Can I have anything at panera bread?

Holly Hampton

If you do find something, let me know. We used to go there every other weekend with my stepson, but the last time we looked, I think there was only one thing - a grilled chicken salad without the dressing - that looked even close to Whole30 or Primal. We gave up...now we get his sandwich to go, then we go home and cook something for us while he has his bacon turkey bravo and cookie.

Holly,

If you're comfortable being very specific with your order, you should be able to make a salad work. Just ask tons of questions and be sure to ask for no cheese, no bread, etc. If you have olive oil and balsamic vinegar at home, you could bring a small container to dress your salad. Otherwise, I really enjoy fresh lemon and some salt and pepper on my salads.

Panera posts all of its ingredient info on its website, which is both good and bad. Their chicken, while "all natural", does contain a form of sugar (dextrose if I remember right). None of their dressings are W30 compliant, either. A Greek salad with no cheese or dressing with chicken smuggled from home is what I've done. And you can always get a fruit cup. Not super exciting, but sometimes it's worth it to be able to go out. :)

The two meats I used to order for salads were the salmon (which was seasonal and is not listed on their website - but if I recall correctly, it was poached) and the roasted turkey. The turkey is made with a blend of oils (olive/canola) but I figured that was less damaging than the sugar in the chicken considering the amount I was likely consuming.

They don't have oil and vinegar available, so you'll have to bring a dressing with you. And at the Panera I go to, they are very good about altering salads to add or leave things out if you don't mind paying extra. Just ask. (Not all Panera's are created equal though!)

• 5 months later...

For all those who don't know, Panera now has a 'Hidden Menu' with two breakfast and 4 lunch/dinner bowls that have zero bread or cheese involved!! The best part is that the salads are topped with lemon juice and EVOO!!

Here is info on their website about it:

http://mypanera.panerabread.com/articlestips/article/access-into-paneras-hidden-menu/

Redacted and edited!

Breakfast:

Steak bowl - good to go!

Turkey bowl - ask for no pesto

Salads:

Med chicken - no go. Sugar in the chicken (and that's where I stopped reading)

Roasted turkey - if they can remove the pepperoncini, it's good

Chicken hummus bowl - nope. Obvi hummus is not okay, but there's sugar in the chicken

Steak wraps - ask for no pesto.

I looked at the nutrition for one of the power salads.....the egg "topping" has modified food starch, natural and artificial flavors [contains buttermilk powder and non-fat dry milk]. Nasty! They can't just put real hard boiled eggs?

Redacted and edited!

Breakfast:

Steak bowl - good to go!

Salads:

Chicken hummus bowl - nope. Obvi hummus is not okay, but there's sugar in the chicken

So the canola oil is not a deal breaker, Robin?

Redacted and edited!

Breakfast:

Steak bowl - good to go!

Salads:

Awesome, thanks Robin!

Most Panera's are totally OK with removing stuff. I had the Med Turkey salad yesterday and had them sub avocado for olives (I don't like olives). The pepperocinis were just sitting on top, so easy to remove. The olive oil was in a little packet. Overall, the salad was OK and honestly will be great in a pinch when one is on the road (ask me how I know!) but I certainly won't make a special trip there for it or anything. Salads at home are way better.

The breakfast bowl option will likely be a big savior for me as I travel a lot in February, though. Hopefully, it's tasty.

I looked at the nutrition for one of the power salads.....the egg "topping" has modified food starch, natural and artificial flavors [contains buttermilk powder and non-fat dry milk]. Nasty! They can't just put real hard boiled eggs?

I swear that egg crap wasn't there when I looked. Good catch. Let me re-revisit.

Upon re-examination: I didn't see the egg crap because I stopped reading at the chicken, which has sugar in it. Any of their chicken dishes (on the hidden menu anyway) are out because of that.

And no, the canola oil isn't a deal breaker. It's not a great choice nutritionally, but we recognize that a person would be nearly paralyzed in a dining out situation if they had to exclude it. Just do your best to avoid it whenever possible.

• 1 year later...

Advice please? I just went to Panera, scanned this thread, ordered the steak bowl (as it was the only wholly compliant item) and felt fantastic about my choice! Then I was reading through everything and realized that mine came with pesto. Was it not supposed to? Pesto on the turkey bowl isn't compliant...so mine probably wasn't either.

My real question is...do I have to start over?!?! :(

• 5 months later...

The steak bowl is listed as having wheat starch in it, that is not WHOLE30 compliant so I am confused.  Can you clarify/help? 

Breakfast:
Steak bowl - good to go!

Salads:

The steak bowl is listed as having wheat starch in it, that is not WHOLE30 compliant so I am confused.  Can you clarify/help? 

Sadly, restaurants and food manufacturers change their ingredients all the time. If the steak bowl now has wheat starch, then it is not whole30 compliant.

Frankly, the more I learn about the ingredients in foods from Panera bread the less optimistic I am that there are any options there that would work. This is a processed food/fast food place. Not a good choice.

• 2 years later...

Archived