Turkey Blueberry Muffins

Emiley Carey

How do we feel about this recipe for Turkey Blueberry Muffins? I've seen this blog referenced a lot, but is it a Paleofied treat? I'm looking for non-egg options for breakfast when I'm sick of egg cups and fritattas. My main concern is the coconut flour and baking soda.

http://summerinnanen.com/turkey-blueberry-breakfast-muffins

Thanks for the input!

• Moderators

We can take a poll and maybe get a 50-50 split. Half saying the ingredients are fine, so go for it. The other half saying, muffins made of turkey is paleofying your old, crappy diet. That is SWYPO around here. Don't do it. Those who are more nuanced might say, it depends on you. If you crave muffins, don't do it because this keeps you in your old diet. If you don't care about muffins, they might be okay for you.

Here is what I have to say. We want you to learn to eat a new way during your Whole30. This is not a new way of eating. This is your old way of eating with different ingredients. Please, please take advantage of this 30 days to learn all you can and make all the progress you can. This is not progress.

Very good, thanks for the input! I think the meat and spinach recipe looks good--essentially mini meatloafs. I don't want to mimic my old eating, but I DO want to have good options for portable and portioned meals. 

Thanks for the help, Moderators. Your input is truly valuable to all of us on these forums.

I don't see how the turkey muffins are SWYPO. They are TURKEY. They aren't just blueberry muffins made with coconut flour, they are essentially turkey meatballs with blueberries mixed in that happen to be cooked in a muffin tin. The coconut flour is just a binder, same as breadcrumbs in a meatloaf, and the baking soda makes them tender and moist in the same way that breadcrumbs do for meatloaf/meatballs. In the Burgers, Bangers, and Balls section of Well Fed 2, Melissa uses a mixture of water, baking soda, and cream of tartar in the recipes to give a similar moist tenderness that breadcrumbs would provide in a traditional recipe. 

Is coconut flour ok to use for a binder? Like 2 tablespoons to be used to make 6 chicken burger patties? I found the recipe below that would be perfect grab and go for part of my lunches next week... Cook em up this weekend and then freeze them until I am ready to re-heat and eat...

It looks like it would go great with a salad. I generally make chicken burgers with just spinach and peppers but am looking to incorporate sweet potatoes into some lunch items for a bit more starch in my lunch to help hold me over... Has anyone made these before? 

http://www.multiplydelicious.com/thefood/2012/06/sweet-potato-and-kale-chicken-patties/

I'm making the turkey/blueberry ones today to try for breakfasts this week, and for the record: they are far more like meatballs than anything else, so no worries of SWYPO here. There are a few errors in the recipe, though: for example, 1 pint of blueberries is not equal to 1 cup, more like two, so go ahead and buy the 1/2 pint container of blueberries, and using 1/4 cup of the mixture per muffin does not equal 8 muffins (more like 16-20).

edit: update. these took me 30 minutes to bake, not 25. In most cases, the blueberries burst, making the bottom of the "muffin" turn blue. Not very appetizing, but tasty enough.

I'll test them with a side of veggies. Those chicken ones look interesting too, maybe for next week. thanks!

updating: after not loving the chicken/sweet potato patties last week, I decided to make the turkey blueberry ones again, and they worked much better this time with a few changes. 1. process all the ingredients except coconut flour, turkey and blueberries in a food processor until onions are pulverized and everything is well combined. 2. toss blueberries and coconut flour together in a dry bowl 3. Mix turkey and liquid in a second bowl, then fold in the blueberries/coconut flour and gently combine. 4. form into balls and place on a foil-lined cookie sheet. 5. this time they baked up fine in the 25 minutes suggested.

Much better, non-purple-looking meatballs  :)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if cranberries would be as good, maybe worth a try. I like the blueberries in there for the change in texture, additional moisture. Although I did make one more change the last time I made them: I upped the turkey to 1.5lbs, kept all other ingredients the same, and liked the proportions a little better.

Archived