First Whole30, starting 2/17/14!

Lauraashley,

For mayo I have tried using both my blender and immersion mixer, but have had the best luck using my blender on the lowest setting. The directions in Well Fed are good, I think adding a tiny bit extra acid (lemon juice or vinegar) helps it thicken.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone have advice on the best kitchen appliances to use to make homemade mayo.  Since the one I have at home isn't compliant, I would like to try to make my own again .  My first 3 atempts were epic fails.  Maybe it's the appliance I was using (used my magic bullet). 

Yeah, the Magic Bullet is way too fast for homemade mayo.

I love my stick blender. Started making homemade mayo during my Whole30 last June, and it's come out perfect every single time, using the lower setting.  I now make mayo at least twice a month, using this recipe from Well Fed.

This is what I use: worth every penny. http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/Cuisinart-reg-Smart-Stick-reg-Two-Speed-Hand-Blenders/3245268?Keyword=cuisinart+magic+stick

Does anyone have advice on the best kitchen appliances to use to make homemade mayo.  Since the one I have at home isn't compliant, I would like to try to make my own again .  My first 3 atempts were epic fails.  Maybe it's the appliance I was using (used my magic bullet). 

Woke up today not tired at all, for the first time in a while.  Hmm, let's see how long it last. 

Also tried bulletproof coffee this morning!

Anyone interested in bulletproof coffee it is - coffee blended together with tbsp ghee, tbsp coconut oil & you can mix 100% cocoa for flavoring. 

Made my usual morning black coffee yummy!! (I usually drink black coffee always, after my 1st whole30 I decided to keep the black coffee thing as a habit)

Happy Day 2 everyone!  Very proud of everyone that is keeping on going!  We can all do this, we are worth it!

I'm not sure why the magic bullet wouldn't work. I just used my Oster blender, drizzled the oil super slow and it worked great. I keep hearing that immersion blenders are great for mayo, so I may get one. 

People feeling hungry in the morning before lunch, make sure you are eating enough fat, protein and veggies at breakfast! :-) as you continue on and find what breakfasts work for you, and your body adjusts, you shouldn't have any problem waiting. Also, make sure you are listening to your body, and not just reaching for food mid morning out of habit. Hope day 2 went well for everyone.

I had to shovel out this morning, after 3-4 inches of morning snow and I'm glad I had made double breakfast yesterday so I didn't have to cook! Just microwaved 2 min and breakfast was done! The school nurse at the high school where I work started a biggest loser competition and today was day one weigh in, so that was perfect timing. I was also happy that the scale there was the same as my home scale. There is nothing worse than when scales are off... and yes I know, I need to give up the scale. Last July I had to hide it away during my first w30. Alas.

Yeah, the Magic Bullet is way too fast for homemade mayo.

I love my stick blender. Started making homemade mayo during my Whole30 last June, and it's come out perfect every single time, using the lower setting.  I now make mayo at least twice a month, using this recipe from Well Fed.

This is what I use: worth every penny. http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/Cuisinart-reg-Smart-Stick-reg-Two-Speed-Hand-Blenders/3245268?Keyword=cuisinart+magic+stick

I agree. The only time I have had success was with an immersion blender. Major fails with the bullet and cuisinart. Have also had fails with the immersion blender but that usually works for me...

People feeling hungry in the morning before lunch, make sure you are eating enough fat, protein and veggies at breakfast! :-) as you continue on and find what breakfasts work for you, and your body adjusts, you shouldn't have any problem waiting. Also, make sure you are listening to your body, and not just reaching for food mid morning out of habit. Hope day 2 went well for everyone.

I had to shovel out this morning, after 3-4 inches of morning snow and I'm glad I had made double breakfast yesterday so I didn't have to cook! Just microwaved 2 min and breakfast was done! The school nurse at the high school where I work started a biggest loser competition and today was day one weigh in, so that was perfect timing. I was also happy that the scale there was the same as my home scale. There is nothing worse than when scales are off... and yes I know, I need to give up the scale. Last July I had to hide it away during my first w30. Alas.

Can you give us an example of what you make for breakfast? It sounds like you know what you're doing =)

Also - I have noticed that my stomach is not handling this diet gracefully.  Any advice on how to avoid stomach issues?

I agree. The only time I have had success was with an immersion blender. Major fails with the bullet and cuisinart. Have also had fails with the immersion blender but that usually works for me...

Thank you!  I have a blender at home, so I am going to try that first, before I go out and buy anything.  It's the same type of blender in the vidoe on from well fed.  Also .. do we need to get the best brand of Olive Oil?  The grocery store I went to only had the brand "canola" that made it...but it was still "light tasting olive oil" and the ingredients only read olive oil.  Just want to make sure the brand isn't important as well.  Thanks!

Today is day one for my hubby and I.  We're both already gluten free, and low grain.  I *was* sugar-free, but my sweeteners and dairy consumption had gotten a little out of control, leading to problems with anxiety and depression......so this whole30 challenge seems just the thing to get me on track!!  My hubby just got back from vacation, and he gained a bit of weight while he was there.  I'm at the uppermost of my comfortable weight level, so losing a few pounds will be good for both of us.  :^)

For breakfast this morning we had fried eggs, mashed sweet potato and sauteed cabbage, onion, carrot.  It was yummy!  I found it hard to wait until lunch though I was quite full after eating breakfast.  I might have to try 4 smaller meals a day, not sure my body can handle just eating 3 large meals/day.  I read somewhere that we aren't supposed to snack between meals....is that correct?

Lunch was chicken curry over cauliflower rice, and dinner is going to be turkey stew on mashed sweet potatoes (with a green juice).

Thanks for the advice Chardoll. I actually didn't eat, just went and took my shower, got busy with housework and didn't eat anything until lunch. I think my brain was just wanting something, but not my stomach.  ;) 

At lunch I had curry chicken salad on a bed of greens with grape tomatoes. 

I enjoy breakfast immensely, so I'm not really one of those people that says think of it as "meal 1" and eat dinner for breakfast. I love eggs. In my first whole 30 I wanted to gag after making omelets/scrambles for a week and someone suggested making fried eggs and boy did that ever make a huge difference for me! So I fry them 2 to 3 eggs "over medium" so they have a bit of runny yolk but not too runny and not too hard.

I almost always have a sweet potato (usually a half of one) which I microwave, mash with a fork and combine with chia and coconut oil.

My non starchy vegetable ranges but my old reliables are:

-spinach(organic frozen) sauteed in coconut oil or bacon fat

-chopped or shredded cabbage steam/sauteed in coconut oil or bacon fat

-kale sauteed in coconut oil.or.bacon fat

- in the summer I'll have a sliced tomato with olive oil and salt with that

If I do make an omelet I have found that chopped.onions are key to making it extra yummy, and I'll do.that with mushrooms and spinach usually.

I also have coffee with coconut milk (if I have run out, I'll have it with coconut oil which grosses my husband out but I like it!)

Last week to change things up I sauteed ground pork with spinach and apples and a bit of cinnamon and coconut oil and that was a yummy change.

Hope that helps with breakfast ideas. I think the main thing is make sure you get non starchy veggies. Think of the sweet potato as an add on or extra beyond your meat.or.eggs and veggies. It shouldn't be the only veggie.

:-)

Day 2 completed!  I said to my husband at the end of the day, that it was weird to actually feel HUNGRY at all my meals.  I realize that I am a total grazer, which leads to me always feeling a bit "full".  It was actually a nice feeling to feel "empty" for a bit. I can already tell that this is going to help me understand my hunger cues a lot better.

I was pretty starving in the morning after breakfast - I had a can of tuna mixed with avocado plus a breakfast salad of cucumber, jicama, celery and plums with some lemon juice.  I guess I need a bit more fat and protein?  

I was also pretty hungry by dinner, so I think I ate too much and now feel a little too full.  I'm thinking snacking on a few raw veggies between meals might be a way to help curb the intense hunger without filling up too much.  Anyone else have thoughts on this?

I enjoy breakfast immensely, so I'm not really one of those people that says think of it as "meal 1" and eat dinner for breakfast. I love eggs. In my first whole 30 I wanted to gag after making omelets/scrambles for a week and someone suggested making fried eggs and boy did that ever make a huge difference for me! So I fry them 2 to 3 eggs "over medium" so they have a bit of runny yolk but not too runny and not too hard.

I almost always have a sweet potato (usually a half of one) which I microwave, mash with a fork and combine with chia and coconut oil.

My non starchy vegetable ranges but my old reliables are:

-spinach(organic frozen) sauteed in coconut oil or bacon fat

-chopped or shredded cabbage steam/sauteed in coconut oil or bacon fat

-kale sauteed in coconut oil.or.bacon fat

- in the summer I'll have a sliced tomato with olive oil and salt with that

If I do make an omelet I have found that chopped.onions are key to making it extra yummy, and I'll do.that with mushrooms and spinach usually.

I also have coffee with coconut milk (if I have run out, I'll have it with coconut oil which grosses my husband out but I like it!)

Last week to change things up I sauteed ground pork with spinach and apples and a bit of cinnamon and coconut oil and that was a yummy change.

Hope that helps with breakfast ideas. I think the main thing is make sure you get non starchy veggies. Think of the sweet potato as an add on or extra beyond your meat.or.eggs and veggies. It shouldn't be the only veggie.

:-)

The pork with spinach and apples and cinnamon sounds amazing - thanks for the idea!

Also - I have noticed that my stomach is not handling this diet gracefully. Any advice on how to avoid stomach issues?

Hi lauraashley.

You may want to read the two articles that whole9 has in their resources on Digestive enzymes and probiotics. http://whole9life.com/resources/

I take those and also psyllium husk capsules to help move things along. Olive oil and coconut oil in your diet should help too.

Remember, your body is in a state of adjustment right now and everything will start to improve!

Day 3, woke up with a headache, but not too intense. Ate breakfast of turkey blueberry sausage; scrambled eggs with peppers, spinach, kale, chard, and chives; and grape tomatoes on the side. Headache seems to be easing off. Maybe I slept too long last night.  ;)

Hi lauraashley.

You may want to read the two articles that whole9 has in their resources on Digestive enzymes and probiotics. http://whole9life.com/resources/

I take those and also psyllium husk capsules to help move things along. Olive oil and coconut oil in your diet should help too.

Remember, your body is in a state of adjustment right now and everything will start to improve!

Thank you, I will read up on that.  Without giving too much uncomfortable information ...  I don't need help 'moving things along' ... I want them to slow down a little, if possible.  It seems right after I eat, I am running to the restroom.  I will try the probiotics ... I have some at home.  I have been doing the "bulletproof coffee" as well (coconut oil, ghee and 100% cocoa blended with my coffee) so it could be having the extra oils in the morning that is giving the reactions. 

I am also trying to remind myself that before this diet, I was eating with my boyfriend (who eats like a typical guy ... pizza, wings, chips, etc) so my body is probably reacting to all the added fiber in the veggies

=) enjoying every bit of this whole30 .. I am so happy I did this again.  I wish I did it sooner =) Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Thanks Debbie MB for the breakfast ideas! That's exactly why I came to the forums today. I usually eat fruit for breakfast, but find myself wanting a snack by 11, and I don't eat lunch until 12:30. I'm hoping to stop snacking completely, but for now, I use a small bowl nuts and dates to get through.

What does everyone use for compliant breakfast meats? I find *so* many things have added ingredients :-(

What does everyone use for compliant breakfast meats? I find *so* many things have added ingredients :-(

I'm using ground turkey, pork, and chicken to make my own sausage. It's super easy and I get to control what goes into them. 

Here is the recipe I found online:

1 lb ground meat of choice (pork, chicken, or turkey)

1 tsp rubbed sage

1/2 tsp Aleppo pepper (or 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper + 1/4 tsp paprika)

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp dried thyme

1/4 tsp ground coriander

1/4 tsp nutmeg

1/4 tsp pepper

DIRECTIONS

Thoroughly combine all ingredients with your hands.

Shape the meat into a log and place it on a large piece of plastic wrap. Roll it up in the plastic wrap, tightly twisting both ends.

When ready to serve, slice it into patties. You should get about eight sausage patties. Cook them in a lightly oiled skillet on medium heat, turning once, until both sides are browned. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until the meat is completely cooked throughout. Serve.

Thanks Debbie MB for the breakfast ideas! That's exactly why I came to the forums today. I usually eat fruit for breakfast, but find myself wanting a snack by 11, and I don't eat lunch until 12:30. I'm hoping to stop snacking completely, but for now, I use a small bowl nuts and dates to get through.

As far as I have learned, Fruit should just be an added part of your breakfast, but not the main ingedient.  Your breakfast should be formed around protien and fat.  I usually rush out the door by 7:30, so I make something I can grab and eat at my desk at work.  I like to boil some eggs and eat then plain or I will make a egg salad (which I love) with homemade mayo.  You can look up the receipe by searching "homemade mayo well fed" on google, and the website pops up ... the girl teaches you how to make it with a video, which is very helpful!  I then add some kind of veggie to my meal; green beans, broccoli, asparagus, any kind of veggie you like on side that eaquals 1 - 2 cups! 

I've also made a quiche before, which is a quick alternative. You can use those cupcake tins that you don't need for baking anymore :P  and sramble some eggs and add in your favortie veggies ... mushrooms, peppers, onions, even compliant breakfast sausage!  Then put them in the cupcake tins and bake!  Then you have mini grab and go's for the morning! 

Those are just some of my ideas, as I like to keep my breakfast closer to a normal type of breakfast.  I know my friends who do whole30 will eat anything for breakfast as long as it's protien, veggies and some fa.  For example steak & broccoli cooked in coconut oil, chicken & asparagus cooked in ghee...be creative :D

I have also started doing "bullet proof coffee" to start my morning off right.  Which is simply regular coffee beans (no flavored coffee, bc that is NOT compliant) with tsp coconut oil, ghee and 100% cocoa if you want extra flavor ... then blend together and whala!  bulletproof coffee =) ;)

I'm using ground turkey, pork, and chicken to make my own sausage. It's super easy and I get to control what goes into them. 

Here is the recipe I found online:

1 lb ground meat of choice (pork, chicken, or turkey)

1 tsp rubbed sage

1/2 tsp Aleppo pepper (or 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper + 1/4 tsp paprika)

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp dried thyme

1/4 tsp ground coriander

1/4 tsp nutmeg

1/4 tsp pepper

DIRECTIONS

Thoroughly combine all ingredients with your hands.

Shape the meat into a log and place it on a large piece of plastic wrap. Roll it up in the plastic wrap, tightly twisting both ends.

When ready to serve, slice it into patties. You should get about eight sausage patties. Cook them in a lightly oiled skillet on medium heat, turning once, until both sides are browned. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until the meat is completely cooked throughout. Serve.

wow! interesting!  I just might try this, this weekend.  I have found a new love for sausage.  My grocery store makes their own and they have a spicy kind that is just pork and spices and I swear I could eat it EVERY DAY.  OMG it is so good!  But, I don't know exactly what kind of meat they are using, and if it is good meat (which if I am being honest, it probably isn't)  .... so maybe I will try this out, and add my own spicy spices to it!  The part I love the most is being able to cook them on the grill, because it chars them perfectly!  Could I cook these sausages on the grill, or does that not work??? :)

Hi everyone!  This is my first post...started on 2/17 like all of you!  Decided to use my weekends to shop and prep most of my food for the upcoming week...thanking the fates that I have three Whole Foods stores within 20 minutes of me!

I read both the book and the timeline and have to laugh at myself...I feel like I'm a day ahead of the timeline.  Day 3 and I actually feel fine (unlike yesterday, when I literally could not stop yawning and had a huge headache!).  Already learning that there is only so much chicken I can take, and that coffee without half and half and raw sugar just isn't worth drinking.

I love reading everyone's goals and motivations...makes me feel like I'm not alone on this journey (all of my friends are supportive, but think I'm crazy for giving up alcohol for 30 days!  you would have thought that I announced I was giving up air!).

Good luck to us all...Looking forward to learning from and sharing with you!

The part I love the most is being able to cook them on the grill, because it chars them perfectly!  Could I cook these sausages on the grill, or does that not work??? :)

I don't think they would hold up well on the grill. At least the turkey/chicken ones wouldn't, as they are really lean meats. I haven't tried the pork yet.  I just throw them in the skillet.

Archived