No results - how is that possible?

Not sure where to have posted this so forgive me if this isn't the correct place.  So...I just completed my second whole 30.  I chose not to weigh myself before or after my first whole 30.  I wanted to focus on satiety and eating good food.  But, at the end I was disappointed because I couldn't tell if I had made any progress.  So this time, I decided to weigh myself before and after.  And I'm so disappointed and stunned that I lost zippo.  How is this possible?  I know, I know, Whole 30 isn't about weight loss.  BUT, I know for a fact that I wasn't eating the amount of calories I was before.  I stuck to the plan.  I increased my exercise.  AND NADDA!  And yes, I have weight to lose.  About 30 pounds.  I'm stumped and would love to hear from the experts on their insights. 

It would be helpful to have some context for further insight.

Some questions:

- are you getting at least 7 hours of sleep nightly?

- what is your activity regime like?

- what is your daily water hydration like?

- how is your current level of stress?
- any health issues? hormones? thyroid/adrenals?

- where did your monthly cycle fall?
- what does 2-3 days of your typical food log look like?

Did you take before and after measurements also? Wondering if your body composition changed? This gal didn't lose any weight either, but her before and after photos are night and day. 

BUT, I know for a fact that I wasn't eating the amount of calories I was before.

How do you know this? If you were counting, or restricting in some other way (not counting, but consciously ignoring your bodies hunger signals to eat less) there is a good change you weren't eating enough during your whole30. The body is very smart and determined to keep you alive. If food is consistently scarce, your energy levels and metabolism will slow down in order to conserve. I'm just guessing without a food log, but this seems like a real posibility here.

sorry you were disappointed! Please do respond to Chris' questions and we help with your specific context.

@missmary - I didn't "track". And I didn't spend time counting. I focused on hunger cues. But, I'm also calorie savvy and can mentally do a tally as a point of reference.

@GfChris

Sleep-yes, at least 8 hours

Activity-workouts are one hour. Four days a week. That's an increase from before. Rowing, spinning, walking, dance, body weight work, Slobody.

Hydration- water or soda water only. At least 8 glasses daily. Oh an occasional cup of coffee, black.

Stress-coffee people goofed and did not give me a decaf. I'm hypersensitive to caffeine. Was sick for three days this last week.

Health-menopause. Otherwise no issues

Food log:

Bfast- egg frittata- 2.5 eggs, 1/3 sweet potato, zucchini, asparagus, spinach all baked together. This is my daily breakfast during the work week. Top it with 1/2 avocado or other fat.

Lunch-swordfish, green beans tossed with a couple pecans, cauliflower mash, cauliflower rice pilaf, sweet potato bombs

Because my work days are long, I make a variety of food ahead on the weekend and then just pack the variety but eat the same food for lunch and dinner. My vegetables account for two containers that hold 2 cups each and I just eat half at lunch/half at dinner.

While I have the desire to "munch" in the evening, I am not hungry.

Thank you for sharing the other story. But... If I weighed 155 pounds and lost no weight I would be fine. Yes I did have some body composition changes. About four inches waist and hips. Unfortunately, weighing almost 200lbs that doesn't make me feel better. Like I said, if I were at a closer to goal weight, body composition would be awesome, but I'm a long way from that!

Ugh!

Can an increase in exercise cause water retention/weight gain?

Yes! Especially if you are doing strength training, it is normal to put on a couple pounds of fluid as muscles recover.

4 inches is not no result! My guess is between the new exercise routine and the accidental caffeine exposure you are retaining a little more water so actual "weight" or "fat" loss is obscured on the scale. Keep doing what you are doing! It sounds really good. Oh, and consider adding a pre- and post-WO snack as well, these will help with energy and recovery.

Not sure if day I am strength training exactly. Just doing more than before.

It's hard to keep motivated to do what I've been doing when you don't see the changes you'd hope for.

30 days is nothing, but to continue without results seems like an oxymoron.

Perception I know. But it's disappointing.

There are a bunch of us that didn't lose weight (I'm about 25-30lbs overweight as well).  So first of all, don't beat yourself up too much about it.  I think it's important we get on the boards as well, because it can be depressing to see all the success storier

Second, I think it's worthwhile to double check, as the moderators said, to see if there was anything that could have been done a little bit different.  That being said, I think some people just don't have the amazing results that others have and there are probably a whole bunch of reasons that you don't have control over.  But some reasons are harder to pinpoint.  I had a long discussion with my doctor and one of the things he pointed out is I'm under a huge amount of stress, so he thinks my cortisol levels are through the roof at the moment.  I suspect that no matter what I do, unless I bring down my stress, I won't lose weight under those conditions.

Third, as much as this may not sound great, you didn't gain during the program.  As soon as I went off the Whole 30, I gained back the 2.5 pounds I had lost and gained another 2.  And I have only added back in dairy on a few occasions and sugar on a few occasions.  So I'm thinking of going back on to get things under control at least.  The fact of the matter is that while I didn't feel amazing on the Whole 30, I felt better than I do right now.

But overall, just hang in there and know you aren't alone, there are others of us disappointed as well

It's hard to keep motivated to do what I've been doing when you don't see the changes you'd hope for.

I know it's hard, but hang in there! I didn't lose any weight during my first whole30 either, but I've kept on and lost about 50lbs so far. Sometimes it just takes a while before your body gets the message and starts to balance out.

I am breastfeeding and battling with supply issues, chronic sleep deprivation, GI issues, and not losing much (if any) weight. So yeah, I get the frustration. But when I question whether I should keep putting in the effort to stay compliant, I ask myself this - are less optimal (bad) food choices going to help me feel better or get back to my pre-pregnancy weight? Of course the answer is NO... so keep going. A few inches or a few pounds over a month might not seem like much, but in 6 months if you are still making good choices, you will likely be seeing much bigger changes.

@Miss Mary - How long did it take you to lose your 50#?  How many whole 30's have you done to be successful at that and did you do anything else that promoted the weight loss in a healthy way?  Anxious to understand your path to success. 

Well, thanks all.  You're absolutely right.  I feel better.  I may not have lost weight but I do feel better.  So, that isn't a total loss. 

I did note one thing though.  You mentioned that just by adding a little dairy and a little sugar you gained the weight back you lost, and then an additional two pounds. 

Here's the thing.  If I can lose weight by cutting calories (not severe - just to 1300/day) and increase activity - calorie in calorie out principal - and I can actually see a weight loss with this, why wouldn't I choose to go this route rather than a route that doesn't allow for the weight loss, and apparently people have the equal amount of trouble with regaining weight?

Does that question make sense?  Basically, I assumed that one of the benefits of doing Whole 30 is that it's retraining our brains to eat well and our bodies to know satiety therefore resulting in permanent weight loss.  But from the point above, that isn't true.  In which case, how is Whole 30 better than a calorie in calorie out premise which also can result in gaining weight? (and at very least LOSING weight)

@Miss Mary - How long did it take you to lose your 50#?  How many whole 30's have you done to be successful at that and did you do anything else that promoted the weight loss in a healthy way?  Anxious to understand your path to success. 

Here's the thing.  If I can lose weight by cutting calories (not severe - just to 1300/day) and increase activity - calorie in calorie out principal - and I can actually see a weight loss with this, why wouldn't I choose to go this route rather than a route that doesn't allow for the weight loss, and apparently people have the equal amount of trouble with regaining weight?

Does that question make sense?  Basically, I assumed that one of the benefits of doing Whole 30 is that it's retraining our brains to eat well and our bodies to know satiety therefore resulting in permanent weight loss.  But from the point above, that isn't true.  In which case, how is Whole 30 better than a calorie in calorie out premise which also can result in gaining weight? (and at very least LOSING weight)

Here's what the whole30 means for me: I don't count calories. I eat as much as I need to satisfy my hunger. I have energy for workouts and I feel amazing and strong most of the time. I no longer have sniffly/sneezy alergies 24/7. I haven't used my asthma inhalor in so long I can't even remember where it is, when it was a constant companion there for a while, and yes, I've lost weight slowly, never more than 8lbs in one month, but pretty steady. I think my first whole30 was about a year and a half ago? I've done three or four proper whole30s in that time, with "riding my own bike" eating mostly whole30 in between*. The only stall happened when I got cocky and quit taking my thyroid meds (I really do need those) and somehow with thyroid levels in the toilet I only gained 6lbs over four months before I figured it out. Now I'm losing again. Tom Denham, another moderator, only ever lost 2lbs in a month, but he continued to lose 2lbs every month for more than a year until he was at a healthy weight. He's maintained it ever since.

What I've learned is that the very best I can do for my body is live life the way I want to live it when I'm "done" with weight loss. If I do something for a while, but then go back to however I was eating before I will gain that weight back (I know, I've tried that before!) so I might as well eat in a way that is sustainable long-term for me. If you lose weight doing the whole30, then go back to the standard american diet, you will gain that weight back (just like any other short-term diet). This is not the whole30's fault. 

*riding my own bike means, for me, allowing a small amount of sugar or square of dark chocolate, an occasional hard cider or glass of wine, legumes or rice when eating away from home or someone else prepared it, this sort of thing. Do the reintros carefully, you may find you tolerate dairy just fine, etc. and your own "riding my own bike" might look very different from mine.

I agree with Miss Mary.  I'm not sure the traditional low calorie approach really works and I definitely think it is much harder to maintain in the long run.  Except for adding back in wine, I'm pretty sure I could stay on the Whole 30 for the rest of my life, it was that easy, I never thought about it. 

But you have to do what's right for you.  Everyone is different and you have to listen to your body

Pickles-I do feel better on Whole 30. I'm just not losing weight. But I am also going to take the advice of miss mary. I believe this may take more time than calorie restricted programs. I'm willing to keep focusing on the positive and ride it out. I hope that you have had some positives that you can reflect on?!

I don't see the Whole30 as a weight loss diet. For me, weightloss diets don't work.

This eating and lifestyle plan is about improved health. I've decided that weighing was a major negative in my life and I don't weigh myself ever now.

For me it's all about health and that involves being nourished with highly nutritious food. Nothing to do with calories or any macro micro nutrients. I don't out a time limit on improved health. It's for the rest of my life, not just 30 days. I've accepted it's health and probably not fat loss that matters most.

Good luck in making changes. We're all learning about ourselves and what makes us feel healthier.

The change I've made this month us to listen to my body and only drink when I'm thirsty. No longer am I up during the night. Sleep is so much better.

I just want to thank you for sharing your frustration. I am about 40lbs overweight and I only lost 2lbs on my Whole 30. IMO, 2lbs doesn't even count given normal day to day weight fluctuations. It is a really frustrating place to be in because, no matter how much any one reminds you that W30 isn't about weight loss, a lot of us arrived here because we want/need to lose weight. And, it can't be ignored that so many success stories are about weight loss.

I am just thanking you because I think it is really important that people who DON'T lose weight share their success stories as well. And, 4 inches and feeling good is definitely success.

I didn't get going on this program to lose weight but rather to gain health. However I feel that I didn't really gain where I thought I would. I typically ate mostly organic, lots of veggies, some fruit, lots of eggs (we raise our own chickens), nuts and seeds. The changes I made for this whole 30 were to cut out all dairy, sugar, alcohol, legumes and grains. Where I had hoped to see improvement were in the following areas: improved sleep, less occurence of nocturnal muscle cramping, less phlegmy throat. Nothing has changed in any of those areas. that said, I HAVE lost 3 pounds, and I HAVE lost my food cravings (for the most part). I'm on day 23 and actually enjoy my cup of half decaf in the morning with coconut milk. When I started this I really had no confidence that I would be able to remain compliant for 30 days, but I know now that I definitely can. Because I didn't actually experience great physical changes I'm leery of reintroduction. If I didn't note any big changes when I eliminated these categories, how will I know if they are affecting me adversely when I reintroduce them? I'm actually quite content eating this way. Only occasionally I think "hm a glass of wine would be nice right now, or a piece of good chocolate" but I also know that once you put those things in your mouth it starts you down a slippery slope. At least for a food obsessed person like myself. So... glad that I embarked on the program... just wish I knew why the sleep, cramps, and phlegm did not improve. 

I didn't get going on this program to lose weight but rather to gain health. However I feel that I didn't really gain where I thought I would. I typically ate mostly organic, lots of veggies, some fruit, lots of eggs (we raise our own chickens), nuts and seeds. The changes I made for this whole 30 were to cut out all dairy, sugar, alcohol, legumes and grains. Where I had hoped to see improvement were in the following areas: improved sleep, less occurence of nocturnal muscle cramping, less phlegmy throat. Nothing has changed in any of those areas. that said, I HAVE lost 3 pounds, and I HAVE lost my food cravings (for the most part). I'm on day 23 and actually enjoy my cup of half decaf in the morning with coconut milk. When I started this I really had no confidence that I would be able to remain compliant for 30 days, but I know now that I definitely can. Because I didn't actually experience great physical changes I'm leery of reintroduction. If I didn't note any big changes when I eliminated these categories, how will I know if they are affecting me adversely when I reintroduce them? I'm actually quite content eating this way. Only occasionally I think "hm a glass of wine would be nice right now, or a piece of good chocolate" but I also know that once you put those things in your mouth it starts you down a slippery slope. At least for a food obsessed person like myself. So... glad that I embarked on the program... just wish I knew why the sleep, cramps, and phlegm did not improve. 

First off, I encourage you to hang in there. The program is the Whole30, not the Whole23  ;).

I also highly recommend reintroductions.  When you reintroduce, you're looking for physical and psychological impacts.  Both how you feel physically, and whether eating a certain food affects you emotionally (e.g., does it make you crave other foods).  It's totally worth finishing the 30 days and doing controlled reintroductions so you have good data to take into account in deciding how you want to ride your own bike going forward.

Oh, and HIDE THAT SCALE until you're done.  :)

... just wish I knew why the sleep, cramps, and phlegm did not improve. 

Janop- Have you tried supplementing with magnesium? Many people are deficient in this mineral, and find it helps with both sleep and muscle cramping. The natural calm (the unsweetened formula) is great as a beverage before bed--make sure you get the magnesium only version, not magnesium/calcium* for best results. Also consider a spray version of magnesium, or a pill or even taking a hot bath in epsom salt in the evening (epsom salt is another form of magnesium). 

*Calcium supplements like this can keep you awake, and are also constipating, so counteracting many of the benefits of the magnesium.

Oh I will definitely hang in there! I'm not discouraged, just a little disappointed that my problems were not solved with the program. I WILL reintroduce foods and see if I can detect any changes and whether or not a food group is problematic for me or not. Interestingly, my husband has also done this with me. He had never before experienced the muscle cramps I referred to in my previous post UNTIL he embarked on this program. What is up with that?!

Looks like I replied before seeing your post Miss Mary. Yes I take Natural Calm. But I wake frequently (3 or 4 times a night). I suspect it's the muscle cramping waking me, although sometimes it's just a muscle twitching. I don't have trouble falling back to sleep usually, but it would be heaven if I could hit the pillow and not wake up until time to arise! :)

Archived