My Whole 30 experience

W30newbie

Hi all!  One of my favorite posts to read during my Whole 30 was on people's results after the 30 days.  I just finished my 30 days on Wednesday so I wanted to share mine.

I started my Whole 30 on January 7th, 2014, exactly 1 day after reading (more like devouring) It Starts With Food.  The book just clicked in so many ways and as someone with PCOS, I hoped that this would help rebalance my hormone levels.  Especially given the negative side effects I experienced from taking birth control in the past, it was a relief to think that I could fix my issues through something as natural as food.  As I had shifted to a more Paleo-esque diet in early December, I found the Whole 30 pretty easy.  Although I did feel a bit tired on the first few days, it wasn't enough to be considered a 'low carb flu'.  I ate out about 4 times but made sure to do my research beforehand by calling restaurants beforehand or choosing restaurants where I could ensure my meal was compliant (e.g. salad bars).  

To say these 30 day have changed my approach to food would be an understatement.  Foods which I once loved and ate regularly (e.g. oats, yogurt & peanut butter) have no appeal any more.  I wake up craving savory foods which is a first for me.  I purged my home of every bottle of cooking spray and replaced it with ghee and coconut oil.  I can't remember the last time I switched on my food scales.  I have absolutely no clue how many calories I consume daily.  As for the other noticeable benefits that I experienced:

*My energy levels are through the roof- tiger blood is for real guys

*Fortunately I have never had skin issues although my skin now has an extra glow

*I busted out of my meal rut and developed SO MANY new recipes over these past 30 days.  This program definitely rejuvenated my love for cooking

*Although weight loss wasn't a primary goal, it was nice to end the program a few pounds & inches lighter and so much less bloated overall

*Whoever said egg yolks caused heart problems needs to be shot.  On average I ate 4 whole eggs a day and at the end of the 30 days, my trigylcerides dropped while my HDL almost doubled

*While I am yet to regulate my cycle, my blood tests reveal that my insulin levels have gone down which means I'm heading in the right direction

*My sugar cravings are close to zilch which I never thought was possible

*The urge to snack/pick mindlessly is a thing of the past.  I am so much more in tune with my hunger levels

Although I don't really miss soy, dairy, gluten, or sugar (alcohol is an exception), I do want to reintroduce them just for the sake of experimentation.  I would like to finally figure out which food(s) are the culprit to my PCOS and overall bloating.  

Thanks to Melissa & Dallas for introducing this program, and all the helpful moderators members on the forum who provide ongoing support :)!  To anyone frustrated/lacking motivation on their Whole 30: trust me when I say it's worth it to finish what you started.  There were days I woke up feeling bloated or worried I was eating too much but you just gotta trust the program.  If it's worked for so many others, there's no reason why you will be the exception!

Archived