Starting on Feb 10!

KanaP

Hi All, Monday 10th is my official start date, but I had done it for about 5 days the week before that. I knew I wouldn't be able to stay compliant that weekend, but I couldn't wait to at least start on the right path. Days 2-3 last week I had a huge headache and felt horrible. I actually stayed home from work on day three and then day 4 I was so sleepy I could barely move until about lunch. My official days 2-4 have not been like that. Ive had pretty good energy and most importantly I don't get that weird crash in the middle of the afternoon.

What has bothered me most has been my digestion. The first week I had problems like what the timeline said, but that hasn't gone away yet this week. I was feeling awesome until yesterday after lunch I had gas pains that felt like someone was splitting my gut which I have had regular problems with in the past, but haven't had in a while. 

Between breakfast and lunch I had eaten: kale, leeks, sweet potatoes, mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, small pieces of salty bacon (just salt and pork) eggs, mixed nuts (hazel, almond, cashew, brazil), half an avocado, coffee with some coconut milk, green tea. 

Coffee sometimes upsets me, but it doesn't give me the "knife in the gut" gas. Any ideas what might have torn my insides up. I've been eating all of that stuff for the past week and a half, so maybe its an interaction? 

KAE,

If you're not used to eating as much veggies and fiber as you are now, that could explain the gas. You have to give your body time to get used to it. I've also read sometimes that taking digestive enzymes (pill form) helps you digest all the fiber. I took some on my last W30 and that did help me to digest food more fully. 

I would say don't give up, and keep at it. I'm having the symptoms also, but I ate a bunch of "crap" before so it's going to take me a while to get detoxed. I had these symptoms last time too. I think I was having sugar withdrawal. 

Don't get discouraged. I found this thread here that might also help: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/1628-excess-gas-farting-on-whole30/

Let me know how it goes!

Michelle

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good job giving up the Diet Coke, bizzielizzie! I think if I hadn't basically given up soda last year my first Whole 30 would be completely doomed! I used to drink several cans/bottles of Diet Pepper a day then suddenly somehow lost my taste for it in 2012 and switched to Diet Pepsi. I don't know why, but I, thankfully, started to lost my taste for all soda. Last year my husband made the resolution to stop eating fast food and drink less soda (he was worse than me because he rarely drank water). During the latter half of 2013 I had maybe one soda a month and my husband maybe had a total of 5 all year. The last time I had soda was Christmas day and I haven't craved it since.

Last night I got really munchy. Not sure if it was because of my W30 or because of the chocolate treats I was making my husband. I don't normally crave chocolate and wasn't last night, but I just really needed munchies! I ended up eating an apple with sunbutter then some sunflower crackers I had made.

While making my husband's chocolates I kept almost licking my fingers but thankfully caught myself each time and just washed my hands. I made him little peanut butter filled chocolates using a fat bomb recipe and a Han Solo in carbonite mold. I've been trying to figure out what to do for him for Valentine's without buying chemical filled candy. 

Is there such a thing as too much sunflower seed products? I'm allergic to nut flours and coconut flour, so sunflower flour seems my only (cheap) alternative. Same for nut butters.

i'm finally getting my whole 30 "hangover" and still a LOT of work day left to deal with.  in general, i am eating enough that i'm not hungry between meals, sleeping well, and doing my workouts fine.  but i just got slammed with a headache today.  and a big case of the "i don't give a crap!"s.

Hi all, 

Glad you're still going on Day 4!  I'm feeling good mostly, and not having too many cravings.  I'm still dealing with some hunger issues, but am finding better ways to balance my meals, which is helping.

My main issue right now is that I seem to be having crazy heartburn/acid reflux.  Any idea why?  Is this something that comes up a lot in the first week?  I had problems with it before W30, but I was hoping that this change would help out... 

In case it helps, my day so far: 

b - 2 egg/pepper "muffins," 1/2 avocado with compliant salsa, apple, black coffee

s - carrot sticks, 1 closed handful raw cashews, water

l - cup broccoli curry soup from nom nom paleo, serving of moroccan meatballs in tomato sauce from the clothes make the girl, tangelo

I guess maybe it could be the coffee and the tomatoes, but I have eaten almost the same breakfast and lunch every day since I started and it's only been today that's bad!

Thanks for your thoughts.

Wifebando,

You are all 1 day behind me, but I had the headache issues yesterday and this morning, but I can tell you that it passes. Keep drinking water and that will help flush it out.

GeekishlyApropos,

I don't know what you're all doing this W30 for, but I find that when I am going through cravings and having a tough time, I remind myself why I am doing this and that helps remind me why I should stick with it.

Hope everyone is doing well on this cold winter day...

Keep it up!

Hi all, 

Glad you're still going on Day 4!  I'm feeling good mostly, and not having too many cravings.  I'm still dealing with some hunger issues, but am finding better ways to balance my meals, which is helping.

My main issue right now is that I seem to be having crazy heartburn/acid reflux.  Any idea why?  Is this something that comes up a lot in the first week?  I had problems with it before W30, but I was hoping that this change would help out... 

In case it helps, my day so far: 

b - 2 egg/pepper "muffins," 1/2 avocado with compliant salsa, apple, black coffee

s - carrot sticks, 1 closed handful raw cashews, water

l - cup broccoli curry soup from nom nom paleo, serving of moroccan meatballs in tomato sauce from the clothes make the girl, tangelo

I guess maybe it could be the coffee and the tomatoes, but I have eaten almost the same breakfast and lunch every day since I started and it's only been today that's bad!

Thanks for your thoughts.

Emily I found this thread for you. Hope it helps! http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/363-acid-reflux/

Emily- I had terrible reflux with my first whole 30. I related it to the extra fat in my diet. It delays gastric emptying a bit (takes longer to digest). The braggs vinegar worked really well for me and my symptoms have now completely resolved. Good luck! (As an interesting aside, I tried the digestive enzymes and they made it much worse...)

KAE,

If you're not used to eating as much veggies and fiber as you are now, that could explain the gas. You have to give your body time to get used to it. I've also read sometimes that taking digestive enzymes (pill form) helps you digest all the fiber. I took some on my last W30 and that did help me to digest food more fully. 

I would say don't give up, and keep at it. I'm having the symptoms also, but I ate a bunch of "crap" before so it's going to take me a while to get detoxed. I had these symptoms last time too. I think I was having sugar withdrawal. 

Don't get discouraged. I found this thread here that might also help: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/1628-excess-gas-farting-on-whole30/

Let me know how it goes!

Michelle

Hi Michelle. Thanks so much for the help! Clicking through your link and then other links on the forum I also found this article on Marks Daily Apple: http://www.marksdail.../#axzz2tE6g0YJN For anyone who continues to have problems, this looks like a great place to start. It highlights a lot of foods that may continue to bother you even on a strict whole 30. 

I seen now that many of the things I ate yesterday were on the list of things that may cause problems: onions, leeks, garlic.

The onions and garlic were cooked, but the leeks were frozen when I put them in the pan and just barely softened. That might have been it. Will have to test. 

i'm feeling a little renewed - ran to the grocery store and found some great deals on COMPLIANT bacon, chicken thighs, and frozen shrimp.  looking forward to cooking tonight - will saute shrimp, zucchini, and tomatoes in coconut oil with some sort of spices.

my workout tonight sucked, so i cut it short, just an "easy" night tonight.

Hi all! I'm a total newbie, heard about the website from a colleague of mine a few weeks ago and I decided to commit! I'm prediabetic and have a very unhealthy relationship with carbs! I'm also getting married next month so this is a bit of a last chance to enter this next phase of life healthier and more fit! Best of luck to all the 2/10 beginners!

Hi Quirky-- I WISH I listened to my doctor when she told me I wa pre-diabetic. Now 4 years into being a D2 I am on 5 medicaitons and the heaviest I have ever been. PLEASE take care of yourself!

i'm feeling a little renewed - ran to the grocery store and found some great deals on COMPLIANT bacon, chicken thighs, and frozen shrimp.  looking forward to cooking tonight - will saute shrimp, zucchini, and tomatoes in coconut oil with some sort of spices.

my workout tonight sucked, so i cut it short, just an "easy" night tonight.

Which grocery store??? 

Hello everyone. I started on February 10th as well, as a 1st timer. So far it has been ok. I have had a headache every day so far and have felt just kind of blah, but I know it will pass. I do feel less bloated already, so that makes me happy. The food has also tasted really good, which keeps it easier for me to stay motivated. I am extremely over weight and found out I have an allergy to gluten, but still was eating it despite how horrible it made me feel. I am excited about this challenge because I need this push to get my health back. I work out at least 5 times a week doing Bootcamp and RIPPED, but am not seeing the results I want, so hopefully changing my eating habits will help with this. I look forward to getting some more support during these next 30 days. 

Yay! I made it to day 6! Almost a week for me since I started on Sunday and y'all started on Mon. Happy day 5 to all of you. 

So far so good.

Welcome, Nikki,

I've had headaches on and off every day as well. I'm tired also, and been having some crazy cravings, but mostly at night. I think it might just be psychological though because I used to always have dessert before, even if I wasn't hungry, and now I'm not only not having dessert, but I am definitely not having sugar so I think I emotionally miss it. I do know, from my last W30, that after a week or so you forget about it and don't even care anymore. I'm looking forward to that time.

I'm hoping to push past 30 days and keep this going for 60 at least. I want to be able to free myself from the hold that food has on me. Learn to deal with my emotions instead of always going straight to food, and I've read from others that sometimes it takes longer than 30 days for some people to get past that. We'll see.

For now, 1 day at a time.

We're over the week 1 hump now! Congrats to everyone!!

PS - I found Paleo compliant bacon (no sugar, no nitrates) at whole foods...

who is dealing with v-day offerings at work?  i walk into the building today, giant bowl of hershey kisses and sweethearts.

get to my desk - dozen heart shaped donuts.

go to a meeting - bag of reeses peanut butter cups.

talk to a coworker - giant bowl of pink and red m&ms.

so far, i'm hanging in there, but those peanut butter cups nearly got me!

No temptations for me today, thank goodness! We have little bags sitting on our desks we each decorated Monday. Plenty of sweets have gone into them, but I've been letting a couple of my co-workers have whatever they want. Taking a couple treats home to my husband. I've never been a fan of chocolate, tho, so not too hard to resist.

I feel bad for my husband. I've made treats for him and am taking what I've collected at work to him, but I've basically left him in a lurch for getting me anything. He doesn't buy me flowers because I'm allergic. He usually ends up getting me some kind of treat and a breve. No-nos for me this year. Last year we went to a fancy restaurant (first time ever), but this year I'm more limited on where I can eat without worrying about accidentally cheating.

I'm enjoying eating healthy and not feeling like crap, but I think he feels a bit left in a lurch because Valentine's doesn't leave many choices in the way of Whole 30 or paleo.

Just wanted to say congrats to all! We've made it through week 1!! 

How is everyone doing?

I'm noticing some changes already. Nothing huge, but little things, like not feeling bloated anymore, and my side effects are starting to go away too. In fact I didn't wake up with a headache today, so that's a nice change.

The weather here this week is going to be awesome, so I'm excited to use some of my new energy outside this week.

Congrats to us again for finishing week 1. Here's to week #2!!!

Ok so today's my day 9, and I looked at the timeline and I think I'm mixing a couple of these days together. I'm super duper tired all the sudden and feeling bloated at the same time. Looks like the hardest days are coming up for me. Hopefully I can push through.

How's everyone else doing?

Hello peeps. Sorry for being M.I.A but I am so flipping TIRED  :blink:

Day 10 for me today and I can't say I've had huge detox like symptoms, but then I only took a week between my last 30 and this one so probably wasn't as super toxic as I normally am.

My biggest issue is with my adrenal fatigue symptoms. I really want this diet to fix them but it is refusing to do so (at once, which is when I require all things) and I am so sad. I've stopped exercising again - just as I was building up some strength - but the energy, it does not flow. I want to sleep, sleep, sleep and then have a little nap to recover from all that sleeping.

I know it will get better if I persevere. I know that I am healing my body slowly but surely. But last night I dreamed that I was chomping on a 20 inch Mars Bar (does such a wonder even exist?) and boy did it taste good!

Still happy to be here, no intention of jumping off early and wearing a pair of jeans that thought they had somehow offended me, so brutally were they mashed in at the back of the wardrobe.

Anybody else having problems with weird chin acne? Could it be all the gelatin I'm getting through?

Well done to everyone still on the wagon. I think we rock. :D

everyone go make this now!

http://seejenroerun.blogspot.com/2013/12/whole30-butternut-squash-soup-recipe.html?m=1

cooked it up this morning to have on hand for the week, tasted a spoonful and OMG it is delish.  i can't wait to devour it!!!

thanks for the recipe, I love squash soup and I love roasted squash, so roasted squash soup should be excellent!

I might try it tonight, there is a butternut squash waiting at home!

One thing : I read somewhere you could eat the skin on the butternut squash because it(s quite thin, I don't bother with the skin now, I just eat it, especially if it's blended in soup... Less work too!

I've just noticed some spots today on my face too! Cheeks and chin ... I don't normally have any.

I've also got a massive headache today and still feeling quite tired.

Last Saturday we were invited for dinner, I called our friend in advance, and he said he was cooking lasagna... so I brought my own dinner. Didn't feel very comfortable to do that, but well, the whole30 is my priority right now.

I did make a mistake though : there were some almonds just before dinner, I had a handful, and afterwards I read the package and there was MSG in them and probably other crap :(

BUT not point beating myself up about it... what's done is done!

Archived