NOW Super Enzymes - read tons of posts and still confused!

discoveringmyultimate

Sorry to ask something that has been asked before, but I've been reading forum posts for days trying to figure out the answer and I'm still lost!

ARE NOW FOODS SUPER ENZYMES WHOLE30 COMPLIANT - today, in Feb 2014?

Here's the link for the ones I'm looking at: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Y8AT0O/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2636VLZ4TIHSX

I've included the safety info and ingredients. These are the ones WITHOUT milk (yay), but I wasn't sure aobut the  "Calcium carbonate, stearic acid (vegetable source), croscarmellose sodium, magnesium stearate (vegetable source) and tablet coating" at the end of the ingredient list. I am sorry, but I don't know what those things are. There is no mention of sulfites, but I didn't know if I could assume there aren't any because they aren't listed in the ingredient list?

I guess my question is just: Can I take these? I've had some recurring stomach issues for the last month and I'm concerned they might get worse initially when I start my Whole30. If they contain sulfites, is that so bad I shouldn't take them? (Also, how could I know whether they're naturally occurring sulfites or not?) These enzymes seem to be the most recommended on the forum BY FAR and so that's why I'd prefer to try them over others, but if you have some other recommendations, I'm happy to look into those instead!

Safety Information
Contains no sugar, salt, yeast, wheat, gluten, soy, milk, egg, shellfish or preservatives.

Ingredients
Betaine HCl 200 mg Pancreatin 4X Supplying: Amylase 20,000 USP units Protease 20,000 USP units Lipase 3,400 USP units* 200 mg Papain (2M USP units/mg) 50 mg Cellulase (1M FCC units/g) 10 mg Ox Bile Extract (45% Cholic Acid) 100 mg Pepsin Enzymes (NF 1:10M units) 50 mg Bromelain (2400 GDU) (from Pineapple) 50 mg Papaya Powder 45 mg * Calcium carbonate, stearic acid (vegetable source), croscarmellose sodium, magnesium stearate (vegetable source) and tablet coating.

Thank you for your help!

• Moderators

Tom, what is the noncompliant ingredient? I just bought these too...

Here is a link to the Now Foods site. This is probably the current formula: http://www.nowfoods.com/Super-Enzymes-180-Capsules.htm

The problem here is "Contains sulfites. May contain lactose (milk) as a processing aid." in the Other Ingredients section. 

• Moderators

Is there a brand that someone can recommend that is compliant?

We learned the hard way not to recommend a brand. Now Foods used to be compliant and then they changed the formula. You have to check ingredients yourself. To start looking for one, I would start with those listed in this article:

http://whole9life.com/2012/09/digestive-enzymes-101/

We learned the hard way not to recommend a brand. Now Foods used to be compliant and then they changed the formula. You have to check ingredients yourself. To start looking for one, I would start with those listed in this article:

http://whole9life.com/2012/09/digestive-enzymes-101/

So I looked at the products in this link.

One product recommended had Rice bran in it...so wouldnt' that make it noncompliant?

And another had vegetable oil powder....isn't that non compliant?

So I looked at the products in this link.

One product recommended had Rice bran in it...so wouldnt' that make it noncompliant?

And another had vegetable oil powder....isn't that non compliant?

Like Tom said products change their ingredients. That blog post is over a year old it looks like. Hopefully some people who are currently taking something compliant will chime in. 

Just curious, if I used the non-compliant NOW Digestive Enzymes every day during my Whole30, is it possible it could have drastically affected my restults/health? I immediately stopped taking them this morning when I read this forum post. I completed my first Whole30 Jan. 30 and am now 6 days into my second.

Just curious, if I used the non-compliant NOW Digestive Enzymes every day during my Whole30, is it possible it could have drastically affected my restults/health? I immediately stopped taking them this morning when I read this forum post. I completed my first Whole30 Jan. 30 and am now 6 days into my second.

Probably not drastically but changing to a compliant of leaving them out for the rest of your 2nd round certainly can't hurt. Your first is done and dusted, no need to stress about it now. Just keep being diligent about label reading as you move forward.

• 1 month later...

I  ordered Integrative Therapuetics Similase VCaps on Amazon.com. The "other ingredients" are vegetable capsule (modified cellulose) and cellulose.

http://www.amazon.com/Integrative-Therapeutics-Similase-180-VCaps/dp/B001N1DHOG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395525769&sr=8-1&keywords=integrative+therapeutics+digestive+enzymes

I'm kind of upset that they don't have the HCL, papain, and ox bile like Now does. With the Prime 2-day shipping I was supposed to get it yesterday but did not.  It didn't arrive today either, so probably Monday.

Archived