emails and read the first one this morning while drinking my cup of bulletproof coffee! I am so very excited.

I am doing this "challenge" primarily to break a deep rooted sugar addiction and tendency to eat way too much takeout. I am 24, 5'6" and probably 135 pounds, my heaviest weight ever. I have always been quite thin/fit but after a very heavy depression and a very cold winter, my diet has spiraled and I have not been exercising as much as usual. I have probably been putting on weight steadily for the last four months, I am vey used to seeing mid-120's on the scale. I am starting to feel terrible all of the time, and all of my pants are fitting tighter. This stops today!

I live by myself (plus an active dog and his cat best friend) in New York. I am a full time student and also work 20 hours a week at two part time jobs. I think planning is key for me. I did a pretty big shop at Whole Foods yesterday (had a $50 gift card so I stocked up on some nice meats) and just need a few more things that I will pick up today. Right now I am roasting chicken breasts to have on hand, but they are smelling so great I will probably chomp a bit for breakfast.

Hope everyone is having a great first day!

Starting today also. Naturalpathic doc recommended.

Little about means my journey. 41 and doc said I was 169 lbs! I have gained 15 in like 3 months. My hands, elbows, wrists, shoulders, and lower back hurt. I have always been athletic and health conscious. Never skinny but not over weight. Quite drinking 2 yrs ago, no real problem, but wanted to get healthier. Only real vice was sugar. Loved me some sweets!

So when I quit my job but just kept feeling bad, more and more I had to make a radical change. I haven't been diagnosed with RA yet but before they pump me full do drugs I wanted to all I could to prevent it.

Anyway day one

Today I start my journey on Whole30 (2/17/14). Very excited and VERY Nervouse at the sametime. I am 38 and a mother of a 2yr. old. I am hoping that not only will I be making better food choices but also my son and husband will be eating healthier. They will not join me on Whole30 but I do most of the cooking in the house so at least dinner everynight will be health and NO MORE junk food in the house for anyone. I can't wait to hear about all your journeys and advise or suggestions you may have. :D

Hi, my name is Sarah and today is day1 for me. I am so excited! I went shopping yesterday and bought everything I will need for the week. I have been meal planning since the new year and just planned my meals to fit into the plan. I have 3 kids that I plan to have them eat what we eat with a few exceptions.

My goal is to get back to healthy eating but I would be lying if I did not include weight loss. I have about 50 pounds to loss so I hope this is a good starting point.

We already eat pretty healthy. I am gluten free due to an allergy but at times find myself eating the gluten free snacks which are not healthy.

I'm here, too!  I did a Whole30 in Jan.  It was easy and went great!  I saw numerous health improvements and thought that would be motivation enough to continue with a similar menu, but, apparently, a dysfunctional 20yr relationship with food is a lot to overcome.  As soon as it was over, I went haywire.  I didn't follow the correct protocol for reintro and so am unsure as to exactly where some of my discomforts are coming from.  Obviously, it was not long enough for me to create the habits & approach I need.  

So, today I'm starting a Whole45, hoping that the add'l time will help me to figure out some issues and create better patterns once it's over. I now suspect that I may have issues related to eggs and am looking to eliminate them at some point to verify, but find it overwhelming to think of doing that when they are my primary bfast protein source.

I have already lost 35# and am on a mission to lose 50# more.  I have finally admitted that it's "the food thing" that is holding me back and straightening that out is why I'm here.  Have a great Day1, everyone!

Happy Day 1 - everyone!

Looking for a little help here.  After planning my meals for the week, and looking over the template I am beginning to think I am adding too much 'healthy fats'.  So here is my concern,  I ate 2 eggs and 2 peices of compliant bacon for breakfast and had a "monkey salad".  In the 'monkey salad" is has almond butter, cashews, coconut flakes, and a banana.  I got the receipe off of web searches for "whole30 breakfast".  After reading the template and seeing we should only be having a thumbs worth of healthy fats per meal, I think my breakfast is completely wrong. 

Also - similar situation for lunch.  I made a chicken salad which includes; grilled chicken, romaine, green olives, avacado chunks, and a few cashews.  I was going to sprinkle a little olive oil on it for dressing and I have veggies and guac on the side to munch on.  Having the olives, olive oil and avacado in one meal is too much fat?  I am lost.

Can someone help me understand better (in details, since the template isn't helping me) please?

Thanks! =)

Hi Everyone,

May I join your fourm?  I started the Whole30 right after Christmas and went for three weeks, then had a close family member pass away which totally derailed me.  I felt so much better and had so much more energy, I really want to get back to that feeling!

My name is Sarah and my motivation for doing this is more energy, confidence and the ability to keep up with my two boys--ages 1 and 3.  Also, from a vanity standpoint, we are planning a vacation to Destin, FL at the end of May and would like to look better.

I am open to check ins or accountability.  My husband is working on getting healthier, but doesn't want to take the leap into Whole30, so I would love the additional support.  Just let me know!

I am excited to start and get to know some of you!

Of course!  The more the merrier.  I can totally understand how a death (or any stressful event) could derail someone.  Let's do this together!

Goodmorning everyone! Happy Monday the 17th! Today is my day 1 also...I've been planning this for weeks, looking for the right time to start, during a time where I wouldn't have many events going on. I am 44 and climbing the scale at 191, have a 7yo and a 5yo. I've struggled with weight my whole life. I know I do better with eliminating sugar/carbs but this is the most extreme elimination program I've done. I'm looking to get my cravings under control, improve my energy levels, improve some mental issues I have going...and definitely lose some of this weight. I have been doing Crossfit since June, and while I've seen improvements in strength and the fit of some clothes I haven't really curtailed my diet to lose the weight.

I did a lot of meal planning and shopping yesterday, so with today a holiday I'm going to be cooking up a storm! The biggest issue I foresee for me in the next 30 days is the emotional eating. My husband works long hours, so it's just me with the kids...with the homework and the arguments and the tantrums and the bedtime routines...that's what usually gets me reaching for food at the end of the day. I've signed up for the daily emails so I'm hoping that will help! Looking forward to this journey with all of you!

Happy Day 1 - everyone!

Looking for a little help here.  After planning my meals for the week, and looking over the template I am beginning to think I am adding too much 'healthy fats'.  So here is my concern,  I ate 2 eggs and 2 peices of compliant bacon for breakfast and had a "monkey salad".  In the 'monkey salad" is has almond butter, cashews, coconut flakes, and a banana.  I got the receipe off of web searches for "whole30 breakfast".  After reading the template and seeing we should only be having a thumbs worth of healthy fats per meal, I think my breakfast is completely wrong. 

Also - similar situation for lunch.  I made a chicken salad which includes; grilled chicken, romaine, green olives, avacado chunks, and a few cashews.  I was going to sprinkle a little olive oil on it for dressing and I have veggies and guac on the side to munch on.  Having the olives, olive oil and avacado in one meal is too much fat?  I am lost.

Can someone help me understand better (in details, since the template isn't helping me) please?

Thanks! =)

Perhaps a moderator can jump in here, but I'd say your breakfast sounds lacking in vegetables and too heavy on nuts. Try sautéing some frozen spinach or kale with your bacon (and its fat)! It's so good. Also, perhaps do your monkey salad with just banana, coconut flakes and a few cashews, or almonds, and drop the nut butter.

Lunch sounds fine, and I always put olive oil and sulfite free vinegar or lemon juice for dressing, along with a few chopped nuts or seeds, and/or chia. I would maybe pick guacamole on side or avocado in salad. But again, maybe a moderator can chime in.

My lunch today for example is spring mix greens, 4 strawberries sliced into the salad, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, chopped walnuts, chia, and chicken that I pan fried in coconut oil.

Keep going! Plan some veggies for breakfast tomorrow!

Archived