First Whole30, starting 2/17/14!

Perhaps a moderator can jump in here, but I'd say your breakfast sounds lacking in vegetables and too heavy on nuts. Try sautéing some frozen spinach or kale with your bacon (and its fat)! It's so good. Also, perhaps do your monkey salad with just banana, coconut flakes and a few cashews, or almonds, and drop the nut butter.

Lunch sounds fine, and I always put olive oil and sulfite free vinegar or lemon juice for dressing, along with a few chopped nuts or seeds, and/or chia. I would maybe pick guacamole on side or avocado in salad. But again, maybe a moderator can chime in.

My lunch today for example is spring mix greens, 4 strawberries sliced into the salad, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, chopped walnuts, chia, and chicken that I pan fried in coconut oil.

Keep going! Plan some veggies for breakfast tomorrow!

Thank you, Chardoll!

I actually ate my salad today without the olive oil for dressing, and it was so yummy still! I forgot I added apples to the salad for crunch, so it was a nice surprise!  But I think your right, I think I might skip the monkey salad for breakfast all together and try to just add veggies instead.  I don't have time to cook something at home in the morning. SO, I was actually thinking of making egg salad with bacon in it for breakfast with lemonaise (I hope its compliant, I haven't read it yet) and then eating carrots or some kind of veggie on the side!

My salad for lunch tomorrow is ground taco beef, spinach, salad and quac! 

I'll wait to see if a moderator will jump in and add some thoughts about fat.  I don't want to add too much, it seems like it will be easy for me because nuts, olives and gauc are my favorite parts of this diet, so I could get out of hand.  I want to make sure I am eating the right amount each meal.

Thanks =)

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with other posters try to add more veggies to your breakfast. If you have time cooking your eggs up with spinach, bell pepper, mushrooms and topping with a little avocado is soooo good! It doesn't take much longer than scrambling a couple eggs if you have your vegetables prepped :)

Happy Day 1 - everyone!

Looking for a little help here.  After planning my meals for the week, and looking over the template I am beginning to think I am adding too much 'healthy fats'.  So here is my concern,  I ate 2 eggs and 2 peices of compliant bacon for breakfast and had a "monkey salad".  In the 'monkey salad" is has almond butter, cashews, coconut flakes, and a banana.  I got the receipe off of web searches for "whole30 breakfast".  After reading the template and seeing we should only be having a thumbs worth of healthy fats per meal, I think my breakfast is completely wrong. 

Also - similar situation for lunch.  I made a chicken salad which includes; grilled chicken, romaine, green olives, avacado chunks, and a few cashews.  I was going to sprinkle a little olive oil on it for dressing and I have veggies and guac on the side to munch on.  Having the olives, olive oil and avacado in one meal is too much fat?  I am lost.

Can someone help me understand better (in details, since the template isn't helping me) please?

Thanks! =)

How is everyone's first day going? I have a killer headache not sure if it's carb/sugar withdrawals or unrelated. Foods been yummy though!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

So far so good. 

First meal was homemade turkey sausage and baked sweet potato. Lunch was grilled chicken sausage with sauteed squash, and dinner is in the crock pot, Italian pork chops with root veggies. Plan on making a up a salad to go with it.

I noticed that I have a slight headache today too, but I think mine is just stress. I didn't finish all of the meal prep this weekend, so after I got home from the gym, I started the smoker for some pork roasts, and turkey breast. Then made up two chicken meat loaves, a beef pot roast, and started my pork chops for dinner tonight. I'm also doing laundry today, along with helping my mom, who lives with us. Now it's time to go get the meat from the smoker and finish it off in the oven. Then after it cools will put it all in the deep freezer.

Reading through yesterday, and today's, posts just reminded me that my anniversary is Thurs.  :wacko:

Perhaps a moderator can jump in here, but I'd say your breakfast sounds lacking in vegetables and too heavy on nuts. Try sautéing some frozen spinach or kale with your bacon (and its fat)! It's so good. Also, perhaps do your monkey salad with just banana, coconut flakes and a few cashews, or almonds, and drop the nut butter.

Lunch sounds fine, and I always put olive oil and sulfite free vinegar or lemon juice for dressing, along with a few chopped nuts or seeds, and/or chia. I would maybe pick guacamole on side or avocado in salad. But again, maybe a moderator can chime in.

My lunch today for example is spring mix greens, 4 strawberries sliced into the salad, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, chopped walnuts, chia, and chicken that I pan fried in coconut oil.

Keep going! Plan some veggies for breakfast tomorrow!

I'm not sure, but I think if it were me, I would cut down on some of the fats and add more veggies too. 

FYI: when I have salads, either at home or out, I only use fresh squeezed lemon juice as my dressing. I've found that I much prefer that to any oil or other dressing.

I'm not sure, but I think if it were me, I would cut down on some of the fats and add more veggies too. 

FYI: when I have salads, either at home or out, I only use fresh squeezed lemon juice as my dressing. I've found that I much prefer that to any oil or other dressing.

Thank you!  I am going back and thinking of the 1st whole30 I did, and I did the same thing of not eating enough veggies and too much fat.  I will try to re-arrange my meals I have planned for this week, and incorporate more veggies.  I have an overall hard time eating eggs, omlets and scramble eggs just make me sick.  It's all mental, but I haven't been able to get over it.  I tried for 6 months straight and finally gave up.  So, I am thinking of sticking with the egg salad and then lots of sautee veggies on the side instead.  I can make the veggies the night before and heat them up when I get to work.  Hopefully that will incorporate enough veggies for breakfast.  For lunch, I will take out olives and nuts if I am doing avacado or guac or just do olives and nuts.  One or the other.  And of course, I will try to throw in more veggies into my salads. 

Anything else you think I should adjust, let me know.  I REALLLLY appreciate all the help.  If I can get this right from the beginning, I think I will have great success! The first whole30 didn't help with my craving for food that I should not eat (pizza, fried food, chips, candy, etc) ..... maybe it was because I didn't do it 100% correct.  Here's to getting it right this time around.

Thank you everyone =)

Reading through yesterday, and today's, posts just reminded me that my anniversary is Thurs.  :wacko:

Debbie... Are you planning on going out to eat for your anniversary, or are you eating at home?

I wouldn't stress this too much. You could cook at home and cook steaks and lobster tails if you want to go fancy! Also make up a really nice salad with some sliced strawberries and apples or walnuts for crunch. And some yummy roasted vegetables... Brussel sprouts, sweet potatoes... Or if you want "mashed potatoes" with your steak, you could steam/sauté parsnips and cauliflower in chicken broth then put it in the blender with ghee and garlic for amazing mashed fauxtatoes. Have some seltzer with lemon and lime twists in a pretty glass (martini, wine or champagne glass) and you'll feel awesome. Plus you'll feel sassier if you don't have a carb baby and if you don't have a sulfite fueled wine headache.

Happy anniversary! How many years?

Debbie... Are you planning on going out to eat for your anniversary, or are you eating at home?

I wouldn't stress this too much. You could cook at home and cook steaks and lobster tails if you want to go fancy! Also make up a really nice salad with some sliced strawberries and apples or walnuts for crunch. And some yummy roasted vegetables... Brussel sprouts, sweet potatoes... Or if you want "mashed potatoes" with your steak, you could steam/sauté parsnips and cauliflower in chicken broth then put it in the blender with ghee and garlic for amazing mashed fauxtatoes. Have some seltzer with lemon and lime twists in a pretty glass (martini, wine or champagne glass) and you'll feel awesome. Plus you'll feel sassier if you don't have a carb baby and if you don't have a sulfite fueled wine headache.

Happy anniversary! How many years?

Thanks. I'm really not sure what we are doing. My husband is the Chief Engineer at a local TV station, and we had a bad ice storm here last week that took out 3 of his satellite dishes. Needless to say he has been crazy busy trying to get them replaced, and I'm not even sure he remembers yet. :) This will be our 26th, so not a big one.  Since we aren't drinkers anyway, that part will be easy. We have several favorite restaurants to choose from, if we go out, and they are all locally owned and very accommodating.

Happy Day 1 - everyone!

Looking for a little help here.  After planning my meals for the week, and looking over the template I am beginning to think I am adding too much 'healthy fats'.  So here is my concern,  I ate 2 eggs and 2 peices of compliant bacon for breakfast and had a "monkey salad".  In the 'monkey salad" is has almond butter, cashews, coconut flakes, and a banana.  I got the receipe off of web searches for "whole30 breakfast".  After reading the template and seeing we should only be having a thumbs worth of healthy fats per meal, I think my breakfast is completely wrong. 

Also - similar situation for lunch.  I made a chicken salad which includes; grilled chicken, romaine, green olives, avacado chunks, and a few cashews.  I was going to sprinkle a little olive oil on it for dressing and I have veggies and guac on the side to munch on.  Having the olives, olive oil and avacado in one meal is too much fat?  I am lost.

Can someone help me understand better (in details, since the template isn't helping me) please?

Thanks! =)

The feedback you got was good. The recommended meal template is 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies and appropriate amount of compliant fat. The changes you plan to make to incorporate veggies will bring your meals closer to the template.

What are the ingredients in the lemonaise?

First day went great! It felt like I was in the kitchen all day preppping...stir fry veggies, roasted veggies, cutting up raw veggies, hamburger patties, grilled chicken, mayo, etc. Besides some hunger pains mid afternoon I've felt fine.

Is anyone on Instagram? I'm going to try and take pics of my meals to record. I'm 'aiming4healthylife' if anyone wants to follow me :)

Laura.....I don't believe the canola oil is approved. I don't have ISWF in front of me right now to double check though.

Hope everyone is doing well!!

I did some research, and I found out everything is 100% compliant but there is "pure expeller pressed canola oil" .... can I still use this, or do I need to find another alternative?

I would find an alternative. The "can I have...?" article says that canola and other vegetable oil should only be consumed when dining out and that at home you should use compliant fats like olive oil, coconut oil and ghee. There are lots of paleo mayo recipes... check paleomg.com, nomnompaleo.com and clothesmakethegirl.

Day 2:

Woke up at 4:30am, took care of some paperwork, checked my glucose and BP (both fine), ate meal 1 of turkey sausage and baked sweet potato with toasted pecans. Played some solitaire, and just as my husband woke up at 7 my eyes started closing. Went back to bed and woke again at 10:15. Feeling hungry again, so thinking I'll have a small salad to hold me until lunch time. Dinner tonight is a turkey breast I smoked yesterday, and then couldn't find a bag large enough to hold it for the freezer.  :) Also, adding baked acorn squash, broccoli, and avocado.

I'm not feeling any difference yet, either positive or negative, so I'll keep on keeping on. :D  

I also woke up with a slight headache. For breakfast I had cooked kale and three eggs. I also had a banana. I am starting to get hungry now. Will try and wait until noon to eat. I am off work this week but I want to keep my eating on the same schedule.

I took my before pictures this morning. I thought I would be ashamed, but I was actually excited. Excited to see what the next 30 days bring!

I started yesterday too!!!

I definitely had a headache by the end of the day, and went to bed at about 8:30! I was so tired!

Today is a bit of a struggle. I'm seriously missing my sugar. I keep asking my friend if this is worth it. He's assuring me it is, but this is hard. Maybe I'll feel better after lunch. I'm hoping to wait until at least noon even though I'm a little hungry now.

I definitely had the fatigue and headache going yesterday as well. I was craving carbs so badly this morning, but I didn't succumb! Instead had a 2-egg omelet with spinach and tomato. I find myself getting better with not grazing so much. The first week is going to be the hardest, but we all need to hang in there! :D

Does anyone have advice on the best kitchen appliances to use to make homemade mayo.  Since the one I have at home isn't compliant, I would like to try to make my own again .  My first 3 atempts were epic fails.  Maybe it's the appliance I was using (used my magic bullet). 

Woke up today not tired at all, for the first time in a while.  Hmm, let's see how long it last. 

Also tried bulletproof coffee this morning!

Anyone interested in bulletproof coffee it is - coffee blended together with tbsp ghee, tbsp coconut oil & you can mix 100% cocoa for flavoring. 

Made my usual morning black coffee yummy!! (I usually drink black coffee always, after my 1st whole30 I decided to keep the black coffee thing as a habit)

Happy Day 2 everyone!  Very proud of everyone that is keeping on going!  We can all do this, we are worth it!

I meant to start yesterday but I have had a lot of changes of plans recently that have me thrown off schedule... I accidentally snacked on some non-compliant honey roasted peanuts in the morning, but stayed compliant the rest of the day. Last night I made the Well Fed Shepherd's Pie and had some leftovers for breakfast.

Would like to lose some weight this time so I plan to focus on the template, portions, reduced snacking (balanced snacking only when absolutely needed), and no nuts, dried fruits (except unsweetened cranberries) or Lara bars.

Archived