Whole30, reflux/gerd and reintroduction

Colbyjq

I felt pretty great during my whole 30- never got my burst of energy, but I was headache and reflux free for 20+ days and that for me was life changing.

During my 30 days, my gerd symptoms were completely gone, even if I skipped my prescription meds and despite eating foods that I always thought caused my reflux (spicy, citrus, etc). Now that I've started reintroduction (dairy and gluten so far) I have KILLER heartburn that won't go away even when eating things that were fine during my whole30. I feel like even water is causing me to reflux. I didn't necessarily want to live whole30 forever but right now I feel like my options are feel like crap all day every day or live strict whole30 :/

Anyone with gerd have similar results or advice?

What order did you reintroduce in and did you start feeling bad directly after your first introduction? Did you wait until you felt better again to continue introducing? If one (or both) of those are triggers for you it might take a few days of compliant eating to feel good again. How many days into your W30 did you stop having reflux?

I did dairy first, then gluten 3 days later.

Not sure when it happened during my whole 30. I was SOOO sick with carb flu the first week I didn't monitor anything else. I'd probably say somewhere between day 7 & 10 was when the reflux stopped.

So is this understanding correct:

Day 10-30 (maybe longer) - no symptoms

Day 31 - greek yogurt - symptoms (did you add more dairy that day or just that?)

Day 32 - W30 - no symptoms

Day 33 - dark chocolate + W30 - symptoms

Day 34 - gluten - symptoms

Day 35-what day are you on numbering this way - W30 -symptoms

If this is correct it sounds like gluten might be your biggest culprit and may take 7-10 days to clear out of your system again based on your initial results. I would advice sticking to W30 until you feel better. Try the dark chocolate again (try to get the same thing) and go back to W30 until you feel better. Try the gluten again and go back to the W30 until you feel better. You obviously reacted to the yogurt as well (full fat?) but it seemed like a milder reaction as you recovered the next day. Knowing the relative impact of your reactions will help you answer the "Is it worth it?" question as you move forward. So if gluten gives you heartburn for 7-10 days afterwords you may not ever think it is worth it. Or you might decide your mother's homemade apple pie that she makes once a year is worth it but not much else. Does that all make sense?

Wheat, and wheat alone gives me INCREDIBLE heartburn and reflux.  I've got a hiatal hernia and have been diagnosed with GERD/Reflux.  When I started dabbling in paleo eating, I was astounded that my reflux completely vanished within a day of removing wheat from my diet.  The moment a piece of bread touches my lips, I'm in heartburn agony for hours.

• 3 weeks later...

This is good to hear.  I'm still in the midst of my whole 30.  I have pretty bad reflux as well--I had a huge hiatal hernia repaired when I had sleeve gastrectomy (weight loss surgery) a couple of years ago.  I pretty much expected to have this all my life--sleeve surgery has a tendency to give people acid problems, so I was already behind the eight ball.  I have found that my symptoms lessened big time.  I have to remind myself to take my meds instead of being reminded by my body.   It's amazing.

Archived