Who wants to start on February 9th with me??

Carmen Cosentino

I was out and about in the snow today, but thankful to have a good lunch and snacks on hand. Dinner tonight consisted of cleaning out the fridge by making a cabbage/carrot/celery/onion/pepper stir fry in coconut oil, and heating leftover roasted chicken in the [Whole30 approved!] pan gravy. I also steamed the one big sweet potato left on my shelf and made mashed potatoes with a little coconut milk, s&p. Since I was too lazy to trudge to Whole Foods in the snow, I ordered some Pure Indian Foods ghee from Amazon. Hurray!

Rounding out the evening with some chamomile tea. Hitting the grocery store tomorrow *for sure*

Anybody have thoughts on fending off friends who just want you to have a drink with them at all costs?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was out and about in the snow today, but thankful to have a good lunch and snacks on hand. Dinner tonight consisted of cleaning out the fridge by making a cabbage/carrot/celery/onion/pepper stir fry in coconut oil, and heating leftover roasted chicken in the [Whole30 approved!] pan gravy. I also steamed the one big sweet potato left on my shelf and made mashed potatoes with a little coconut milk, s&p. Since I was too lazy to trudge to Whole Foods in the snow, I ordered some Pure Indian Foods ghee from Amazon. Hurray!

Rounding out the evening with some chamomile tea. Hitting the grocery store tomorrow *for sure*

Anybody have thoughts on fending off friends who just want you to have a drink with them at all costs?

Alcohol and Happy Hours is really hard. You don't want to give up your social life, so here are some options. 1. Say you're driving 2. Tell your friends you are doing an experiment to figure out what foods are best for your body. 3. Ask them if they will be the first ones to celebrate with you when you can have your first drink again. For me I like to say that I'm avoiding alcohol while training for my marathon in March. I've done this in the past when I wasn't doing whole30 and my friends accepted it. You can still go to the bar, order a fun non-alcoholic drink :-)

It's day seven for me and I don't have any cravings.  I am still adjusting the amounts of food I eat and also the balance between protein, fat and vegetables.  

I know I have to let go of this but after years of dieting I just find that it seems like a lot of fat to eat.  Olive oil, avocado, and olives are my go-to fats.  I ordered some coconut oil on-line, I am in very small town in France, limited availability of the more exotic thing on the list.  Also, ordered coconut aminos, anyone tried that? 

I have been feeling pretty good, I am hoping that this helps my fibromyalgia pain but I haven't seen any help there as yet. I mean it is only day 7.  

It is interesting to read everyone take on their progress.  Keep up the good work,   Sara

It's day seven for me and I don't have any cravings.  I am still adjusting the amounts of food I eat and also the balance between protein, fat and vegetables.  

I know I have to let go of this but after years of dieting I just find that it seems like a lot of fat to eat.  Olive oil, avocado, and olives are my go-to fats.  I ordered some coconut oil on-line, I am in very small town in France, limited availability of the more exotic thing on the list.  Also, ordered coconut aminos, anyone tried that? 

I have been feeling pretty good, I am hoping that this helps my fibromyalgia pain but I haven't seen any help there as yet. I mean it is only day 7.  

It is interesting to read everyone take on their progress.  Keep up the good work,   Sara

Way to go! Sounds like you're off to a good start. I haven't had any cravings this week either, which is very unusual for me. I have limited my fruit intake and I think that has helped keep my sugar stable. I LOVE LOVE LOVE coconut oil. I started using it awhile ago after I went to Jamaica. It adds such good flavor. Experimenting with food is probably the hardest part.

For me personally, meat is a challenege. I realized I "didn't like" something mostly because I thought it was "unhealthy." For example, I never allowed myself to really enjoy red meats. I would have them ocassionally, but I mostly ate lean chicken and fish. Now when I go to the grocery store and see all of the meats, I don't just rush by them.

I would like some suggestions on different meats that people enjoy eating.

Happy Day 6 and Happy Valentine's Day!  share the love with your family and friends. Do something non-food realted, go for a walk together, play a game with your family, and smile because we're making life changes :-)

@Carmen  I'm a sucker for pork, have loved it forever.  I tried a recipe off the web that was just delicious.  One Pan Pork and Apple Fry  here is the link  http://www.wholefamilystrong.com/2012/01/03/pork-and-apple-one-pan-fry/

Next I'm going to try some beef stew with sweet potatoes, if I can find any beef broth without sugar.  

Also I just got Well Fed 2 in the mail today so I'm going to spend some time planning next week's meals.  Tomorrow is market day so I should get my planning done tonight.  

I really like to make roasts of meat. Not only are they delicious, they also yield leftovers that can be used in a variety of different ways. 

For a delicious beef roast, salt and pepper it, brown it on the stovetop, and then put it into a slow-cooker with some sliced onions, a 28 oz can of diced tomatoes. You can add some herbs (oregano, basil) if you'd like, and then just turn it on low ~8 hours, or high ~4-5 hours. Leftovers can be used in soup, stir fries, lettuce wraps, on top of spaghetti squash, etc.

For a straight up roasted chicken coat it with olive oil or melted ghee, salt and pepper. Stuff the cavity with lemon quarters and slices of onion. Roast at ~350 for 1-1.5 hours depending on the size of the bird. You can also toss cut root vegetables in the bottom of the roasting pan so that they cook in the juice of the bird (or you can roast them separately).

In terms of fish, I just made a broiled swordfish recipe last night that was super yummy. I mixed some olive oil, lemon juice, black pepper, oregano and basil and then coated the fish with the mixture. While the oven heated I let the swordfish just sit on the counter for a quick "marinating" period. Broiled it 6 minutes, then flipped it over and broiled for another 5 minutes. Came out perfectly!

I find that I am bad at incorporating organ meat into my diet. Sometimes I just find it easiest to buy pate at the store (good on cucumber rounds instead of crackers!). In the past I've made chili with ground meat, chopped liver, and lots of chopped veggies and chili seasoning. Can't even tell that there's liver in the dish.

Hope this is helpful!! ...I could never be a vegan :) 

I really like to make roasts of meat. Not only are they delicious, they also yield leftovers that can be used in a variety of different ways. 

For a delicious beef roast, salt and pepper it, brown it on the stovetop, and then put it into a slow-cooker with some sliced onions, a 28 oz can of diced tomatoes. You can add some herbs (oregano, basil) if you'd like, and then just turn it on low ~8 hours, or high ~4-5 hours. Leftovers can be used in soup, stir fries, lettuce wraps, on top of spaghetti squash, etc.

For a straight up roasted chicken coat it with olive oil or melted ghee, salt and pepper. Stuff the cavity with lemon quarters and slices of onion. Roast at ~350 for 1-1.5 hours depending on the size of the bird. You can also toss cut root vegetables in the bottom of the roasting pan so that they cook in the juice of the bird (or you can roast them separately).

In terms of fish, I just made a broiled swordfish recipe last night that was super yummy. I mixed some olive oil, lemon juice, black pepper, oregano and basil and then coated the fish with the mixture. While the oven heated I let the swordfish just sit on the counter for a quick "marinating" period. Broiled it 6 minutes, then flipped it over and broiled for another 5 minutes. Came out perfectly!

I find that I am bad at incorporating organ meat into my diet. Sometimes I just find it easiest to buy pate at the store (good on cucumber rounds instead of crackers!). In the past I've made chili with ground meat, chopped liver, and lots of chopped veggies and chili seasoning. Can't even tell that there's liver in the dish.

Hope this is helpful!! ...I could never be a vegan :)

Thanks for sharing! Seems like you have some great go to simply meat items.

Happy Day 8! Today I went out to brunch and I stayed on track. When they brought crossiants to the table, I didn't even crave one! I got a veggie omlette with a side of rotassaire ham. The restaruarant used only local and organic itmes. They even labeled GF items. I was satisfied and full until the evening! Later while shopping my sister stopped by the cupcake store and I didn't want anything! I love the energy I have :-)

Tonight I made bison sweet potato chili. mmmmm it was sooo delicious I had 2 bowl fulls! Pre-packed enough in containers to have reday for either lunch or a quick dinner. I also experimented wiht making egg muffins. I'll let you know how they taste tomorrow once I have one for breakfast :-)

What did you make this week that is worth sharing with the group?

Keep up the good work, onto a new week.

Thankfully had the time for an acupuncture appointment mid-afternoon! Running around the city later in the day I felt like I needed a snack, but upon encountering the definitely-not-Whole30 options in a drug store, I just figured I'd last until I got home for delicious Italian roasted beef leftovers. It worked! Had more craving for chocolate/snacky things today than I have had any other day...but I made it through! Tomorrow is a big happy hour with friends, and I'm planning on using some of the strategies shared earlier in this thread. 

Hope everyone is doing well. Can't wait to hear about your experiences!

woohoo it's day 10!! how is everyone planning on celebrating?

For me, I'm enjoying a delicious bowl of bison sweet potato chili for lunch :-)

Thankfully had the time for an acupuncture appointment mid-afternoon! Running around the city later in the day I felt like I needed a snack, but upon encountering the definitely-not-Whole30 options in a drug store, I just figured I'd last until I got home for delicious Italian roasted beef leftovers. It worked! Had more craving for chocolate/snacky things today than I have had any other day...but I made it through! Tomorrow is a big happy hour with friends, and I'm planning on using some of the strategies shared earlier in this thread. 

Hope everyone is doing well. Can't wait to hear about your experiences!

Good luck with the happy hour. When you're around a bunch of people, it's easy to get mixed in without drinking. Club soda with lime is good if you want to hold something in your hand besides a glass of plain water. If you're getting food, I recommend skimming the menu beforehand, sometimes they have veggies served with hummus (just eat the veggies, not hummus). I've also noticed many places have a gluten free menu, which you still have to be careful with because not everything is still W30 compliant.  Guacamole with veggies is a safe choice. 

I'm finding going out to restaurants is stressful. Any good tips anyone? 

I'm finding going out to restaurants is stressful. Any good tips anyone? 

Here's the Whole30 Dining Out Guide: http://whole9life.com/2012/11/dining-out-whole30/

I personally find places that cook to order and have gluten-menu menus to be your best best. Can't emphasize enough doing your homework ahead of time, as the article suggests.

Hey all. Just thought I would share an awesome breakfast with you! I had some chicken stock in the fridge, and was in the process of making some hard boiled eggs when I figured I would cook a batch of veggies up too. I sliced a zucchini into long thin strips (aka zucchini spaghetti, using a handy-dandy julienne blade peeler) and sauteed it in coconut oil with shaved strips of carrot, minced garlic, and a big handful of Trader Joe's colorful chard. Then added chicken stock and two hard boiled eggs...not a bad approximation of ramen noodles!! 

Thank you for the good info and motivation for tonight's happy hour!

I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing a lack of hunger. I got up this morning went into the kitchen and ate one (yes, one) macadamia nut and walked back out. Of course, I eventually made breakfast/meal 1 but I only ate it because I knew I must. I find this very strange. I didn't see this as something to expect. I dont even want to eat thing I can't have. Just wondering anyone finding eating actually hard to do? And it's not because I am cooking yucky food because I'll eat anything (except Lima beans and liver).

I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing a lack of hunger. I got up this morning went into the kitchen and ate one (yes, one) macadamia nut and walked back out. Of course, I eventually made breakfast/meal 1 but I only ate it because I knew I must. I find this very strange. I didn't see this as something to expect. I dont even want to eat thing I can't have. Just wondering anyone finding eating actually hard to do? And it's not because I am cooking yucky food because I'll eat anything (except Lima beans and liver).

Never mind, I went back and read the whole timeline. I'm just 8 days early, watch out for day 21 - food fatigue, that's what I got. Need to go buy something exotic to eat.

@Sara- I haven't experienced the "not hungry" feeling. I've actually been the complete opposite, I'm starving. I've been trying to eat more during my meals, but in between I'll have a snack. Right before bed I get really really hungry and then I can't sleep because I'm so hungry. Today I was EXHAUSTED! This is not like me. Usually I have a ton of energy. I've been getting more sleep now then I was before. Last week I slept great. This week not so much. Has anyone else had this exhausted feeling? I felt too fatigued to even work out today :-( I want my energy back.

Hi everyone. We are new. Day 2 of the program. My whole family is doing it and my 9 year old has been super excited and great about everything. She is hoping that this will help clear up the " chicken skin" bumps she has on the back of her arms.

The only thing we are struggling with is timing of meals. School has lunch early so she is hungry and wants snacks when she gets home.

I am allowing her more fruit then recommended but not to excessive.

I work out in the morning and can't do this on a full stomach so trying to figure this out still.

So far we love it and feel great.

Issues I see coming up are breakfast for my daughter. She will soon tire of eggs and just not eat.

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated!

I have had both feelings - the starving and the not hungry at all. I think the best strategy is to stick with the program to the extent possible. It won't kill you to miss a meal if you aren't hungry, but just be prepared with good snacks or good food for a later meal in the event that suddenly you're starving. As for the starving...I think if you're super hungry and it isn't just a passing craving then it's time to eat. Today was a weird day for me, and I had meals at weird times and more snacks than usual, but I stayed on track so I count that as a win.

I was exhausted late in the week last week. I took a couple of days off from the gym and made sure to eat good food and get big sleeps. It helped a lot. Make sure you listen to your bodies and count your victories! 

@Sara- I haven't experienced the "not hungry" feeling. I've actually been the complete opposite, I'm starving. I've been trying to eat more during my meals, but in between I'll have a snack. Right before bed I get really really hungry and then I can't sleep because I'm so hungry. Today I was EXHAUSTED! This is not like me. Usually I have a ton of energy. I've been getting more sleep now then I was before. Last week I slept great. This week not so much. Has anyone else had this exhausted feeling? I felt too fatigued to even work out today :-( I want my energy back.

Welcome! It's wonderful that your 9-year-old is on board. Repurposing leftovers for breakfast is always a good move. If you had, for instance, chicken and sweet potatoes you could make a hash type meal for breakfast...with or without an egg on top. Also...and yes I know this isn't Whole30 *ideal*, but it is still compliant...a banana with almond butter works wonders for a non-egg breakfast on the fly.

Hi everyone. We are new. Day 2 of the program. My whole family is doing it and my 9 year old has been super excited and great about everything. She is hoping that this will help clear up the " chicken skin" bumps she has on the back of her arms.
The only thing we are struggling with is timing of meals. School has lunch early so she is hungry and wants snacks when she gets home.
I am allowing her more fruit then recommended but not to excessive.
I work out in the morning and can't do this on a full stomach so trying to figure this out still.
So far we love it and feel great.
Issues I see coming up are breakfast for my daughter. She will soon tire of eggs and just not eat.

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated!

Hope everyone is off to a great start on the weekend. Here in New York it is sunny and about 50 degrees, so I'm about to head out for a run. I successfully made it through both a big happy hour and a dinner party potluck without partaking in alcohol, and without deviating from the plan. I was upfront with my friends about what I could and could not eat, and even easily said, "no, thank you" to some giant, homemade double-chocolate chip cookies. Thanks for all of the good tips on how to stay on track!

Cheers to a restful and healthy weekend!

Today was best day for me so far! I had enough energy to get everything accomplished I wanted to. I went to three grocery stores, but now I have everything I need for a successful week. Roasted a chicken tonight and have plans for bison chili tomorrow.

Today was best day for me so far! I had enough energy to get everything accomplished I wanted to. I went to three grocery stores, but now I have everything I need for a successful week. Roasted a chicken tonight and have plans for bison chili tomorrow.

I made bison sweet potato chili a week ago, it was delicious. Today I made Chocolate Chili from Well Fed 2. It was OUTSTANDING!

I mistakenly bought macadamia nuts today, they are sooooo good. I had 2 servings, possibly 3 :-/ I will need to separate them into small serving containers ASAP.

How was everyone's weekend?

Yum! Those chili recipes sound delicious! I also over-indulged in nuts today...but at least they were raw and not doused in gross oil? Needed a snack to power some study time.

I have been eating a lot of zucchini noodles this weekend. I've found they make a great base for an Italian meal, or sauteed for breakfast. I've even been mixing in other julienned veggies like bell pepper and red cabbage which is delicious. I don't have a mandolin slicer, but I have been feeding this obsession by using my julienne peeler. If anyone is interested, here's the one I got: http://www.amazon.com/Zyliss-30700-Julienne-Peeler/dp/B0018ICHH2

WOOHOO, Happy Day 16!!!

How was everyone's weekend? What challenges did you face and any suggestions on how to handle those "situations" in the future?

This weekend was tough for me for timing of my meals. i ran 16miles on Saturday so my schedule was really off. I started to add more sweet potatoes to my meals to increase my energy. 

It's been quiet on here. How's everyone doing? We made it to day 17? Is anyone experiencing the "tiger blood?"  I woke up energized but started slowly crashing as the day continued. 

Last night I made well fed 2: Turkey cranberry meatballs and golden cauliflower soup. Both turned out DELICIOUS! 

What's everyone making for dinner tonight? 

Archived