tried to go on a date, tried to be clear about what we wanted, but...

My wife and I are on day 24.  We've been BY THE BOOK for all 24 days!  Tonight I wanted to take her out.  It wasn't a celebration or "we deserve this" or "ah, let's just do this anyhow", just a simple dinner out. Though concerned we'd truly be able to get what we ordered, I searched the forum and we were both planning on ordering grilled fish with nothing but perhaps some olive oil and steamed vegetables, that's it.  I ordered the ahi seared tuna as an app and told the guy we just wanted the seared tuna with the sauces on the side fully expecting all the sauces to have either sugar and/or soy.  Well, the tuna comes out and it appears to be covered in sesame seeds (I'd forgotten about those), and half of the side of each piece has some sort of "sashimi" (sp?) sauce which has soy in it.  I scrape it off the best I can but I'm sure we ingested at least a tiny bit of soy.

Next we both order the sea bass and I say we simply want it grilled with none of their sauces (though we read the herb pesto is acceptable).  The fish arrives and either my taste buds have changed dramatically, which I hope and suspect is part of it, or there was some butter on the fish.  The vegetables were steamed but a couple of them either got into the olive oil or they too had a touch of butter. 

So my question is two fold.  Would this technically call for a "restart"?  I'm fully planning on a new lifestyle with this (in regard to my food) and didn't desire nor intend to have what may or may not have actually been in the food - though I don't know if that even matters "by the rules".  I have really turned the corner both mentally and physically and the benefits TRULY outweigh the desire for the junk!  Second, if this is a fail, how much of the full 30 days is mental (to develop new habits) and how much of it is physical - so the body can receive the full benefits associated with the true "reset"?  In other words, will this potential screw up alter the impact and potential results of the full 30 days of no sugar, soy, butter etc., or has the body come far enough that it's going to continue to function as it should and will I be able to retain and continue to improve physically?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Danny

Ingesting soy does call for a restart, due to its likelihood of disrupting your gut. If either of you had dairy issues pre-Whole30, that would also be a factor in restarting. As you're planning to continue eating this way, this might be a moot point. Think of it as a 30 day extension or a Whole54.

Olive oil is fine on a Whole30.

Alternatively, if you just decided to continue for the original 6 remaining days and then reintro, it's unclear how this soy or possible dairy might make some difference in your Whole30 results. 

I know you can't change what happened. If this situation were to repeat itself in the future, would you consider sending the food back to the kitchen, so it is prepared to your specifications?

you totally could have sent it back. no sauce doesn't mean sauce on half.

One clarification, though: sesame seeds aren't particularly recommended, but they aren't prohibitted. You could have eaten those and remained on plan.

If I were in this situation, I might just delay reintro of dairy and soy for 30 days vs. a full restart. 

Archived