Can I have cottonseed oil?

mskapaldo

I am on Day 8 on the Whole30 and I am pretty determined not to mess up, so far it is going well.  I read my ingredients very carefully and if in doubt or do not see an ingredient list, I just do not consume it just to be sure.  Anyway, my question is that I've read the official "Can I have..." Guide to Whole30 Program and I do not see cottonseed oil listed anywhere. I see canola oil as yes but reluctantly but not cottonseed oil. Is cottonseed oil part of the vegetable oils?  My work has some cashews as snacks and the ingredients are: Cashews, salt and cottonseed oil. I immediately put it back and didn't eat it. 

Can someone tell me if cottonseed is a semi-compliant food just like canola and vegetable oils? 

• Moderators

Cottonseed oil is not banned, but I would not eat cashews roasted in cottonseed oil unless I had gone without eating at least 12 hours. :)

Whether cottonseed oil is bad for you or not is hardly discussed in the literature, but here is a fun fact: In an agricultural context, the toxicity of cottonseed oil may be considered beneficial: Oils, including vegetable oils, have been used for centuries to control insect and mite pests.[24] This oil has been generally considered the most insecticidal of vegetable oils.[24]

They use cottonseed oil to control insects. I do not want to eat such stuff. 

• 5 months later...

Just bumping this as I too was looking for info on cottonseed oil, first time I've come across it here in Ireland, but it's on the sultanas we have and I was going to add them to my coleslaw to pep it up. Yay or nay?

And now I have "cotton-eye joe" awful song in my head!

Archived