Newbie who has never cooked need advice!

davebo99

Hi, I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction of some simple easy meals. There are masses of paleo recipes but I was after some simple basic ones to get me started on the whole 30. I know there are some in the book so shall I just follow these? What did you make when you first started out?

Many Thanks

I'm a rather experienced cook but I'd recommend something like curry in the slow cooker--chicken or shrimp, maybe 2 tbsp curry per pound of meat,,1- 2 cans coconut milk, assorted veg (onion, broccoli, carrots,cauliflower), salt and pepper. Curry isn't much of a science ...it's more to taste. You can find a ton of recipes for it if you want a more structured guide. I'd add red pepper flakes for heat.

Grilled or pan seared steak or fish with veggies sautéed in coconut oil is simple.

Egg scrambles are easy-eggs, meat, any veggies

Ground meat with chili powder, paprika, salt, pepper, garlic,onion, and cilantro served with lime us a nice, easy stand in for taco meat. You can eat it in lettuce leaves or on a salad topped with avocado and salsa.

Get a few paleo cookbooks (Well Fed and Well Fed 2), Primal Blue print etc etc.

My biggest piece of advice is follow the recipe exactly until you get a feel for tweaking recipes.  Every time I've failed when cooking, I can trace it back to thinking an ingredient or step isn't necessary.  Or I missed a step.  So when starting out, try to follow the recipe exactly and you'll have good success.  When done, write comments in your cook  book about possible tweaks for the next time you cook it.....like 'cut salt in half, add twice amount of cayenne for more heat'....etc etc.

One cook book I really like (not paleo compliant) is 'America's Test Kitchen' cook book (not sure of the actual name.)  But in addition to recipes, it has a lot of basic cooking information that most cook books don't cover.  Sometimes I will just sit and read it.  I always learn something new, whether a new technique or about cuts of meat etc.

Just remember that some recipes will turn out well and some won't.  But keep trying and you'll get the hang of it.

If you haven't read It Starts with Food, I would recommend at least taking a look at the Meal Map section. It is a very simple plan for preparing meals ahead of time and the recipes are simple and straightforward - sautee some meat - add spices, etc.... Even for someone who cooks, starting Whole30, or any Paleo diet can be a challenge because you have to start cooking your own food and it takes time. This is now what I do on Sunday afternoons.

I really like Well Fed, we have made some of the more complicated recipes on weekends, but it also has some strategies for preparing your core meals ahead of time. 

My husband was a fairly new cook when he had to start cooking for himself, and he's now surpassed me in the art of (paleo) fried foods. If he can cook, you can too!

Burgers are easy. Steamed veg to go with.

Meatballs are easy. Ground meat + spices + bake till done = meatballs. Make a tomato sauce (tomato sauce + spices) and serve over spinach or zoodles (thinly sliced zucchini).

A tablespoon of fat + ground or cubed meat + veggies + spices = stirfry. This is endlessly variable. (And I think this one's in ISWF.)

Tuna + eggs + spices = tuna patties, served with steamed veg or over a salad.

Bell peppers + stuffed with riced cauliflower and ground meat = stuffed peppers.

This spice chart has helped me on nights I'm winging it -- it tells what spices go best with which meat/dish.

Archived