Sugar Dragon - roar....

bep0819

I completed my 2nd Whole30 on Tuesday. On Friday we had a planned pizza dinner. I chose not to reintro many of the foods because I simply do not plan to eat them. Today I'm back and eating from the template. What was interesting was that I have not had GI distress like I expected but my sugar dragon has been roaring up a bit.

I'm so grateful for the template and being able to return today. I was ready to ride my own bike with the pizza but I also realize that the sauce likely had sugar in it and that probably played a part with my sugar dragon. So disheartening when you see how sugar is loaded into just about anything.

It's really eye-opening to realize how much of our food has sugar in it, and how negatively it affects us.  We eat foods we consider healthy, but they have sugar hidden away in tiny print in the ingredients list and we don't realize it, and then we wonder why we crave sugary treats so much.  Welcome back to good eatin'.

You are not alone in having a roaring sugar dragon post-W30. I'm so thankful to have the template to return to (not that I've been straying from it much as it is.) Fortunately, as you have observed, some days are easier than others!

• 4 weeks later...

I always marvel at people who say "My sugar cravings are gone!"  Really?  Does that actually happen?  My cravings have lessened now that I finished my whole30.  But they are far from gone.  For example....I walked into the break room this morning and someone left a very large box of candy bars on the counter.  They are selling them for $1 to raise money for a kids' sportsteam.  It was all I could do not to plunk down a $5 bill, grab a handful and eat them as fast as I could!  My body screamed "SUGAR!!!"

I'll pay them to stop bringing chocolate in.  Not fair to ambush me like that :angry: And yes that is the face I made, cravings make me cranky!

I won't say that my sugar dragon has gone away, so much as that it has transformed.  I still crave something sweet after a meal, but a tiny nibble of almond butter or a spoonful of my almond butter balsamic salad dressing (weird, I know!) does the trick.  YES I am 100% aware that I am still "giving into the sugar dragon" but I am OK with that.  I no longer feel the need to have a bite of three types of dark chocolate after every meal, or keep making myself another "tiny" bit of PB2 with sugar free syrup, which used to be my go to "healthy" sweet tooth abatement.  And any desire to have some of a coworker's mediocre baked goods or grab something from the candy bowl just because it's there has gone away completely.  I even found myself with my own permission to buy ice cream the other day for my dairy reintro day, but I walked away because I felt like I shouldn't force myself to have some when I really didn't want it.  So short story long, while I am not sure that a sugar dragon ever really goes away, I do know it can be trained quite well!

So I can't have 2 scoops of chocolate whey, vanilla almond milk, sugar free chocolate syrup, and a banana mixed with crushed ice in a blender anymore?  I used to eat that as a snack at 8 pm for a while.  It sounded very healthy at the time.

I feel your pain...yesterday I was in a meeting with someone eating cake...I literally couldn't stop staring at the cake!!

So I can't have 2 scoops of chocolate whey, vanilla almond milk, sugar free chocolate syrup, and a banana mixed with crushed ice in a blender anymore?  I used to eat that as a snack at 8 pm for a while.  It sounded very healthy at the time.

On a Whole30, no, this is not compliant.

Post-Whole30, you can eat/drink whatever you want.  One question to consider asking yourself, is if this drink is making you more healthy or less healthy?  Also, depending on your reintroduction results, that would likely weigh on your decision whether to resume having this drink.

I won't say that my sugar dragon has gone away, so much as that it has transformed.  I still crave something sweet after a meal, but a tiny nibble of almond butter or a spoonful of my almond butter balsamic salad dressing (weird, I know!) does the trick.  YES I am 100% aware that I am still "giving into the sugar dragon" but I am OK with that.  I no longer feel the need to have a bite of three types of dark chocolate after every meal, or keep making myself another "tiny" bit of PB2 with sugar free syrup, which used to be my go to "healthy" sweet tooth abatement.  And any desire to have some of a coworker's mediocre baked goods or grab something from the candy bowl just because it's there has gone away completely.  I even found myself with my own permission to buy ice cream the other day for my dairy reintro day, but I walked away because I felt like I shouldn't force myself to have some when I really didn't want it.  So short story long, while I am not sure that a sugar dragon ever really goes away, I do know it can be trained quite well!

Almond butter balsamic dressing sounds great.  I do it with tahini

I consider my sugar dragon gone when I can eat something sweet without eating too much.  I don't go around thinking about sweets like I used to (cravings will be considered gone) but I cannot stop myself when I do choose to eat sugar so that dragon is still lurking.

I also can now *easily* resist mediocre baked goods or candy.  Love it!  My battles are more when I am alone at home with the chocolatey goodness I bake for the kids.  Last night was Kitchen Sink Brownies.  I know if I eat one I will not stop at one.  But I don't sit around thinking about them nor do I eat everything else in sight to avoid eating one of them!  Is that good enough to say my cravings are gone?

Almond butter balsamic dressing sounds great.  I do it with tahini

I consider my sugar dragon gone when I can eat something sweet without eating too much.  I don't go around thinking about sweets like I used to (cravings will be considered gone) but I cannot stop myself when I do choose to eat sugar so that dragon is still lurking.

I also can now *easily* resist mediocre baked goods or candy.  Love it!  My battles are more when I am alone at home with the chocolatey goodness I bake for the kids.  Last night was Kitchen Sink Brownies.  I know if I eat one I will not stop at one.  But I don't sit around thinking about them nor do I eat everything else in sight to avoid eating one of them!  Is that good enough to say my cravings are gone?

I think of a craving as the strong desire to have something, the worse it is the more you think about that thing.  The inability to stop at just one I associate more with overeating/binge tendencies.  Of course, I do think sugar makes most people crave more sugar...  But if you're not really thinking about sweets or sugar and you don't have a problem passing on baked goods when you make them, I would say your cravings are gone, it's more the tendency to binge that is still there.

My brain is telling me I need sugar today!! It's funny how when we tell ourselves we are not going to eat something, our own brains rebel and try to convince us we need that very thing! I love sugar and I always have, so that's my main reason for doing this Whole 30--to get rid of my sugar cravings. The experiences that some of you have shared--being able to say no to mediocre baked goods and candy--are inspiring! Thank you. :)

The thought of Snickers bars gets my Sugar Dragon roaring!  :wacko:   I think this is why I have to keep Larabars out of my reach/thoughts until I finish this Whole30, because I really want to stop thinking about sweets and pop all the time.  I'd always give in... sigh.  I am hoping this helps!

The longer you go without it, the easier it gets.

The hard part for me is that it doesn't take much at all to awake the dragon and boy...does it come roaring back when that happens!  Then I have to suffer through a few days of cravings (and abstinence) before my body will give up the desire again.  

The worst part is that I don't even have to indulge in sugar to awake the dragon.  White bread, pasta, rice...they all awake it just as quickly as a cookie would.  So unfair!

I just have to remind myself how much easier life is without it and not take that first bite.  I've gotten MUCH better at resisting it over the years (it's been almost 2 years since my first Whole30!) but I don't think the challenge will ever completely go away.

Archived