Breakfast Sausage brands

Kmkeener

Not sure if you consider apple chicken sausage, breakfast sausage, but I get that at Trader Joe's...it is their brand.  Compliant and tasty.  I put it in my egg muffins with lots of veggies for my first meal.  I make a whole batch for the week at one clip.  They have quite a few different flavored sausages, but there are a few that aren't compliant, just double check your labels.  :)  (the spicy italian I believe is one that is not...I know it has fennel in it)

I haven't ever found one, so i made my own. Here's the recipe

2 lbs. ground pork

2 tsp. salt

1 ½ tsp. fresh ground black pepper

3 tsp. dried sage

½ tsp. nutmeg

1/4 to ½ tsp. cayenne pepper

Just mix everything well and form into patties, links, or leave bulk. If you form it into patties or links, just lay them out on a foil or parchment paper lined cookie sheet and put in the freezer for a few hours, then you can separate them from the foil or paper and put them in a ziplock baggie and store in the freezer.

I also make my own because I couldn't find anything compliant (and I HATE chicken sausage).  I used the sage breakfast sausage at www.thisfoodthing.com and I would probably add more salt next time and probably more poultry seasoning, but I love poultry seasoning and I know I'm weird.  It was a little difficult to get uniformly mixed up, but it was delicious.

If you can find a local butcher, they have the best. However, it all depends on where you live I suppose. I live somewhere that local hogs are well kept and taken to the butcher and sold, etc. 

I love a good breakfast sausage; hope you can find one!

• Moderators

I found a place that sells grassfed beef and other meats and does their own butchering. I looked on eatwild.com to find them, so you might try that to find a place near you. I'm in Texas, near Dallas, and order from Burgundy Pasture Beef -- I'm in their delivery area, but they do ship across the country as well. Their mild pork sausage, bulk Italian sausage, and bratwurst are all compliant, as is their chicken sausage, although I liked the pork better. I'm a wimp and only order the mild sausage, but I would assume the hot version would be okay too: http://burgundypasturebeef.com/public_products.php?g_intCmd=21&g_intProdSection=2&g_intGizmoCategory=7 

I make my own as well.  Here's my recipe:

1 lb ground pork

1 TBS each of fennel, sage, and paprika

1/2 TBS each sea salt and pepper

1 tsp garlic powder

I like to mix it up the night before and chill it overnight in plastic wrap so the flavors blend better.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived