My Doctor agreed with me!?!?!

I had a physical today. I had to get blood work for my thyroid, cholesterol, and diabetes (don't have). On top of that, I am at the tail end of a debilitating flare-up. Unfortunately, that happens more than I would like. Anyway, she asked why I wasn't on cholesterol medicine and asked what I was doing to reduce the flare-ups. I wanted to be direct and say paleo. I refrained. Most doctors don't support it and I have been trying to manage that lifestyle since way before it became a fad. I didn't want to alarm her. So I told her that I didn't eat grains, sugar, or dairy. she responded, "great job!" WHAT?!?!?! I was so grateful that she agreed!! This was very triumphant for me  to hear her agree. I've heard so many horror stories where the physician doesn't approve of that lifestyle or blames positive changes on other factors rather than on a healthy diet (usually medicine or a medical miracle). I was literally sitting there and holding my breath and waiting for a negative response. I was waiting for her to tell me that grains were good for digestion and for my heart. She never did. She responded with an encouraging "great job" instead. 

I just made an appointment with a Naturopath. I haven't been to a doctor in my entire adult life. I found her through my insurances website because I knew I wanted a naturopath for my PCP. On the phone while I was making the appointment, she asked if I had any other questions for her, and I said flat out "I follow a paleo diet, are you supportive of that?" and she replied that while she doesn't follow it herself or necessarily suggest it to patients, good for me for being able to stick with it, there's nothing wrong with the diet in principal because I'm just getting my nutrients from different sources than grains and legumes. I was happy enough with that response. I didn't really need a doctor who thought paleo was the best diet ever, just one that wouldn't actively try to discourage me from it/would be supportive and recognize the benefits of it for me.

• Moderators

After hearing how anti-paleo or simply uninformed so many doctors are, I was concerned about telling my doctor I was doing this as well, but she had heard of paleo and even knew another doctor who eats paleo, and I loaned her a copy of ISWF and told her I'd like to get her opinion on it. She didn't know a whole lot about paleo, but had heard of it, and seemed open to learning about it, which is really fine with me. Like Vian, I don't care if she thinks it's the best diet ever, but it would be nice if she could be supportive. 

Archived