Silk pure almond milk

runninglawyer88

Here are the ingredients:

INGREDIENTS: Almondmilk (Filtered Water, Almonds), Sea Salt, Natural Flavor, Locust Bean Gum, Sunflower Lecithin, Gellan Gum.

VITAMINS & MINERALS: Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin E Acetate, Zinc Gluconate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Riboflavin (B2), Vitamin B12, Vitamin D2.

Silk, huh? I had no idea finding a compliant milk subsitute would be so easy. I don't drink milk as it is, but I'm starting Whole30 soon and trying to nudge my boyfriend on board. The "no milk" was almost a dealbreaker for him. Thanks for sharing!

• 3 weeks later...

I bought large containers of coconut milk at Trader Joes today for $1.99, which is less than the almond milk at my grocery store.

Did those come in a carton or a can?  If a carton, check for compliance: no carrageenan or sweeteners.

I don't use almond milk on my W30.  However, I have used almond milk as an ingredient replacement in recipes that called for coconut milk.  In certain dishes the subtle coconut flavor it identifiable by me and doesn't fit, whereas my palate can always accept a mild nutty flavor to a dish, so almond milk works for me.

My only concern is the "natural flavors." There are a lot of really sketchy things that fall under that term. Basically, as long as it can be found in nature, regardless of what process it goes through later, it still counts as a natural flavor. If you think the almond milk might be affecting you in some way, that could be why. Beware, this is in herbal teas too! I saw another post on this forum about teas and natural flavors if you want more info.

Almond milk has lots of calcium in it, that's why I drink it (and did even before my Whole 30). It doesn't act like dairy milk in many recipes though because there's not much protein in it, so you can't always treat it like a dairy substitute. But it does have a nice flavor and it's good for your bones!

Homer, I agree. I had a dairy allergy as a child so I have never been able to drink milk; these days I can tolerate yogurt and cheese, but cottage cheese or actual milk makes me feel not-so-good. Plus milk tastes really bad to me, so I wouldn't drink it even if I could! There are lots of foods that have calcium in them, but the absorption can be affected by many factors. I'm sure if we Googled it we could find out just how much gets absorbed from different kinds of foods.

I guess I was just saying that about the calcium as a response to someone earlier in the conversation that said almond milk is only fat and flavor.

• 2 months later...

oops just seen this topic having posted on another thread about this very topic- what a relief - ive been using alpro unsweetened almond milk with the same ingredients as the silk in my tea and to make scrambled eggs -

Archived