Who wants to start on February 9th with me??

Carmen Cosentino

On Sunday I'm starting my first Whole30. I'm excited and nervous. I've been doing my research, but would love the motivational support from others. I've been looking up new recipes and can't wait to try new foods. I'm hoping to get the energy I need to train for a marathon and half Ironman from the Whole30 plan. Ready, Set, Go!!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just finished one a few days ago, but I LOVE the way I feel! I would love to do another with you!

I recomment the books Well Fed and Well Fed 2!  Both are FILLED with whole30 compliant meals. Everything in the book is grain free, dairy free, soy free, legume free

:) And marathon... man... I envy you. No matter the shape I am in.. I will never be a runner!

I was planning on starting Monday, but I like the idea of doing this with others so I am IN!! I am actually putting my whole family through this (husband and 4 kids, ages ranging from 8 to 4 months). I'm hoping that it works well for all of us, especially the children as they are very use to snacking :( I have already cleaned out my cupboards and have Well Fed and Well Fed 2. My husband and I are also planning on starting a workout regimen during our whole30 ( I desperately crave more energy). Any suggestions on how to make this as painless as possible for the kiddies? And should I go all in for them or half and half? 

I started today (8/2/2014) so I'd like to join.too.  I'm cooking my first dinner as I type.  I wasn't exactly ready (I hadn't planned my meals) so it was a rough start this morning.  But I spent that day on several websites getting ideas and I'm feeling little more confident.  

Good luck to all of you.  Sara S.

I was planning on starting Monday, but I like the idea of doing this with others so I am IN!! I am actually putting my whole family through this (husband and 4 kids, ages ranging from 8 to 4 months). I'm hoping that it works well for all of us, especially the children as they are very use to snacking :( I have already cleaned out my cupboards and have Well Fed and Well Fed 2. My husband and I are also planning on starting a workout regimen during our whole30 ( I desperately crave more energy). Any suggestions on how to make this as painless as possible for the kiddies? And should I go all in for them or half and half? 

Check out the kids forum, there are a lot of great discussions in there.  Expect the first week to be REALLY hard.  Our daughter didn't eat much of anything (4yrs old).  She just didn't like it so she opted to not eat; you will probably get some of that.  Snacking rules do NOT apply for kiddos though, so as long as it's compliant, let them eat whenever they are hungry!  Just make sure they are snacking on wholesome, energizing foods like protein and fat and veggies.  Don't let them snack on fruits and nuts.  It's hard but totally worth it to do this with your kiddos!

I'd love to join in with you guys. :D I tried to do a whole30 through January, but ate a cupcake on day 26! Couldn't believe it. Anyway I'm really keen to give it another go and be more prepared this time. I feel as though I never really got into the swing of it. I think having a group to do it with would be great too. I'm in New Zealand so have already started, I hope everyone is feeling excited about the month ahead. Oh I'd totally recommend the Well Fed books too, they're great!  

I'm starting my first Whole30 on Monday Feb. 9th too!!!  Making my grocery list today and heading out.  Need to get a good plan for the week. Printed out everything I need and am still reading the book.  Nervous but committed!!  My family isn't doing it with me....hubby has no interest and the kids would never do this. lol   That will be the hard thing...having to deal with "their food" and doing mine too. 

And we're off... I woke up STARVING this morning. I ran 16 miles yesterday and naturally my body was in what I like to call post run bottom-less pit mode. Last night I went to a hockey game with a friend, even though I hadn't "officially" started the W30, I did a trial with with dining out. We went to a burger place, which was good, my body was craving meat. I offered my burger but forgot to tell them no cheese or no bun. I wiped the cheese off as best as I could and used lettuce to wrap my burger. I could actually enjoy the flacors of the burger without the flavors of the bun taking over. I topped my burger was avacado, mmm delish. When we left, I was satisfied. I didn't feel like I typcially do after eating a burger, lethargic or craving something sweet.

Meal 1: DONE! This morning I had a HUGE breakfast because I know after burning so many calories, I had some making up to do. I have 2 scrambled organic omega 3 eggs with a sauteed kale, red and green peppers and fresh salsa and a side of chicken sausage (no nitrates, ingredients: ground chicken and peppers, salt). Even though the sausage had salt, considering how many electrolytes I lost yesterday, it was ok.

Now onto more meal planing then grocery shopping. What's everyone cooking tonight? I'm thinking of doing something in the crockpot, maybe bison chili served with veggies?

So this is day 3 for me.  I had trouble sleeping last night but I think it was the giant cup of Earl Grey and not the Whole 30.  So besides that I've been feeling ok until about 1PM today.  I had a major crash.  I have suffered bouts of hypoglycemia in the past and this was definite it.  But it only lasted about two hours and now I feel fine.  I've switch to herbal tea for today.

The thing I am really struggling with is snacking.  I think I'm not eating enough at meals.  Normally my go to protein snack is dairy so I just don't know what to eat - hard boiled eggs?  Any suggestions?

Oh yes, I'm in France anybody else from Europe on this forum.

The thing I am really struggling with is snacking.  I think I'm not eating enough at meals.  Normally my go to protein snack is dairy so I just don't know what to eat - hard boiled eggs?  Any suggestions?

Play with your protein, veg and fat portions at meals so that you have 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies and the appropriate amount of compliant fat until your meals satiate you for 4-5 hours. This is consistent with the recommended meal template.

In the meantime, if you are genuinely hungry in between meals (hungry = you could eat steamed fish and broccoli), have a mini meal that contains a protein and fat.

Some ideas:

- hard boiled egg and a handful of compliant olives

- compliant prosciutto and a closed handful of nuts

- sardines with a side of sliced avocado

- tuna, chicken or salmon salad made with homemade mayo

I started my whole 30 yesterday too. After having had the gastric Bypass RNY ten years ago, I have gained nearly all 140 lbs lost back. I am looking forward to eating the way I should, not the way my brain is programmed by culture. My kids and husband are attempting this with me, just with much less gusto. My 4 yr old out right refuses to eat, but what I've read, that's common. Now if only I could control what they get at Daycare!

Day 2, so far so good. I ran 11 miles yesterday and my body is definitely telling me it's hungry! The hardest part for me is going to figure out how much to eat at each meal, especially after long runs/bike rides, hard workouts. Last night I grilled up some chicken for the week and made turkey meatballs (delicious). Meal prepping makes it easier to make healthy, good choices when in a hurry and hungry :-) 

Does anyone have any suggestions? I think I'm going to be eating dinner tonight @5 for 2 reasons, 1. I'm going to a basketball game tonight and want to avoid any tempations/slip ups. 2, I'm STARVING!!! 

How's everyone doing so far? 

Day 2, so far so good. I ran 11 miles yesterday and my body is definitely telling me it's hungry! The hardest part for me is going to figure out how much to eat at each meal, especially after long runs/bike rides, hard workouts. Last night I grilled up some chicken for the week and made turkey meatballs (delicious). Meal prepping makes it easier to make healthy, good choices when in a hurry and hungry :-) 

Does anyone have any suggestions? I think I'm going to be eating dinner tonight @5 for 2 reasons, 1. I'm going to a basketball game tonight and want to avoid any tempations/slip ups. 2, I'm STARVING!!! 

How's everyone doing so far? 

Do you have a copy of the meal template? For training like you are doing I would suggest eat on the upper end of the template and don't forget the pre and post workout meals. Remember those are bonus. Above all if you are hungry you should eat. I would suggest taking a compliant mini meal to the basketball game tonight just in case. 

I made it through the game without wanting or needing any snacks! Before I left for the game I ate grilled chicken, spinach, broccoli and a small sweet potato. It kept me full for the entire evening! This is HUGE for me, as usually after dinner I'll have at least 1 snack before bed.

At work we are doing a Secret Pal for Valentine's Day all week. We were able to fill out a sheet letting our pal know our likes. Instead of putting candy down, I politely stated how I enjoy motivational and inspirational quotes, and non-food items to keep me on track with training. I asked for herbal teas. So far my secret pal rocks, I got some awesome colored pens and a post-it notepad that says #dreambig in the corner.

This is going to be a challenging week for everyone, chocolate, candy, sweets are EVERYWHERE, stay strong and remember we are all here to support one another :-)  

Hi all! I also got started on Feb. 9th. This is a first official Whole 30 for me. I love to cook, and have dabbled with paleo principles before. The key for me will be to keep my fridge stocked and plan ahead for meals-to-go on days when I am running around NYC. Not to mention avoiding alcohol in a city that seems to drink it like water.

First couple of days went pretty well - I crashed around 6 PM yesterday on my way to the library, but found a packet of raw almonds to tide me over until I got home.

Looking forward to progressing through this with all of you!

Anybody have any great Whole30 soup ideas? Winter storm rolling in...again...!

Roasted a chicken and some root vegetables yesterday, which have served me well. I am *flying* through veggies, which I suppose is the point. Did an interval workout at the gym today and felt a little sluggish at first, but fine after the halfway point.

How is everyone else doing today? 

Hi !  I also started on Feb 9th.  It's all going pretty well so far.

After following a low fat diet for so long, eating ensuring I eat enough fat with each meal is interesting - thanks to the olive oil mayo I am getting there.

I am also missing chewing gum.  I used to have a piece of sugar-free gum after lunch and dinner, or a mint.  I am finding that to be an unexpectedly difficult habit to break.

Looking forward to hearing all your stories

The guys are supportive of me doing this, they just aren't sure about giving it all up. My oldsest keeps screaming for a cereal bar in the mornings. I guess I should get the husband to go along with the program because the boys were eating protien and a vegetable (or two) at all meals when I was home with them all the time.

Lately, I haven't been much interested in eating and not hungry at all. I completely skipped dinner last night without much thought. This morning, I tried to eat breakfast but felt like if I ate one more bite past bite 4 I was going to be sick. I wonder how everyone else is doing?

Woohoo we made it to Day 5!!! We got snow today so it's been a day off schedule but so far so good. I had a delicious veggie omelette this morning with black coffee brewed with cinnamon (discovered this in college, best way to add flavor without additives or calories :-)

Spent some time on my bike trainer doing intervals. Afterwards made a quick post WO snack. Canned pumpkin mixe with egg whites and sprinkled with cinnamon. Cooked in the microwave and BOOM delicious!

Lunch was a little late but ate grilled chicken and a turkey meatball over veggies. Kale and squash sautéed in coconut oil then added a dash of coconut milk at the end. Delicious, quick and easy :-)

Now to prepare for the weekend. This will be a challenge, but preparing in advance should help.

Tonight I'm planning on making bison butternut squash chili.

How's everyone doing? Keep it up, don't give into temptation and fuel your body with healthy nutritious food :-)

Archived