First Whole30, starting 2/17/14!

Remember I mentioned earlier that my anniversary is tomorrow? Well, my daughter just informed me that she ordered my favorite, chocolate cake, from the bakery!  :rolleyes: I told her not to sweat it, that she and her dad could enjoy it for me.

Crazy as it sounds, I have no desire to even think about tasting it. I feel very empowered right now. Hopefully, that keeps up. ;)

Oh, and I've decided that we are going to our favorite steakhouse for dinner. I can get a great steak, and all I can eat salad bar. Win!!!

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi lauraashley.

You may want to read the two articles that whole9 has in their resources on Digestive enzymes and probiotics. http://whole9life.com/resources/

I take those and also psyllium husk capsules to help move things along. Olive oil and coconut oil in your diet should help too.

Remember, your body is in a state of adjustment right now and everything will start to improve!

Hi CharDoll,

thank you for your insights!

I didn't think psyllium husks are compliant?! Or is it just the capsules that are compliant? 

Mine are currently stored in the very back of my pantry, and I would actually be happy if I was allowed to include them back into my diet...

Thanks

Julia

PS: Exhausted and tormented by headaches...let's see what day 4 will bring!

Hi CharDoll,

thank you for your insights!

I didn't think psyllium husks are compliant?! Or is it just the capsules that are compliant?

Mine are currently stored in the very back of my pantry, and I would actually be happy if I was allowed to include them back into my diet...

Thanks

Julia

PS: Exhausted and tormented by headaches...let's see what day 4 will bring!

Julia! I have never thought about them being not compliant! So funny, never even crossed my mind that they wouldn't be. I just checked it out in the forums and found various posts. It seems that most moderators say it is fine to take them, but that if we are eating enough veggies we shouldn't need to. Here are good posts:

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/3964-psyllium-husk/

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/11635-psyllium-husks/

And thisbis great and funny from Mark Sisson:

" Psyllium Fiber

Psyllium fiber comes two different ways, with each having a different effect on your bowels and their movements. Psyllium husk, which is the popular type of pysllium fiber found in most supplements, comes from the exterior of the psyllium seed and is almost entirely insoluble fiber. It bulks up your poop and can help move things along, but it's pretty much an inert polysaccharide. Your gut bacteria can't do much with it, let alone your “own†digestive system. If you need to fill a toilet bowl, psyllium husk will do it.Psyllium seed powder, however, is mostly soluble fiber. That means it's a prebiotic, fermentable fiber that can feed and support your gut flora and spur the creation of beneficial short chain fatty acids like butyrate. In fact, psyllium seed has been shown to increase butyrate production by 42%, an effect that lasted for two months after treatment.I'm not a fan of pounding out massive dump after massive dump just because you can. I mean, sure, you don't want to be stopped up and unable to go when you want to, but there's nothing inherently good or beneficial about padding your bowel stats and rending your bowel walls with insoluble fiber. Soluble, prebiotic fiber? Via the production of short chain fatty acids, that stuff can actually help reduce colonic inflammation, improve insulin sensitivity, protect against obesity, serve as an energy source for the colon, and possibly even protect against colon cancer. Thus, a case for psyllium seed fiber supplementation can certainly be made.Verdict: Cautiously Primal, so long as you're using the seed powder. But I'd rather you get your fermentable fiber in whole food form. Psyllium husk? Not Primal.Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/is-it-primal-paleo-bread-braggs-liquid-aminos-psyllium-fiber-and-other-foods-scrutinized/#ixzz2tofCy8yF"

So... maybe I will stick to my digestive enzymes and probiotics and leave the psyllium husks for times I really need them.

Thanks, Julia, for making me look these up! I'm going to.read more about them to help guide my decision.

Love this group! Thanks!

Hey everyone!  I hope you don't mind me tagging along on this thread.  I started the Whole 30 on Monday the 17th too!  The main reason to do this is to curb my sugar addiction, feel better, sleep better and maybe lose a few pounds.

Good luck everyone!

Remember I mentioned earlier that my anniversary is tomorrow? Well, my daughter just informed me that she ordered my favorite, chocolate cake, from the bakery!  :rolleyes: I told her not to sweat it, that she and her dad could enjoy it for me.

Crazy as it sounds, I have no desire to even think about tasting it. I feel very empowered right now. Hopefully, that keeps up. ;)

Oh, and I've decided that we are going to our favorite steakhouse for dinner. I can get a great steak, and all I can eat salad bar. Win!!!

You can do it :)

I'm using ground turkey, pork, and chicken to make my own sausage. It's super easy and I get to control what goes into them. 

Here is the recipe I found online:

1 lb ground meat of choice (pork, chicken, or turkey)

1 tsp rubbed sage

1/2 tsp Aleppo pepper (or 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper + 1/4 tsp paprika)

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp dried thyme

1/4 tsp ground coriander

1/4 tsp nutmeg

1/4 tsp pepper

DIRECTIONS

Thoroughly combine all ingredients with your hands.

Shape the meat into a log and place it on a large piece of plastic wrap. Roll it up in the plastic wrap, tightly twisting both ends.

When ready to serve, slice it into patties. You should get about eight sausage patties. Cook them in a lightly oiled skillet on medium heat, turning once, until both sides are browned. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until the meat is completely cooked throughout. Serve.

YUM!  I just wrote down the recipe and am going to make these in a day or two!  Thanks  :)

Day 2 for us. Feeling pretty good and the whole family is in. Little unsure about breakfast for the kiddo so I'm reading all these great posts and getting some ideas. Pumpkin...gatta add that to my shopping list. Just got a Trader Joes in Boulder. Prices on spices are so amazing. Any support or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Not sure how to handle meals when I wake up at 7 and workout at 9:30. Can't wo on a full stomachs. Suggestions?

Thanks...look forward to chatting with everyone.

Day 2 for us. Feeling pretty good and the whole family is in. Little unsure about breakfast for the kiddo so I'm reading all these great posts and getting some ideas. Pumpkin...gatta add that to my shopping list. Just got a Trader Joes in Boulder. Prices on spices are so amazing. Any support or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Not sure how to handle meals when I wake up at 7 and workout at 9:30. Can't wo on a full stomachs. Suggestions?

Personally I would try to eat as soon as possible after waking and then do a small post wo meal. Just my 2¢ :) that's a long time to go without food in the am otherwise and the better breakfast I eat the better I do throughout the day!

Day 3 under the books! It has been going very well for me; no real issues except today I have been famished!! I did a tough workout this a.m., so maybe that's why.

I've discovered kombucha today...I'm in love!! So yummy! Also fixed up some cauliflower rice which I liked. I've tried the caul.mashed "potatoes" before and didn't much care for it...but rice is definitely a keeper!

For mornings I workout like today, I had 2 hb eggs w/ mayo and my coffee about 1-1/2 hrs before the workout. After I had another 2 eggs with a small sweet potato, onions, and a few strawberries. I have to eat before I workout, but it's definitely a mini-meal.

On my workout days, I eat my normal breakfast, as I can't wo on an empty stomach. 

LIke Arielle said, try just a small meal before wo, and then eat a good meal after.

Day 3 under the books! It has been going very well for me; no real issues except today I have been famished!! I did a tough workout this a.m., so maybe that's why.

I'm finding that I'm only hungry before bedtime. Which, for me, is actually normal. I would usually eat something before bed, but now am just suffering through, and going to bed a little earlier. I wake up ready to eat breakfast within half an hour.

Is anyone else hungry 24/7? I feel like I am eating plenty and eating enough fats but I am hungry a lot. And I do the "would I eat steamed broccoli and chicken?" check lol it could be from nursing my son but idk what to do about it. Hoping it'll go away

Ariellemc- Could you give us an example of your meals yesterday and Tuesday?

I'm finding that I'm only hungry before bedtime. Which, for me, is actually normal. I would usually eat something before bed, but now am just suffering through, and going to bed a little earlier. I wake up ready to eat breakfast within half an hour.

Debbie, try drinking more water before and after dinner. That usually helps with hunger. It may be that you are thirsty. I also find brushing my teeth shortly after dinner helps with the hunger b/c to me it signals I'm going to bed and won't eat anymore. Once your mind and body get used to the 3 solid meals and more water it will start to adjust the mental hunger signals.

Hey all, checking in. Today is my day 3. Thinking about starting to add in some low impact exercise. I have been walking a lot (does anyone else here use fitbit?)

I am finding that I don't have much of an appetite at night, I am definitely a mid-day snacker. I think having large breakfasts and lunches is best for me! That seems to keep me plenty full (plus a couple raw fruit/veggie snacks when sugar cravings hit) all day which is great to be learning.

http://dpwhole30.wordpress.com

Onto Day 4.  Things are going well.  I am waiting for that moment where I feel great.  Today was the first day I did not wake up with a headache since starting.  So that is great!  Last night I would have snacked if not for doing this.  I was not really hungry...just wanted something. But I made it!  

It helps that my husband is doing it as well. The support is great.  My kids are still eating a few things on the list, but over all they have a pretty healthy diet.  

I do need to drink more water.  That is the goal for today! 

Have a great day 4 everyone! 

Good morning all!  So I officially had my first food dream last night!  This is my second whole30, so this is WAY sooner than usual! I had a dream I was with people that was eating pizza, and I was telling them "I can't eat cheese, I can't have sauce with sugar in it, I can't have crust, nope, I can't have pizza"!   At least in my dream I am still sticking to my diet ;)

So we have a traditional birthday dinner with my boyfriends family this weekend. Every year his mom makes spagetti and meatballs and has the whole fam over.  So this year, for myself, I am going to make my own meatballs, so I know there isn't any breadcrums in them, my own sauce, so I know that no sugar or cheese was added, and my own "spagetti" (spagetti squash") ... that way I can still celerbrate and remain compliant =)  And hopefully no one will even notice, so I don't have to explain our diet to everyone.

Well besides that ... I woke up with a little cold today.  In the e-mails it says it's normal around day 3-4.  I think it shall pass soon =)

Happy Day 4 everyone! :o

So wait...this is Day 4, right?  This is supposed to be the day where I want to kill everyone and everything?  Why do I feel totally great and friendly?  :D

I've now cooked everything I bought over the weekend and am now working off yummy leftovers for the rest of the week.  I think I've been doing a good job of giving myself enough food...haven't been ravenous yet at all.  Breakfast was a homemade sausage, sweet potato, onion, pepper and kale hash sauteed in 1/2 tsp of coconut oil, with half an apple and a tbs of cashew butter.

Lunch is going to be jerk shrimp with melon/jalapeno salsa and guacamole.  Dinner is going to be leftover African chicken cashew stew over sauteed spinach and pumpkin/banana puree with coconut afterwards (I don't want to call it dessert!).

What's everyone else eating today?

So wait...this is Day 4, right?  This is supposed to be the day where I want to kill everyone and everything?  Why do I feel totally great and friendly?  :D

I've now cooked everything I bought over the weekend and am now working off yummy leftovers for the rest of the week.  I think I've been doing a good job of giving myself enough food...haven't been ravenous yet at all.  Breakfast was a homemade sausage, sweet potato, onion, pepper and kale hash sauteed in 1/2 tsp of coconut oil, with half an apple and a tbs of cashew butter.

Lunch is going to be jerk shrimp with melon/jalapeno salsa and guacamole.  Dinner is going to be leftover African chicken cashew stew over sauteed spinach and pumpkin/banana puree with coconut afterwards (I don't want to call it dessert!).

Mmmm...cashew chicken...I'm going to have to make that! Right now I'm having breakfast: 2 hb egg salad w/ homemade mayo, olives, raw red peppers & cherry tomatoes, and a small orange. I made tea for the first time this a.m. instead of coffee, and this brew is soooo good (and it's caffeinated)!! May be able to ditch the coffee after all.

Lunch is a hamburger patty I made with mushrooms and onions, topped with carmelized onions and homemade mayo, salad with avocado dressing and mango salsa, and some olives. Dinner is undecided but my fridge is stocked with food so I just have to put something together!

Happy Thursday everyone!

Debbie, try drinking more water before and after dinner. That usually helps with hunger. It may be that you are thirsty. I also find brushing my teeth shortly after dinner helps with the hunger b/c to me it signals I'm going to bed and won't eat anymore. Once your mind and body get used to the 3 solid meals and more water it will start to adjust the mental hunger signals.

CharDoll, believe it or not, but water is all I drink. From the time I get up until I go back to bed. I easily drink 70-80 oz. every day.  :) I've been doing that for the better part of 2 years. I'll occasionally have a glass/cup of tea, but not very often. I'll also drink kombucha about once a week or so.

I think the hunger thing at night is just years of habit that will eventually wear away. I think I will start brushing my teeth right after dinner though. That might help too. Thanks. 

I know exactly what you mean! Day 4 and I feel great! :D

This morning I made breakfast for my husband and I, which was turkey sausage; eggs fried in ghee; and butternut squash "pudding", which is just a squash pie recipe without the sugar or pie crust, and I subbed out the whole milk for coconut milk. Yummy! For lunch we went to our favorite Italian place, and I had a house salad with grilled chicken. No cheese or croutons. As I mentioned earlier, tonight we're going to our favorite steak house, so I'll have a New York Strip and endless salad bar, eating only compliant items.  :) 

Probably showing my age here, but does anyone else hear "The Navigator"s voice when they type Compliant? :lol:  

CharDoll, believe it or not, but water is all I drink. From the time I get up until I go back to bed. I easily drink 70-80 oz. every day.  :) I've been doing that for the better part of 2 years. I'll occasionally have a glass/cup of tea, but not very often. I'll also drink kombucha about once a week or so.

I think the hunger thing at night is just years of habit that will eventually wear away. I think I will start brushing my teeth right after dinner though. That might help too. Thanks. 

Debbie, I've started drinking Rooibos tea when I crave a snack. It's quite flavorful, has no caffeine (so no energy roller coaster) and really satisfies my hunger for quite a while. 

--------

- Feeling determined: Going to start day 5 with my first 10k while on the Whole30 adventure - 

Hi everyone!!

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading all of your posts and am so proud of all of us for doing this! I know I am a little late to the party, but my boyfriend and I also started the Whole30 on the 17th. Today is day 4, and I feel fantastic. I have had a few headaches on days 2-3, but other than that, I'm weirdly anticipating feeling horrible! :wacko:

Anyways, I have always thought it would be great to post to a support group for a "diet" like this but never have. I have heard so many wonderful things about the support and after reading the daily emails, I said why not.

I am 26, and have struggled with weight my whole life. Recently I started doing CrossFit and have loved/hated every second of it. :lol:  My box started this challenge, and well, here I am! I am really looking forward to talking and sharing with all of you!!

Day 4 almost done!! :D

Hi I am just checking in too. I am doing pretty well. The only issue I had was a headache day 1 and another one today but not as severe. Also I was very hungry at the end of my day before dinner and ate more cashews than I should have but I got it together.

Day 5! 

Things are going pretty well.  Yesterday I went grocery shopping hungry!  Big mistake.  But stayed to my list.  I knew I was having a yummy dinner once I was home so it helped.  I am feeling pretty good but am feeling tired still in the afternoons.  I have been going to bed pretty early, but have a sick toddler that is waking up during the night.  Not use to being up that many times at night.  I hope once he feels better that I will be getting some good sleep. 

Keep up the good work everyone!  

Archived