J6 Reintro Thread

mk_hammer

Ok, so I'm a little late in updating. On Wednesday, I reintro'd non-gluten grains. I had quinoa, rice pasta, and corn. I did notice that I felt a little bloated yesterday, and I had CRAZY food dreams the night before (for the first time in a few weeks). I had some stomach pain, but like I said, it's hard to tell if that's due to my lack of gall bladder or something else.

I can say that I didn't really enjoy the foods that I reintro'd, and I can definitely do without them on a regular basis. I will likely treat these foods like any other restricted food and just have them on rare occasions. I don't want to designate a cheat meal or cheat day or anything like that; that just gives me an excuse to treat my body badly. I'm going to keep on keeping on with compliant eating as much as possible, and then when things like holidays or birthdays or book clubs come around, I'll indulge a little and not obsess over it.

I'm so glad y'all are all sticking around! It's great to have a support group.

Yay, Friday!!!!! Steak night at our house. :D

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well said mk_hammer. It needs to become a lifestyle. Just spurge on special occasions. The cheat day can become a cheat week, month, vacation, etc.

Feeling better today after eating clean yesterday. Tomorrow doing gluten. Again, don't think I really need it- just want to confirm everything with this being my first W30.

Carry on everyone- love having this group! Thanks everyone for sharing.

Mk- what time is dinner? :)

Happy Friday!  Checking in from frigid Omaha.  Had a minor operation on my toe yesterday so was hobbling around, but stayed compliant.  Every time (well, almost every time), I put food on my plate I think how beautiful it looks!  So healthy and colorful.  Fills up my spirit as well as my stomach.  I bought a pkg of frozen collard greens the other day and sometimes it tastes okay and sometimes it's really bitter.  Any southerners know what I should/could do to it to make it more tasty? 

Bacon? I have no idea, actually, I've not made collard greens even though I'm an adopted Southerner.

I'm putting my legume reintro off till Sunday, since I'm going out with friends tonight and staying over. I didn't want to cart along a bunch of food.

Happy Friday! Checking in from frigid Omaha. Had a minor operation on my toe yesterday so was hobbling around, but stayed compliant. Every time (well, almost every time), I put food on my plate I think how beautiful it looks! So healthy and colorful. Fills up my spirit as well as my stomach. I bought a pkg of frozen collard greens the other day and sometimes it tastes okay and sometimes it's really bitter. Any southerners know what I should/could do to it to make it more tasty?

Toni- sautée them in some bacon grease. Fresh greens make good "chips". You can boil them with some pork & add a jalapeño.

I agree with how beautiful the meals are with color & texture. I have to resist taking a picture of EVERYTHING & posting it to FB & then enduring the wrath of my friends.

I'm a native Californian- married to a southerner. Also try searching Pinterest for more suggestions. Usually anything with spinach, kale collard, mustard greens can all be subbed. Enjoy!!

greetings J6er- reintro team. So finally had a glass of red wine last night- go figure, I didn't sleep all that well. Bummer. Well, guess I will limit the  mommy juice from here on out.  I have felt fine since non- gluten grains on Wednesday. My only thought was that I was more hungry after having gluten free carb so possibly my blood sugar bumps up a bit more?  anyway, I think I plan on limiting non gluten grains to 1 time a day, if at all.  Tomorrow is dairy day.  Hoping that will go well, I miss the grass fed butter! I am going out to a nice Italian restaurant tomorrow night… there will be cheese! Interesting to note that so many of us( toni,rhed,Jan2014..) are gallbladder free. I had mine out 15 years ago, the typical "fair, fat &40" profile.  Happy to say I am no longer fat thanks to paleo lifestyle, and far from 40! I always blamed bloating and GI problems on the gallbladder ( lack of) but once gluten was banished most of those symptoms disappeared. Go figure..  Carry on team!

Dairy reintro report: cream in my coffee= headache. Yogurt for lunch and cheese with dinner. Felt fine. Glass of milk after dinner, then omg horrible, stinky gas!

2 days clean eating since then. Now to try gluten grains. There will be bday cake (hmm...) and a beer! Enjoy your weekend!

So I failed in my legume reintroduction yesterday so I am doing it today Yesterday was too busy and I didn't have a chance to make my chili. So I am making it today for tonight's dinner. 

I did have peanut butter with a banana yesterday before working out and I had no reaction and I performed really well in my morning workout--didn't feel bloated or anything. So I think, at the very least, peanut butter is ok. But of course it slows weight loss, so I am probably not going to buy it frequently.

Also, loving watching the Olympics!!

I found you!!! :D  I'm a little slow on the up take here....no re-intro for me. I am continuing on W60...I have learned WAY too many times what my body rejects. So if you don't mind I'll tag along with you guys...I feel like we graduated moving down the Forum page...pretty cool! I'm still trying to find a "more" compliant than "not" breath mint. Any suggestions??? I have also significantly cut back on my coffee consumption. I look forward to reading your posts...and see how the re-intro goes.    

So intro on gluten was ok. I think this is something I can generally do without. I really don't miss bread all that much. I have found goods subs for pasta, rice etc.

Found this great site for paleo freezer meals. http://jamkatspaleo.wordpress.com/2014/01/12/paleo-slow-cooker-freezer-meals

Going forward, I think I will limit carb dense veggies as I want to drop a little more weight. I have bumped up my workouts. Feeling really good..

I am excited about doing a 2nd W30 after my trip to Atlanta. I will be doing it with a friend that has MS. I will be doing some teaching/sharing classes with recipes that I have found. She has MS- her hubby is diabetic. We have a few other friends that have other medical issues that will join us for the "cookouts". Now I have to get organized & decide what to cook each week!

Glad to hear we are carrying on & doing well. Here's to good health- spread the word!!

On my "wheat" day, I felt a sugar spike and then crash and stomach ache after eating homemade lemon muffins.  Then I realized that adding SUGAR to the muffins (silly rabbit!!!) complicated the results. (Ah well, at least I know that processed flour and sugar combos are surely off my list.)

Then for lunch, the unexpected. I had compliant meatballs and red sauce over pasta.  The pasta didn't taste like ANYTHING. Boring and bland.  I kept spicing up the dish, nothing.  The next day I had the same meatballs and sauce over spaghetti squash.  And guess what?? DELICIOUS. Like a party in my mouth.

Dinner was a compliant chicken salad in a whole wheat tortilla.  Again, the tortilla didn't really taste like much, but I didn't feel blech like I did after the muffins.

After my ten days of reintros, I will do a wheat day again.  So I can pay attention to wheat without sugar knocking me out!

Well. I jumped off the deep end on Saturday night and ordered pizza because I couldn't stand the thought of cooking.

So I decided to use that as my gluten reintro.

Had leftover pizza for breakfast Sunday, and then felt like crap afterward -- emotionally, that is. I wanted to crawl into bed and bury my head, cry, or sleep -- not normal for a Sunday morning, at least lately (ie, since W30ing). Made myself get moving and went to the store.

I didn't even try to find anything without sugar -- knew that would be practically impossible -- and I didn't want to buy a box of pasta or something that I'd have sitting around to use up. I ended up in the cereal aisle because I needed raisins, and I found frosted shredded wheat in a single-serving bowl. So I got that to go with my lunch.

It didn't seem to affect me as much as the pizza, as I didn't take a nap yesterday and I had enough energy to do laundry, cook dinner, iron clothes (!), and read.

So my verdict is, gluten is OK in small doses, but I shouldn't bomb myself with pizza.

Legumes coming up on Wednesday!

Sorry for not updating this weekend!

So, I did my gluten reintro day on Saturday. I had a whole wheat English muffin, flour tortillas, and a VitaTops muffin.

An aside--are we supposed to be eating "clean" foods that also contain a prohibited ingredient? Because I couldn't find any gluten-containing foods that were clean. Granted, I didn't look very hard, but still...

So yesterday was the Day After Gluten. I felt AWFUL. I was in the WORST mood, and my sinuses were messed up. I also had a slamming headache, but I'm attributing that to not having coffee yesterday morning. Note to others--do not refrain from coffee the day after you reintro anything.

Needless to say, it seems that I'll be avoiding gluten as much as possible. It's hard to know whether everything I experienced can be attributed to gluten, but it's hard to ignore feeling like crap the day after reintroducing something you haven't had in over a month.

Was going to reintro legumes today, but I didn't plan properly, so I don't have any legumes to reintro! A trip to the store for peanut butter and beans is in order.

Glad we're still keeping up here! Let's keep on rockin', y'all. :)

An aside--are we supposed to be eating "clean" foods that also contain a prohibited ingredient? Because I couldn't find any gluten-containing foods that were clean. Granted, I didn't look very hard, but still...

You do the best you can. It sounds like the first two items were good. The last could be a bit iffy, as the VitaTops muffins contain soy. 

If you're unsure whether you reacted to gluten or soy, you may want to retest gluten again at some point.  Maybe have a soy test day first, and see how you do?

I think we're supposed to aim for as-compliant-as-possible-except-the-reintro-ingredient. Which is really difficult unless you're making everything from scratch, at home. My goal shopping for reintro stuff (rice noodles, shredded wheat, ice cream) was as few ingredients as possible, and preferably things I could pronounce.

Hi Everyone!

May I jump on this wonderful thread bandwagon?  I am 6 days behind you (Jan 12), so today is dairy.  I had a whey protein smoothie (I know, this is my first smoothie!), because I wanted to see how whey affects me.  I also put a little bit of half and half in my coffee, and boy was it delicious!!!  Listening carefully to my body now.  I plan on a little bit of ice cream (whole ingredient ice cream) later today.  Gluten on Friday.  Although I want to follow the reintroduction protocol, I don't see myself deviating much from W30.  I felt great from day 6 on.  This plan allowed me to stop obsessively logging/weighing/measuring my food (it was becoming a real head game problem for me), and also I am free from the scale for the first time in forever.  I didn't lose any weight which normally would have sent me into a spiral even though I am not overweight ~ I know sounds crazy. I feel strong and healthy and empowered.  At this point even though I am on day one of reintro, the only thing I really hope works for me is peanut butter ~ ha!!  I enjoy sunbutter in its place, but sunbutter is a little pricey.

Sure, shanfun11! The more the merrier. :D

I'm doing my legume reintro tomorrow. Gonna make plantain nachos from Well Fed 2 so I can have refried beans with them at lunch tomorrow. I don't know if I'll end up doing beans tomorrow night, as it's still up in the air if I will have electricity thanks to the ice storm rolling in tonight.

(I have leftover scotch eggs from lunch today, and canned tuna and sardines and stuff I can eat if I don't have electricity. I actually prepared for this storm.)

Did non gluten grains today. Not a good day for that. I have jury duty & sitting all day with some digestive issues was no fun. Again this is something I can do without on a regular basis & just have once in a while. I'm with you shanfun I hope peanuts are ok, but from past experience I think it will be only a once in a while thing too.

Glad everyone is doing well & carrying on. Here's to good health to all!

Hi team! :) As I finished ahead of you, I have done my re-intros and just jumped back into another whole30 today.

I went on vacation after finishing my last whole30 on Jan 25th. I did some (planned) off-roading and as usual, I had no immediate ill effects from grains, gluten, milk or anything. But after 10 days of pretty good eating but with almost daily off-roading I my stomach started feeling iffy (I have ulcerative colitis) which confirmed to me that while I have no allergies, I do have a gut permeability/autoimmune inflammation issue and need to be pretty strict always. The last 4 days of the trip I stayed whole30 complient and almost immediately felt better. Now after two nights of chocolate, I look forward to another clean month again. :)

Happy eating!

I had no effects Monday and yesterday after reintroducing non gluten grains on Sunday.

Today I reintroduced dairy. Parmesan and gouda cheese, a small cappuccino and a tiny portion of dark chocolate mousse, which tasted really sweet, almost too sweet for me.

No effects yet. I have to say I was almost in happy tears when I tasted parmesan again, it was so good and I missed it soo much.

I am planning on reintroducing soy sauce on Saturday when we will be going for Mongolian BBQ.

Archived